Fluxbox questions

VastOne

Got anew receiver that brought 4k onto my desktop and instead of trying to revert back to 1920*1080 I decided to just make everything bigger and stay with the 3840*2160 resolution

I have done all right on everything except for icons within apps such as Chrome and SpaceFM, they are tiny as can be and even the url bar has tiny font that looks like it is 6 dpi or even smaller. Perhaps it is more a nVidia issue than a fluxbox but I thought I'd ask

lxappearance has been no help and google has not done much better
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Sounds like a scaling problem. Fluxbox settings aren't going to effect that.

Your font sizes are ok so you don't need to adjust the the Xft.dpi: setting in .Xresources?

Looks like an internal problem with the software and displaying mini icons. Does Firefox have the same issue as Chromium?

Have a read through this thread - 4k monitor scaling. Some other links in there.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

That link to Arch solved most of it, I seemed to have gad no dpi setting at all enabled and it wasn't until I first created a .Xresources file and ran

Xft.dpi: 144

I am still not quite there as I am not quite sure to put the following from that page.. this looks like it would directly affect the Spacefm icons which seem to be the only ones that are still tiny/miniscule

For gtk3

export GDK_SCALE=2          # UI scale
export GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5    # text scale

There was an internal setting that changed it on Spacefm and now it seems as of the only strange one remaining is how tiny the font is in the url of sites .. The image below is scaled higher by imgur .. it is roughly 1/3 smaller than that

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Found it all.. it was necessary to put those in .profile..

I am back to good

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Add those in to the build system. Comment them out, but put an explanation to un-comment for 4k monitors.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

The issue I have with this outstanding is why did it happen at all? I added a new high end hdmi cable and a new high end Denon receiver and got the higher resolution, I get that but why didn't X11 and nVidia talk this out? What should have happened from a nVidia side to rewrite xorg.conf to make this good?

I did go into nvidia-settings through out all of this and didn't see anything that made a difference

This is open for discussion

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Might just be Xorg showing it's age. Or Nvidia just not showing much support for Linux. You're right, the graphics driver should pick this sort of thing up. Not sure what's up with Nvidia. Their cards do not work well in Wayland at all.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo