APRIL 2018 last ISO?!?! What the hell happened to VastOne

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Thanks everyone... I do appreciate the encouragement

Ran into issues on the test installs.. No drives are mounting so I have nothing to install to and I cannot determine yet if it is a VBox issue or a debian. I also do not have network and believe that will be easier to resolve..

I worked almost 11 hours today and I am exhausted and I am going to call it a day.. Sorry for the delay

Anyone want to throw ideas at me on how to solve both, I will listen to everything... I am rusty and not ashamed to admit it

Niters
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

The network issue was internal here at the homestead and resolved...

The drives not mounting is a V-Box issue and I need to find out what that is.. The April 2018 ISO's are doing the same thing

Will upload later tonight no matter what

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

More updates..

This appears to be a Debian issue with fstab after all.. For whatever reasons the fstab that has always been created correctly is now a blank file or incomplete to say the least..

I am back to frustration levels on extreme high alert and need to trace if it is Debian or something in the build script that has not changed.. IOW it will take a while

Open to a discussion on what it could possibly be

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I did trace an error message to the installer.. the last message I got running the installer as root was 'msdos disk labels do not support partition names' and doing a quick search Redhat had the same issue with their installer years ago 

More to work with now and it also explains why both installers failed.. It is by all accounts a gparted issue but I am no closer to a solution.. I am sure there is an update to the installer I need to focus on that may fix this and I should have time this weekend to do just that

Progress is slow but it is happening

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Success but at a price

Was able to install after I completely wiped both drives on the V-Box setup

So in order to install VSIDO you have to destroy everything?

Nahhhhh

There has to be a better solution...

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I believe there will be an update to the installer that has this resolved and I will dig into that this weekend

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Nothing new with the installer development at all.. I am stuck back at square one as to why or how this is possible or to fix

'I threw my hands in the air and said show me something'

Rihanna - Stay

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This is the complete error when trying to install.. Note that it is a call from python 2.7 to the python parted partition script

File "/usr/share/linstaller/linstaller/modules/partdisks/front/glade/__init__.py", line 2643, in manual_frame_creator
    elif name and part.name:
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/parted/partition.py", line 135, in get_name
    return self.getPedPartition().get_name()
_ped.PartitionException: msdos disk labels do not support partition names.

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Two things that stick out to me:

python2.7

Is python3 now required for the partitioning tool called by the script? That would deprecate the whole installer wouldn't it?

msdos disk labels do not support partition names.

Maybe missing some dependency like mtools?

Are you using a msdos partition table? Maybe try with a gpt partition table and see if that works; although that's not really recommended for legacy BIOS setups.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

On the python questions, I have no idea.. seems backwards compatibility has taken a backseat in the Debian world and seems more a question for the developers of the installer

mtools is stock installed in VSIDO

I am not sure on the gpt question, if I understand it all you would have to wipe everything to go to a gpt partition table so if you have to do the same with an msdos table, why would you?  As to if I am missing a msdos partition table, these machines and V-Box setup have always had the exact same msdos partition tables from the beginning...

The solution (create a msdos partition table while in LiveCD) seems as if that is the issue, but how is that possible if there always was a partition table and the April 2018 ISO's no doubt see the partitions and partition table

??? ??? ???

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quoteseems backwards compatibility has taken a backseat in the Debian world

Python world. Some good scripts and tools don't work with python3. Sucks because 2 versions of python is a lot of bloat and cause issues with the system alternatives symlinks.

QuoteI understand it all you would have to wipe everything to go to a gpt partition table so if you have to do the same with an msdos table, why would you?

gpt is required fro UEFI boot/patitions. It can be used with legacy BIOS but isn't recommended. Never seen a clear explanation why; data loss maybe.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Tried to get through disk management step without pre-partitioning, with pre-partitioning, new msdos table, enabling the root account.

Hangs at that step every time. And this is all older hardware.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo