smxi

Gordon

Hi Folks,
Me again, i'm having trouble with my screen resolution. I usually use smxi to do this as i have an old graphics card and it installs a nvidia driver. I have tried to use tty1 and tty2 but it says it's controlled by V-Ger and i can't get it to root to use it. How do i get over this problem please  :)
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: Gordon on March 30, 2024, 10:44:47 AMHi Folks,
Me again, i'm having trouble with my screen resolution. I usually use smxi to do this as i have an old graphics card and it installs a nvidia driver. I have tried to use tty1 and tty2 but it says it's controlled by V-Ger and i can't get it to root to use it. How do i get over this problem please  :)

Are you sure you have sudo rights? In the How To step #9 details how you Give sudo rights to your new user (you).

Best way to test is from any terminal type in up from terminal, hit enter then enter your pw that will upgrade your system to the latest levels and tell us if you have sudo rights.

What you are seeing in tty1 &  tty2 (and all tty's) is just a tty label that I have set up.. It does not mean that V-ger has any control, it is just a label. So from tty1 you should be able to log in as you and run sudo smxi or login as root and run it on tty1. You also have to install smxi if you have not done so already as it is not something installed on VSIDO
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne,
well I typed in up from terminal and got this

Hit:1 http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid InRelease
Hit:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian experimental InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package from
E: Unable to locate package terminal

up from didn't work in root terminal

I also managed to get onto VSIDO root and it said it couldn't find smxi and neither could it find it when i cd to root gordon so now I am completely lost and don't know what to try next. help required please
cheers Gordon[/code]
Gordon

Gordon

Hi

Well I found smxi in the end and installed it as per their web site but it won't let me install it in either root terminal or in VSIDO root. it keeps telling me that I have to be root which I find very confusing so don't know what to do

cheers gordon
Gordon

VastOne

Several things Gordon... Will you please post what exact command you are using from terminal to get the root error?

1: You cannot sudo as root, there is no need to
2: the 'up' command is an alias and has sudo as part of it. root does not have built in aliases as the normal users do and again, root does not need sudo
3: As you found out, smxi is not a debian package and you must install it from the smxi website and per their instructions
4: From a terminal or your tty1 or tty2, type in su and hit enter and then enter your password. Then follow those instructions from the website.

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

if I log in as myself in root terminal and run smxi I get an error ( 8 ) message.
if I login in on VSIDO and cd / it changes to vsido@vsido:/$ and then use smxi I get an error ( 2 ) message. if I run terminal in vsido I get
vsido@vsido:~$ su
Password:
root@vsido:/home/vsido# smxi

------------------------------------------------------------------
Your X/Desktop (kde/gnome/xfce etc..) must be shutdown to run this script.
Since you are currently in X, you will need to run smxi again after
X has shutdown, and you have logged back in. You will lose any work
you have not saved on your running desktop.
1 - shutdown-your-desktop Kill X now. Remember, you will need to log back in,
    and start smxi again. 
2 - quit-script Quit smxi, don't shut down the current X session or desktop. 
Would you like to shutdown your X/Desktop now?
1) shutdown-your-desktop
2) quit-script
#?     

if I reboot I'll end up in the same place

Cheers Gordon
Gordon

Gordon

Just thought is there another way that i can alter the screen resolution
Gordon

VastOne

Quote from: Gordon on April 04, 2024, 01:45:59 PMHi VastOne

if I log in as myself in root terminal and run smxi I get an error ( 8 ) message.
if I login in on VSIDO and cd / it changes to vsido@vsido:/$ and then use smxi I get an error ( 2 ) message. if I run terminal in vsido I get
vsido@vsido:~$ su
Password:
root@vsido:/home/vsido# smxi

if I reboot I'll end up in the same place

Cheers Gordon

As soon as you reboot and before you login, do your ctrl alt f1 to your tty1 and then run it as root (just like you did above as su)..that is how it must be done

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

having real problem trying to get to root VSIDO, no matter how I type VSIDO in for the password or if I use my own password it won't let me onto root vsido all i get is authentication failure. how i got onto root before is a mystery, must have been pure luck

cheers Gordon

Gordon

VastOne

Quote from: Gordon on April 06, 2024, 01:19:37 PMHi VastOne

having real problem trying to get to root VSIDO, no matter how I type VSIDO in for the password or if I use my own password it won't let me onto root vsido all i get is authentication failure. how i got onto root before is a mystery, must have been pure luck

cheers Gordon

vsido should be roots pw on any new install including the fsarchive. Of course it is always recommended changing that

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi All.
Well I decided to start the whole process again from scratch. Reformated the drive, reinstalled fsarchiver. I didn't add a user, instead I reconfigured the keyboard to the UK first then changed VSIDO pw then went tty1 and used smxi to do the rest ( it was already installed ).

A question now, do i have to add a user or can i just use it as it is.

I still have to add my required programs.

Cheers Gordon.  :)
Gordon

PackRat

Adding a user isn't required, but you'll be running the system as root so there will be security concerns.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

There are 3 things IMO that should always be done and we detail them in the How To on the FSArchive page specifically with the following steps of 8 and 9

These things should be done once you boot and are logged into the new install the first time

8: Create your own user and /home

sudo adduser yourusername
9: Give sudo rights to your new user

sudo usermod -aG sudo yourusername
and the 3rd and equally most critical thing is to change the root PW to what you want it to be by doing this as root, so you might want to do this first.

passwd root
As RatMan pointed out, you definitely don't want to run a system as root.. as seasoned as some of us are here (RatMan, Jedi, Luke, dizzie and myself) we would never run as root all the time

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi All
As advised have done it all and downloaded the progs on the welcome screen. Just got to sort out autologin and a few other bits and bobs now if i can remember what to do.
Again many thanks to one and all.
Cheers Gordon  :)
Gordon