Hi PackRat
Sorry to say that didn't work
Lspci new that the card had been removed also
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

PackRat

Not sure what happened to you.

Should you go the reinstall route, get both network cards installed and connect with the wired ethernet. Boot the live image and see if lspci at least finds both cards. I don't know if the kernel will be new enough for the wifi card to work. If everything is working you can reinstall and the upgrade should get the newer kernel that will have support for your wifi.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat
Well I finally got the wired network working  so tomorrow I will do a reinstall and see if that sorts out the wifi card.
Gordon

VastOne

Before doing a reinstall I would investigate if it is a module or mod pak of some kind that may be not installed.. Let me research this a bit later today
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne
Ok will do. Won't do anything else till you post again  :)
Gordon

VastOne

We need to make sure firmware-iwlwifi is installed : Run this

sudo apt-get install firmware-iwlwifi

If it is then check out this page for more detail and info

Get back with us if you need a hand with installing from a tar file

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

I ran the command and this is the reply

Err:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid/non-free amd64 firmware-iwlwifi all 20201022-1
  404  Not Found [IP: 141.76.2.4 80]
E: Failed to fetch http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-iwlwifi_20201022-1_all.deb  404  Not Found [IP: 141.76.2.4 80]

Back again
Just done an upgrade to 5.10.0-2-amd64.
ran the command again and it installed the firmware.
while I'm on i alerted the network interface and added a line

allow-hotplug enp2s15

which then let me onto my wired connection, don't know if I should have or not but it seems to have worked. now to try my new card again
Gordon

Gordon

Hi Folks
Still no luck in geting it working. It knows that the card is there but won't connect on either wired or wieless if they are both plugged in or if I disconnect the wired line.
The command iw wlp2s0 info gives

Interface wlp2s0
Ifindex 3
Wdev 9x1
Addr 9c:fc:e8:f3:1c:22
Type managed
Wiphy 0
Tx power 0.00 dBm
Multicast TXQ:qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows drops marks overlmt hashcol tx-byts tx-packets
All with 0 beneath them

No idea what else to try.
Added wlp2s0 to the network interfaces folder configured to init dhcp
Gordon

VastOne

Post the contents of file /etc/network/interface please

Also, what does ceni show?  I know it may seem as if ceni is not showing a way to configure it, but when you run ceni it should show your two cards on the right hand lower side of the app.. If you select wlp2s0 and hit enter you should be able to modify it as long as you have the wifi information needed

Are you able to install wicd now and use it to configure since you have used it before?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Also you most likely will not see both working at the same time.. You must have either or connected and not both at the same time, Debian is not smart enough to arc both together as one without special commands

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne

First of all I have been doing loads of reading about Ceni and am completely baffled as what the how to says and snap shots show are the same as what I get when I launch it
Right etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0

allow-hotplug enp2s15

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface enp2s15 inet dhcp

# iface wlp1s0 init dhcp

Ceni

I hashed out the wlp2s0 to get onto the net, although I don't know if I needed to

┌ Network Interfaces ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│                                                                              │
│   Choose a network interface to configure:                                   │
│                                                                              │
│ ┌ Hardware interfaces ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │
│ │- no values -                                                             │ │
│ │                                                                          │ │
│ │                                                                          │ │
│ └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ │
│ ┌ Interface Actions ─────────────────────┐┌ Logical interfaces ────────────┐ │
│ │ Configure new logical interface ...    ││ enp2s15                        │ │
│ │ Configure all wpa-roam mappings ...    ││ eth0                           │ │
│ │                                        ││                                │ │
│ │                                        ││                                │ │
│ └────────────────────────────────────────┘└────────────────────────────────┘ │
│                              ┌──────────┐                                    │
│                              │[  Exit  ]│                                    │
│                              └──────────┘                                    │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

I will download and install wicd and see how that goes  :)
Gordon

Gordon

Hi VastOne
Am unable to download install wicd is now obsolete
Gordon

VastOne

Wait... So lspci is no longer showing the wlp1s0 card?

ceni should be showing it on the bottom right half no matter what

And so you know, whatever has changed in ceni, that no longer shows anything in the top portion, is what I was referring to earlier.. the only way you can configure now from ceni is selecting what is in the bottom right portion.. But if it is not even there, it is impossible

I am concerned that with the right firmware installed and correct kernel why this is not showing in ceni

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Unless ceni is also depracated now. May need to go with NetworkManager and nm-applet.

@gordon - how many network cards do you have attached to this computer? You are showing both the older eth0 and newer enp2s15 designations in your /etc/network/interfaces file. Usually not done that way.

Post the current output of "lspci" and "ip addr".
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

QuoteI hashed out the wlp2s0 to get onto the net, although I don't know if I needed to

So you could set up a wireless network on your router?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo