VSIDO x64 and x64_uEFI ISO’s updated 2019-MAR-26 14:16 CST

jedi

Good grief, looking at that,  :o ^^  :o I don't want to read it either.

It's the frigging book edition of, "My uEFI install went fine".   ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on March 28, 2019, 01:54:58 PM
Borked it trying to install nvidia drivers (the more things change, the more the stay the same), issue with the initramfs-tools again. System still booted and ran, but I hate that error message during upgrades so did a new clean install. Will stick with nouveau since I won't be gaming on this computer.

Hey PackRat, had the same issues with Nvidia myself for the last week.  Anyway, finally got it to install and work properly.  I had to blacklist nouveau right from grub.  I think part of my issue was using my own compiled kernel.  On the new install getting rid of the nouveau driver worked for me.  I have, dare I say, newish hardware, a GTX 980M.  There are a lot of commands you can use after the .run file such as --path-to-kernel that totally broke my system a couple of times.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

The nouveau driver is what killed me. I forgot the steps I took last time for nvidia; obviously missed one. But nouveau needs to be purged and blacklisted first.

QuoteOr is there another way to see at a glance if the connection is alive while in the fluxbox GUI?

You could probably do that in conky with the if_up variable. Since VSIDO is configured to set the ethernet as eth0 or wlan0 and not the new enpxxx wlpxxx nomencalture a user could set up the conkyrc to display something like ETH0: up/down speeds, or Wlan0: up/down speeds. Probably find one ready made in the BL conky thread.

Edit - that was easier than I thought; just change the config to the correct interface name(s).

conky.text = [[
${font Inconsolata LGC Markup:regular:size=32}${time %R}${font}
${font Inconsolata LGC Markup:regular:size=16}${time %A %e %B}${font}
${if_up enp2s0}ETH0:${offset 10}${upspeedf}${offset 10}${downspeedf}${endif}
${if_up wlp1s0}Wifi:${offset 10}${wireless_bitrate wlp1s0}${offset 10}${wireless_link_qual_perc wlp1s0}%${endif}
]];

This conkyrc is set with "if_up_strictness = address", options are up, link, address. So only the interface that is actually getting an ip address is showing.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I love the if_up in conky.. I use it for gmail like this

${if_up eth0} ${color 7D8C93}${voffset 5}VastOne  - ${execpi 25 python ~/gmail_parser.py your_login your_pw 3}${endif}

It is a near instant notifier I have in place that tells me the network or internet has shit the bed
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: jedi on March 28, 2019, 08:55:58 PM

Just a cut/paste really, of what is installed and what is not during the vsido-welcome...

cups cups-pdf system-config-printer printer-driver-hpijs ;  installed from vsido-welcome

openjdk-6-jre icedtea6-plugin ; does not install (i think java is up to 8? and icedtea6 is also a higher ver now)

libreoffice libreoffice-gtk ; should be libreoffice-gtk2 now or libreoffice-gnome?  IMO your better off removing this option.  Easily installs from apt-get.

git git-gui git-cvs git-svn git-email mercurial subversion subversion-tools bzr bzrtools cvs thunar-vcs-plugin geany version control tools ; installed from vsido-welcome

openssh-server ; installed from vsido-welcome

apache2 mysql-server php5 php-pear php5-gd php5-mysql php5-imagick php5-curl curl phpmyadmin rsync cronolog ; none of the LAMP stack part installs
E: Package 'php5' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'php5-gd' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'php5-mysql' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'php5-imagick' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'php5-curl' has no installation candidate
and so on etc...

build-essential debhelper cdbs dh-make diffutils patch gnupg fakeroot lintian devscripts dpatch dput quilt zenity clipit bashburn keepassx numlockx ; installed from vsido-welcome

gimp inkscape mtpaint shotwell darktable rawtherapee ; gimp does not install because gcolor2 is not available. remove it and the rest will install just fine.

Great information jedi.. When I can relax a little more I will work to update the vsido-welcome.. I need a rainy quiet weekend

:D

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteI had to blacklist nouveau right from grub

that's the step I forgot; blacklisting the nouveau-dkms; Step #7 in this nvidia How To.

Now have VSIDO all tidied up using nvidia-legacy driver.  ;D
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

QuoteDuring the new install, I used the legacy BIOS iso (uEFI iso on the first one) and the installer kept crashing - 3 tries. Crashes at the end of the disk partioning section, or right afterwards when it's suppose to start uncompressing the image.

This is the error log from the installer

This feels like I have missed something very basic and I am hoping @filip can see what I am missing

This has been confirmed on a new ISO build from today

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on March 29, 2019, 05:07:17 PM
that's the step I forgot; blacklisting the nouveau-dkms; Step #7 in this nvidia How To.

Now have VSIDO all tidied up using nvidia-legacy driver.  ;D

Wow.  Thanks for the link, (I wish I didn't need links like these) the conky which is already in use  ;D and everything else you do!  Thanks for the onscreen email back as well VastOne!   ;D
Forum Netiquette

jedi

By the way PackRat, beautiful scrot!  I'd love to have the pic of the wallpaper...   :-X
Forum Netiquette

PackRat

Quote from: jedi on March 30, 2019, 06:52:07 AM
By the way PackRat, beautiful scrot!  I'd love to have the pic of the wallpaper...   :-X

Meoto Iwa (married rock) Japan

I think I cropped one of those; Meoto Iwa if you want to search for more.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Installed tonight with zero issues at all.  Glad you're enjoying the new machine VastOne!
Don't Be A Dick!

filip

WARNING: Device /dev/sda1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 1000000 microseconds

Seems to be a grub/lvmetad issue. Is that on UEFI or regular BIOS?
If UEFI, there's a slight possibility that it's the GRUB complaining due to missing parameter for efi dir. I'll look into it...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=242689
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=918590

@BIOS ISO installer crash:

Judging by the log, it can't find the squashfs image... Something is either wrong with the latest ISO or something changed with the live-build (or the buildsystem vsido uses), since the 17th March ISO does have:/lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfswhile the 20th March one does not (thus the crash --> installer can't find the image to extract/unsquash). :)

VastOne

Hello filip and thank you for stopping in to assist

The grub delay is in the uEFI ISO (It is the only one functional right now)

This is an image of me logged into the latest ISO (26th but it has the same failure). You can see the properties and the actual location within the file manager that shows that

/lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.squashfs

is there and in the correct place.. I checked this immediately when this happened

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I also confirmed that the filesystem.squash is there by using the old installer and succeeding..

However, I could not use the menu driven installer (yad based) because it could not see the (null)dev/sda1 as a device or as a block device

I ran the non gui installer version of it and it installed fine..

Is it possible that the linstaller updates I applied failed on this build?

I can also confirm that the

Device /dev/sda1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 1000000 microseconds

error is on the non uEFI version too

It is almost as if udev is broken because it cannot seem to locate any of its own settings and devices

I dev VSIDO

filip

Hey, sorry for being MIA, had really no time to look further into the issue(s)... Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to dig into it :)

Regarding udev thing, looks to me it's either due to lvm, udev or grub itself.

Found another report here: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?38315-Problems-Dual-Booting-Kali-Linux-with-Windows-10-(No-signs-of-GRUB-bootloader)&p=75818

If you have time/make it before I do, it'd be good to at least eliminate grub by reinstalling it manually from an already installed system followed from live as well.Just do the usual mantra:# live only: 
# mount the root partition at /mnt and then:
mount --bind /dev /mnt/devmount --bind /sys /mnt/sysmount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# /live only

grub-install --recheck /dev/sdX #for BIOS, adapt for UEFI as usual
update-grub

If you don't get the timeouts, then it's probably not a grub issue :)