LightDM

falldown

I wanted to post this here in our section so that we could all try to solve this.

I have installed VSIDO several times (old and new images) and I get the same rainbow screen at login..

similar to this.

Now this goes away after I install my nvidia drivers (separate machines)
I searched the web for answers but have found nothing to resolve this.

What I am concerned about is that others might be getting the same result as I am.
In my opinion this is a HUGE turnoff when booting a new distro for the first time..
not to mention that some people are more comfortable with using the default graphics driver.

By no means am I saying anything negative about VSIDO or the amazing work you are doing VastOne.
I am using VSIDO as my main desktop.

VastOne

I have seen this too, though never on the LiveCD portion.  I believe it is a cache that nVidia stores and impacts nouveau.  Like you, once I install the nVidia drivers the issue goes away.

I will continue to sort this one out...

Thanks for raising this topic
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

I use NVIDIA drivers as well.  I'm curious if someone using a different driver sees the same thing.
I've never thought about it.   But falldown is right.  It could be a turn off for some.

PS: Here waiting for the plumber again.
Stay Home

falldown

VastOne I haven't the slightest clue how one makes a distro, but I am assuming that the iso is a copy of an existing desktop.?.
Is it possible that the original desktop has nvidia driver installed? and if so could that be causing a conflict in nouveau when ran from different hardware?

VastOne

No, I only use nouveau drivers when building it which are the same standard/stock drivers for all of Debian.  It is not coming from the build or we would see it on every LiveCD boot and install.

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

I get the lightdm "garbage" too, to me it looks like a framebuffer issue. dont have it on my second pc which uses a onboard "graphiccard", its a minor "cosmetic" issue :)
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

falldown

Thank you dizzie.
I agree that it is a minor cosmetic issue, but gives that first impression. Which is important.

jedi

hmmm.  Never happened to me.  I've installed VSIDO appx 25 or 30 times...  I have the Optimus/hybrid graphics...  All my installs have been on the same machine though, so probably why I've never seen this issue...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

falldown

Thanks Jed.. that kind of makes the issue more confusing.
I'm curious as to what is the trigger to the lightdm "garbage" (as dizzie described it) is?

VastOne

I think the best solution is to get rid of a background within lightdm and just have a bland black setting.  It may or may not eliminate the issue, as I do not think it is a lightdm problem

I dev VSIDO

falldown

I have no clue what the culprit is VastOne.

I do know that it is not consistent on my test.
I use 2 machines.. both are similar nvidia cards and similar processors.
Both installs are original VSIDO.. no personal configs on either.
I get the scrambled lightDM background roughly 3 out of 4 boots.

VastOne

Thanks falldown, I am not sure either and for the first time I did see the same thing on a LiveCD

I will track this down    >:(

I dev VSIDO

dizzie

Quote from: falldown on January 31, 2013, 08:18:05 PM
I'm curious as to what is the trigger to the lightdm "garbage" (as dizzie described it) is?

Thats good old grumpy mr framebuffer to you
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |