Trying to return

Gordon

Hi VastOne,
YIPEE.
I'm at last on VSIDO again. It appears that I was only doing one thing wrong with adduser and that was that I was logged in as root and using sudo as well. I dropped sudo and all is well.
Thanks for all your help.
Got another problem now, how do I change the keyboard layout as I have no idea which layout it is using and that going to cause me problems with all my passwords, it's probable the reason that I can't  log on to the  website on my computer.
Cheers Gordon  :)
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

Standard English keyboard layout is what is the default

You can also run the following from terminal to show you the layout

cat /etc/default/keyboard
It should show you the following

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne,

Sorry it's been a while but not been around.
I typed in what you said and got the results that you said i would get. the problem is that that is a US keyboard layout not a UK keyboard layout. anyway  now going to search and try to find out how to change the keyboard layout. My keyboard is a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000 so here goes

Cheers Gordon
Gordon

PackRat

Quote from: Gordon on March 28, 2024, 12:39:57 PMHi VastOne,

Sorry it's been a while but not been around.
I typed in what you said and got the results that you said i would get. the problem is that that is a US keyboard layout not a UK keyboard layout. anyway  now going to search and try to find out how to change the keyboard layout. My keyboard is a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000 so here goes

Cheers Gordon

As root:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
First screen is a list of keyboards - Generic 105-key PC is most likely selected. This list is what Debian detects as attached. (correlates to XKBMODEL="pc105")

Select OK, the next screen is the configured layout; English US is default. Scroll down and select "Other"
The available layouts list comes up. English (UK) will be available (or whatever language you need).

Once you make your selection and return to the console, restart the keyboard service (as root):

service keyboard-setup restart
You should have, a English (UK) keyboard setup. If not, you may need to reboot.

Debian Wiki Keyboard
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat.

Thanks for that. I've managed to do it after several attempts but all is well now. I've even managed to change my root password to the correct on now as well.

big thanks to VastOne and PackRat for all their time an help

Cheers Gordon
Gordon