Screen Resolution [ SOLVED ]

Gordon

Hi Folks,

Me again. Had a load of trouble just recently. Windows screwed every up and I couldn't get anything to work but have now managed to VSIDO reinstalled again and back on line but am now left with a resolution problem. my screen doesn't support the insatall resolution so I need to change it but can' find the info on how to do it. help needed please as i have a box running around the screen at the moment.

More of a problem than I thought. I have two passwords that I used to log on one of which is set as root and when I use ctl alt f1 it won't accept either any ideas why
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

PackRat

For screen resolution, using xrandr to set screen resolution usually works.

What kind of graphics card? Installing the proprietary drivers may help.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

When to drop to a console with C-A-F1, what does the prompt say?

For example, mine is:

BANDIT-01 login:

Can you use sudo or su to root while you're in an X-session?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat.

well I tried the link you sent and followed the instruction via copy / paste and ended up with an error code 1 no idea what that is.

when I use ctl+alt+F1 it shuts my screen down and ask for login and password of which I have two and of which it will accept neither.

if i go in via root terminal using smxi it  starts out ok then ewnds up at the same place as if i started  with ctl alt F1 and I have no idea as to why

I have enough for today so I will try again tomorrow. cheers
Gordon

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Well I have been trying for ages now to alter my screen resolution with no success at all.

I have tried xrandr and its variations all with no luck.

I have been copying and pasting instruction from the web and nothing seem to work and I don't understand the help screen on xrandr. I either get bad intruction or not found.

Sorry forgot to answer your question C-A-F1, it is bruce login

I have been going through loads of folder / files using root spacefm and not managed to find where the file is that sets the resolution but there must be one somewhere, any ideas.

I am getting totally cheesed of with the box running around the screen and am thinking of moving to another version linux at the moment. which I don't really want to do.
Gordon

Gordon

After a lot of hassel I remembered that smxi install NVIDIA drivers  :-[ :D :D
Gordon