Kernel 5.14.01 and nVidia woes

VastOne

This is already a solved issue but I am going to post it for anyone in the future for reference

Also ... It has been a while since I have done a How To or even been around.. I am still alive, still hoping for a different installer for VSIDO but also life happens and I love to golf... Cheers

I got back from a 2 week holiday with 2 of my sons, my daughter and my granddaughters up north to a massive update (obviously) and it included a new kernel jumping me from 5.10 to 5.14

I run nVidia latest drivers and didn't notice anything on the dkms build but honestly I was not really paying close attention... Upon reboot top that driver I was greeted with a failed to load start kernel module error and suspected it was a nVidia issue straight away.. This is how I solved it based on this nugget I found searching for a quick way to fix it

I started that kernel in repair mode which brings you to a spot to enter your root pw
I then used the following commands to start the network

(This was done a day later)

#ip link (it tells you what the card name is, in my case it was enp6s0)
# ip link set enp6s0 up

I then did the following:

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Right away I noticed that the nVidia drivers had been updated and that a fix was already in place

All I had to do was apply the following to commit the kernel and new packages together

dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-kernel-dkms

I then just typed exit for a reboot (or ctrl alt del)

And booted to 5.140-1 perfectly

For those who live by the POIDH (Picture Or It Didn't Happen) creed

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO