New VSIDO Debian ISO available

VastOne

A new VSIDO Debian ISO was uploaded tonight, nothing more than cosmetic changes and all Sid and kernel levels updated. You can get it here

This marks the end of the Liquorix and Siduction ISO's.

This decision was made simply to ease the burden of maintaining 3 builds when an update to the Liquorix and Siduction kernel can be done easily within SMXI

I have installed and tested this build.  I would appreciate the Alpha Team testing it as well
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jst_joe

^ That's the way I've been doing installs, Liquorix has never played nice with my box on a fresh install.
Never had a problem with the Debian kernel, then like you said SMXI is  just a keystroke away.  ;D
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

Sector11

Have ISO Will Burn reads the card of a man.
In a plane without armour in a savage sky.

His fast plane for hire head's the calling wind.

Oh ... hi ... burning now.
Stay Home

jedi

Downloading now.  Will have results posted upon install completion,,,
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jst_joe

Everything went great with the new .iso.  :)
Only problem I saw was "k10temp unreliable thermal sensor" error on boot up but that happens even on a Debian net install .iso.
I know other AMD boxes have this problem because it's really easy to find with a Google search and seems to be pretty common.
I found the best fix if you have this error is to add this file to /etc/modprobe.d

File name:
k10temp.conf
options k10temp force=1
VSIDO
The view's not that bad you just have to punch the knothole out.

lwfitz

Just reinstalled and everything went swimmingly  ;D

Thanks for that Joe. I say that error and was just about to Google for a fix.
Don't Be A Dick!

Sector11

The new ISO installed perfectly twice here.

First Install

Using smxi, NVIDIA drivers would NOT install with the 'trunk' kernel ... tried a few times until I broke the GUI desktop.  Dropped to tty1 and ran sgfxi to no avail.  Reinstalled and there it sits - a native install.

Not a clue what I did wrong, but it has to be me.

The Second install

I pointed smxi straight at liquorix - and it took me to: 3.7.0-5.dmz.2 from 3.7.0-5.dmz.1 and then I grabbed NVIDIA's current driver: 313.18.  and wouldn't you know it
[Alt]+[F2]

nvidia-settings

blink!  There it is! Instant!

Whoa! Fixed - NOT!

I came back here to my default setip, grabbed the new 3.7.0-5.dmz.2 liquorix kernel, added the 313.18 driver ...
[Alt]+[F2]
nvidia-settings
blink! blink! blink!  There it isn't!

Hmmmmmmm.
Stay Home

BoredOOMM

Quote from: VastOne on February 04, 2013, 02:36:50 AM
This decision was made simply to ease the burden of maintaining 3 builds when an update to the Liquorix and Siduction kernel can be done easily within SMXI

What about adding a script (with disclaimer of course) that will automagically run smxi as root at install?

Sector11

One has to:
  • drop to tty1
  • login as the user

• name, and
    • password
  • switch to root {sudo su}

• - another password
  • run 'smxi'
Plus: not everyone wants to run smxi.
Stay Home

falldown

One option is during the post install script..
At the end it could say:
QuoteWould you like to run sudo smxi now in order to grab siduction or liquorix kernel?
Press "s" to skip or any key to continue

running sudo smxi in terminal will drop you into tty1.

Thats just a thought.

Sector11

Doing that left me at a blinking cursor.
Stay Home

falldown

Hmmm..
That is very strange..
The actual smxi site suggest that you run sudo smxi from terminal..
(after installing the script)
Quote# as root, run the following command
smxi
if you are in X (KDE, Gnome, etc), it will ask if you want to turn off X and start again.

I have used this method before when I first started using smxi and sgfxi.
I will have to try it later today.

Sector11

Can I run smxi in X/gui terminal?

Yes, but only with the smxi -G option, which turns off the initial kernel install question, the upgrade section, the warnings section, and the final graphics installer section.

Since the post upgrade section contains lots of useful things, none of which really depend on being out of your desktop or X, that's been opened up to run in X, so you can run things like Package Install, Cleanup, Kernel Install, Miscellaneous Tweaks, and so on without leaving your desktop.

The only place I can find where it says; "as root, run the following command" is in the install page:

Ok, so now we're ready to get the file, which contains smxi, svmi, and sgfxi.

# as root, run the following command
   cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/smxi.zip && unzip smxi.zip && smxi

If everything worked as expected, it should, if you are X (KDE, Gnome, etc), ask if you want to turn off X and start again.

This method installs smxi, svmi, and sgfxi, all ready to go.

I have always dropped to tty1 as per: How To - smxi Install and Setup
Stay Home

VastOne

Due to the nature of the scripts within smxi, I have 0 (zero) faith in smxi running while X is operating, thus I have only run it after dropping to tty and letting smxi gracefully shutdown X
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

falldown

Sounded simple enough.  ;D

This is a good example of why I do not try and write complicated scripts.  ???