wifi card [ SOLVED ]

Gordon

Hi Folks
I need a wifi card and am considering buying a " intel AX 200 M.2 fenvi pcie next gen wifi 6  card " has anyone got one and are the drivers available for this distro ? or can you recommend a wifi card
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

VastOne

That card has had built in support into the kernel since kernel 5.1

Here is a review that talks about it working on linux

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi VastOne,

Thanks for the reply and info.
I did try to find  out if it was in the distro but didn't realize that it was already built it in so now I can go ahead and buy it Cheers  :) :)
Gordon

Gordon

Ok Folks
I have myself the wifi card from fenvi which is installed but noy working. What else do you expect from me. The worst part is neither is my hardwired working either. Something has changed enp2s15 to enp3s15 and i can't locate where to change it back. As far as he wifi side of things go i have been doing loads of searching on the net and located loads of how to's but none of them seem to apply to our version of debian. A lot of the commands they say to use don't work on this version and i haven't managed to find any  site that has all of the commands that work. Lspci does find the card and i have tried to alter the sbin/network/interface by adding iface wlan0 inet dhcp or iface wifi inet dhcp and wpa_sub ? and .... sky..... + password which didn't work either. Will have a otherbash at trying again tomorrow. Ceni doesn't seem to find it by itself. Can i install wicd as it seemed to work previously?
Gordon

PackRat

You can use ceni to re-establish your wired connection.It will overwrite the /etc/network/interface file with the new ethernet designation.

Ceni should also be able to establish your wired connection.

What does:

ip addr

output now? You should see the wireless. Normally it will be something like wlp1s0 not wlan0.

Have you set up a wireless network? You will need to access your router and give the wireless a name and password before you can connect.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat
All i get from ip addr is ( 1 ) lo and ( 2 ) enp3s15.
I've been reading up on ceni but not understanding it all as it mention scan but doesn't appear in ceni when i run it does that mean that I have to install a different version or something else
Gordon

PackRat

What is your kernel version?

uname -a

Your wireless card isn't showing up. If you have a pre 5.1 kernel, the support isn't built in. I don't know if there is an intel-firmware package for that card.

Get your wired connection working again? You will need to access your router and set up a wireless network. See your router's documentation for that.

Once your network and card are set up, you can use ceni to select the wireless card and go from on there. Scan for networks, select yours etc ....
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PacRat,
I did an upgrade a couple of days ago and if I remember correctly the kernel is 5.19.something but I'll check tomorrow.
I have a fenvi card and according to VastOne  the driver is inbuilt. My router is provided by SKY and I don't know if I can access it. I'll  try to get the wired network working tomorrow and see how it goes.
Gordon

Gordon

Hi PackRat
Just checked up on the kernal version and this is

5.10.0-1-amd64 #SMP Debian 5.10.4-1 ( 2012-12-31 ) x86_64/linux

Gordon

Gordon

Hi

ip addr not even finding enp2s15 now

Massive help needed now. Only solution yhat I can think of mow is a complete reinstall
Gordon

PackRat

If you remove the fenvi card, do you get your ethernet back? You may have a bad card messing everything up.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat
No I don't get the network back.
Gordon

PackRat

Quoteip addr not even finding enp2s15 now

It only shows the loopback interface?

Does -

lspci

recognize the ethernet card being there?

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat
Yes lspci does recognise that the card is present, at least I think it does.
The line says ( 02:00.0 network controler : intel corporation Wi -Fi 6 AX200 ( rev 1a ) )
Gordon

PackRat

That's the wifi card.
Does lspci no longer see your eternet card - this one

02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

That wifi card may be messing you up - bad card or something.

1. Remove that wifi card and make sure the ethernet card is properly seated
2. Edit you /etc/network/interfaces file so that only the loopback interface remains. The file will look like:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo                         
iface lo inet loopback

3. Reboot (you may or may not have internet/network) and re-run ceni with the wired interface and see if you get your internet/networking back.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo