March 2018 Screenshot Thread

PackRat

Let the madness begin -
Please remember to use thumbnails  ;D

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

more fluxbox; style work in progress:

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

ozitraveller

@PackRat - nice clean, I like it! :)

VastOne

At one time I thought xfce was king

Tis light still and installs real easily.. if it wasn't for FluxBox and other derivatives xfce would easily be the best choice

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@vastone -

Ever configured xfce to use fluxbox as the window manager? That's kind of interesting since you get the session management of xfce with fluxbox window management.

Edit - put my money where my mouth is; Xfce4 session with fluxbox as the window manager:

Get the benefit of fluxbox apps file (grouped xfce4 terminals) and window decor management. Fluxbox controlling the key bindings for window management - much more control that xfce4; xfce4 controls the desktop and panel.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

That sounds fascinating RatMan... might have to try it

Never would have thought of it..
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Slow day, straight up xfce4 with conky. Using xfce4 native compositing so put a border around conky for some texture to the conky window, looks better than just a semi-transparant rectangle on the desktop. I wounder if rounded window corners has ever been requested as a conky feature?

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

^^Just lost a books worth of a reply by hitting the reload button. :(  All about my old t400 laptop.  Anyway, I'll try not to post so many scrots...   bwahahahahaha
(obviously this is my t400 laptop scrot.moe for the day, not my MSI)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

Another t400 scrot.  Pretty impressed with this little beast!  Thrown pretty much everything at it with no problems at all.  I did find out that GMusicBrowser only works right when you have the correct folder ssh'd and mounted...  Go figure.  Yeah, I forgot to mount the music folder and couldn't figure out why all of the music kept getting removed...  duoh! 

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

riV

hello PackRat  and everyone
It started with a screencapture. It spun into disorientation looking through five years of conky.  Now left me in chagrin to re-find the recent jedi's 20180227a [/6V3nj] screencapture of February 22 shows conky with a keyboard key-state indicator.  finally found it again.  I do not know where best to post this : in screenshots February is past or in the conky thread.  I wish to know more about the key state indicator, please, jedi.  In the meantime I have convoluted a meager key indicator that does not look in conky so fantastic as that of jedi's screencapture. 
jedi. can You please send me in the right direction about that conky indicator? or show the code / script?  for key state.  seems useful for a machine that is without visual indicator.  how much resources does that eat? 

jedi

Hey riV.  It is a conky that calls a script.  Here is the script called 'header.sh';
#!/bin/sh
# header.sh
# by Crinos512
# Usage:
#  ${execp ~/conky/mine/header.sh} #obviously this needs to point to where you store the script
#OSVer=""`lsb_release -i | cut -f 2| tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]"`" ( "`lsb_release -r | cut -f 2`" )"
#WMVer=`Xfwm --version`
Updates=`aptitude search "~U" | wc -l | tail`
#Conky=`\{conky_version\}}`

#echo "\${voffset -20}\${font Diamond Fantasy:style=Bold:pixelsize=20}\${alignc}\${color}\$nodename\${font}"
#echo "\${font Liberation Sans:style=Bold:pixelsize=11}\${alignc}~ \$kernel \$machine ~"
#echo "\${alignc}~ $OSVer ~ $WMVer ~"
echo " \${alignc}${Updates} Sys Upd"
#echo "\${alignc}~ $Conky  ~"
#echo "\${alignc}~ Uptime: \$uptime_short ~\${color}\${font}"
#echo "\(Conky \${conky_version}\${exec conkyForecast -V})"
echo "\${font xirod:Bold:size=6}NUM: \${exec xset q | grep Num |awk '{print " "\$8}'}  \${font}"
echo "\${font xirod:Bold:size=6}CAPS: \${exec xset q | grep Caps |awk '{print " "\$4}'}  \${font}"
exit 0

Wherever you want the keyboard indicators to appear, just call it from the appropriate place in your conky with the following;
${execpi 9 ~/conky/mine/header.sh}

To my knoweledge the script was written by 'crinos518' whom I haven't seen online in years?  The script does much more than just show the caps lock and num lock state.  Any line with a '#' in front of it is not seen by the script when it runs.  It has lots of goodies.  Enjoy...
Good Luck!
Forum Netiquette

riV

hello PackRat
Thank You muchly, jedi.  I will give that a try.  Crinos51two8 is not found here at vsido,, found in other places an indication Crinos51two8 said to use freely the scripting.  Is it okay to share freely? did I get that right?  The chagrin part is that I started talking about the key state in another forum,, now,, this code provenance will include that it came through jedi.  Thanks. 

riV

hello PackRat
hi jedi.  Have no idea why it works.  Here it is:
${color}key ${color7}state active
${color7}NumLock   ${exec xset q | grep Num |awk '{print "  " $8}'}
${color7}Caps Lock ${exec xset q | grep Caps |awk '{print "  " $4}'}

There is some kind of awk default to print, so somehow it could be shorter. what do you think? can it be shortened?
Without Your start at it I never could have got this. thanks.
There is alternate ways, better way?
Is it close enough to not be considered silliness?
Fingers- crossed here that you say it is ready to share. is it ready?  If not, then stop me here before it makes me look silly elsewhere please.  I will wish to include the code You passed along as the starting point. 

PackRat

@riV - using grep with awk is usually overkill - using the big hammer to pound finishing nails sort of thing.

Just use awk by itself and use grep with sed.

and you don't necessarily need the heading in your conky, you can do it all with awk, use quotes to space:

[pts/0]-[~]% xset q | awk '/Caps Lock:/ {print $2 " " $3 " " $4}'
Caps Lock: off
[pts/0]-[~]% xset q | awk '/Caps Lock:/ {print $2 " " $3 " " $4}'
Caps Lock: on
[pts/0]-[~]% xset q | awk '/Num Lock:/ {print $6 " " $7 " " $8}'
Num Lock: on
Num Lock: off

back on topic -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Actully, the way that xset is output, you can just use the first character -

[pts/4]-[~]% xset q | awk '/00:/ {print $6 " " $7 " " $8}'
[pts/4]-[~]% xset q | awk '/00:/ {print $2 " " $3 " " $4}'
Caps Lock: off
[pts/4]-[~]%

fun with text parsing  ;D
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo