user friendly?

Garthhh

Looking at vsido as noob, I haven't found much about how many hoops I'll have to jump through to do everyday tasks?
I need a new community
I'm using mageia, but I've torqued off, one of the principle workhorses on the forum
While it's nice that one can go to the cli & fuss around with the guts, give me a GUI thank you very much...

Sector11

Hey Garthhh - Welcome to VSIDO.

Yes, VSIDO is user friendly, use the XFCE4 session.  VastOne made it look and feel great!

It comes fully loaded and we're here to help.

↓↓↓ we even have our own jedi!
Stay Home

jedi

Garthhh,
I'm Jedi welcome to VSIDO!!!  We are a pretty tight nit community here and quite easy going and easy to get along with.  This is the perfect Linux distribution for anyone!  A very simple and quick install, great forum with plenty of folks to ask questions of, and of course, VSIDO comes with a GUI.  Two as a matter of fact.  You can choose from Xfce, or OpenBox, both of which are easy to config, and very pleasing to the eye!  If your into eye-candy, there is also plenty of that to go with it as well.  VSIDO is based on Debian, which will celebrate 20 years this August, so a very stable and dependable base to start off with.  If you have trouble installing or getting something to work just make a post here in the forums with enough info for one of us to help you.  May take a little while for someone to get back to you, but there is usually someone in here all the time!

Again, welcome to VSIDO!

Jedi
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

falldown

Welcome Garthhh.

VSIDO will be just as difficult as you want it to be.
You can boot it up and not touch a thing, yet be productive.
Or
You can boot it up and tweak every aspect of the system to your liking.

No hoop jumping here..  ;D
We have a very good community here full of linux lovers that will help you with any issue you may have.

VastOne

Hey Garthh and welcome to VSIDO!  ;D

Just one question, have I ever let you down before?

Xfce 4.10 or OB... I have tweaked OB to be a lot like Xfce, I can go days in OB and not even realize I was in it

Let us know what you need and we will do our best to get you there, as you can see you have a line of great folks ready to assist
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Garthhh

What can I do about my 32 bit machines?

VastOne

Nothing with VSIDO, it remains to be seen if 32bit will be built.

I have spent the last several days rebuilding my 'design pit' and all of my dev machines and I hope this gives me a better chance..

The issue is 32 bit dependencies in a sid environment.  In the debian 32 bit netinstall I did every thing was fine until I needed to add all the packages that make up VSIDO, at that point it puked Exorcist green slime

I dev VSIDO

falldown

Just for reference..
##THIS IS PUKE GREEN##  :-X

Garthhh

I really don't want to have to use a terminal /text  editor to do set up stuff
I get open box/xfce
That being said
I do have a 64 bit lappy without a hdd to play around with

The community, looks fine, no tyrants in evidence.  :D

Garthhh

I do know VastOne & Sector11 from other stuff
VSIDO is a direct descendant of Debian?
I don't see a torrent as such?

VastOne

This link pretty much sums it up

V SID O = Vast Sid One = Debian SID

I have not been able to find a successful tracker to broadcast the torrents from.  I have tried linuxtracker.org but have not received confirmation yet

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

Get that lappy a hummin' garthhh - you'll be just fine here.

If the GUI app you want isn't here - synaptic will get it for you.

We're all here to help.
Stay Home

Garthhh

The pm system here has decided I must decifer, add & such for every message

VastOne

I do not understand what you mean.  Are you saying it is asking for captcha and the same questions as when you signed up for the first time here on the forums?

I dev VSIDO

Garthhh

yes capcha & such
after I sent the1st pm, worked as expected now
wierd
maybe I need to add a pole/poll

;D