The end of the VSIDO era

VastOne

I want to thank you all who stuck with this project for as long as you have..

By the end of day tomorrow, I anticipate this site will no longer exist as I have simply ran out of funds to even afford to pay a 70 dollar annual fee

I may try to run the site from my home with DDS .. not sure yet, but since there is so little traffic I am not sure anyone would notice

I do have it all backed up, the sad part is that it has always been a resource for solutions and honestly that is all I ever wanted

Cheers to you all .. I can always be reached at vastone at the gmail com
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

The site lives for one more year

I dev VSIDO

ozitraveller

Hi V-ger

A real shame it came to this! :( If you have time, and feel like it, I hope you popover to the Devuan forum for a chat! Things have come a long way since those Crunchbang days!

All the best for the future!  :) And good health! ;)

Ozi
you should have my email!

zephyr

@ Vger: Sorry to see VSIDO go, a real jewel of a Sid distro and absolute favorite! The look, feel and behavior were quite unlike any other! :'(

The same sentiment as Ozi, like to see you working with Devuan!

VSIDO will be a legendary distro, no other dev came close to having such an awesome Sid build!  8)

cheers

zephyr
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

blaze

Logical, but sad anyway. I am not active anyplace anymore myself, I just visit some good ol places sometimes just to see what is going on. So I can not complain. Good luck further VastOne, and may the kernel be with you!  :)

Best wishes, blaze.   
blazingaway

DeepDayze

Thanks for all the fish VastOne, and vsido will be missed. Hopefully someone can take your project over so it can live on.

VastOne

I appreciate that DeepDayze and really if I find an installer I will carry this on

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Which installers have you looked at?

Any familiarity with the Xebian Project??

It uses the Debian installer for a Sid install (I successfully installed it to metal the one time I tried). You can hit that code tab and see their configuration.

I tried getting a Sid build/iso from a Debian live-build setup. Someone else did the heavy lifting to set up a Debian stable system. But the build process would always fail. Maybe you can spot the tweak needed to get Sid to successfully build.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi VastOne

Just read this, I'm always way behind everything, so just dropped in to say that I will miss VSIDO greatly as I have enjoyed it. The only problems that I encountered were mostly of my own making. Please let me know what other version of Linux you would recommend. better still if you are involved with. I would also like to thank everyone involved with VSIDO for all their time and effort for making this distro so good. Sorry to see it go  :'(
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

DeepDayze

Quote from: PackRat on December 29, 2020, 02:04:37 AM

It uses the Debian installer for a Sid install (I successfully installed it to metal the one time I tried). You can hit that code tab and see their configuration.

I tried getting a Sid build/iso from a Debian live-build setup. Someone else did the heavy lifting to set up a Debian stable system. But the build process would always fail. Maybe you can spot the tweak needed to get Sid to successfully build.

Hey PackRat, I also remember you from the BunsenLabs forums and what about the BL installer and do you think it will work for Vsido?

PackRat

Quote from: DeepDayze on February 18, 2021, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: PackRat on December 29, 2020, 02:04:37 AM

Hey PackRat, I also remember you from the BunsenLabs forums and what about the BL installer and do you think it will work for Vsido?

That's the Debian installer. In theory you should be able to build a Sid distro with the Debian live-build system, but me and another user couldn't get to work. But the Xebian team is using the Debian installer so we just didn't know the trick to make it work.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Fuck this makes me sad......
I don't comment much anymore but I'm always lurking.

Quote from: VastOne on December 28, 2020, 06:15:26 PM
I appreciate that DeepDayze and really if I find an installer I will carry this on

Siduction  just released a new version using the Calamares (spelling?) installer. That would likely usable for you

Don't Be A Dick!

DeepDayze

Quote from: lwfitz on February 24, 2021, 06:13:49 AM
Fuck this makes me sad......
I don't comment much anymore but I'm always lurking.

Quote from: VastOne on December 28, 2020, 06:15:26 PM

Siduction  just released a new version using the Calamares (spelling?) installer. That would likely usable for you
Maybe then someone familiar with it might be of help in showing VastOne how to set it up to work with Vsido.

VastOne

Thanks Luke and DeepDayze

I am looking at calamares now and once I figure it out I'll let you know about it

I dev VSIDO

jeffreyC

You should take a look at the gazelle-installer, that is what MX-Linux and antiX use.

They looked at the calamares installer and (when they looked at it) it required a lot of KDE dependencies which made the ISO much bigger for no gain in function.