Nitrogen and conky not playing well together

PackRat

Anyone else having this issue with nitrogen and conky -

I will change the wallpaper with nitrogen while conky is running. However, the settings are not saved and "nitrogen --restore" fails. Either get the old wallpaper, or a blank desktop.

In a terminal:

nitrogen --restore

yields this error:

UNKNOWN ROOT WINDOW TYPE DETECTED, will attempt to set via normal X procedure

The fix appears to be to:

1. stop conky
2. set new wallpaper

So the conky (1.10) window seems to be messing nitrogen up.

Extreme fix is to delete the two files in $HOME/.config/nitrogen and then set the wallpaper with nitrogen without conky running.

As an added measure, I also added a "sleep 5s &&" to the conky line in ~/.fluxbox/startup and start it up last.

This behavior also occurs in openbox; same fix.

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on July 15, 2017, 04:28:18 PM
Anyone else having this issue with nitrogen and conky -

Not having any issue.  My 'goto' and up-to-date regular vsido.  Just tried resetting wallpaper and logged out and it was fine.  Also did a convenient 'up' and rebooted, wallpaper was fine.  Sorry no issues with conky through that either.

Hmmm, now after a little playing, can't break it at all...  :)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Looks to be a conky bug. I have the same issue in VSIDO (desktop) and Void (laptop). If I don't run conky, there is no issue.

If I get motivated, I'll try different conkyrc and see if the issue persists. With a bit of luck it will be a simple setting to avoid.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

that might be it. (setting)  I've got 4 conky's running that are started in my ~/.fluxbox/startup file.  They are started in a 'staggered' manner and using ver 1.10 of Conky.
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous