VSIDO Build 2017

PackRat

Bit late, but I went ahead and ran the vsido-welcome script.

Couple of issues.

1. I decided to not install the java so I pressed "s" - skipped the install of java all right, but launched right into an install of libreoffice. I scrolled back and saw the opening screen where is asks if if a user wants to skip or install. The script just assumed I wanted libreoffice. Probably a sticky key on my keyboard. Ever happen before?

2. On the version control list, there are geany and - probably more importantly - thunar-vcs-plugin. Not sure geany is a version control tool, and won't that thunar plugin need to pull in thunar as a dependency? Legacy entry from when thunar was installed by default?

Other than that pretty smooth. After installing gimp (from apt), and cups w/ libreoffice from the welcome script, I'm sitting at 3G install. Pretty svelte.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

Amazing activity here, folks. That's how a team works! I really like the idea of this fat trimmed Vsido release.

If I'm allowed to chime in, now that you're finally fully adapting Vsido to systemd and redoing the exit script accordingly, is consolekit still necessary for anything else? I guess it might be left out of the equation. AFAIK, systemd is completely in charge of the former ck functions. Not sure about polkit. I guess it would be still needed for something.

QuoteNothing but rumors that systemd was phasing out fstab...  I think fstab is past its time and should be replaced and I am ready for it to happen

Oh, it isn't already? I thought this switch was already completed. Not experienced enough with systemd I'm afraid.

hakerdefo

@PackRat,
lsb-release problem could arise because of either of these two,
First the package "lsb - release" is missing.
Second there is a synax problem in "/etc/lsb-release" file. The correct synatx goes something like this,

DISTRIB_ID=Debian
DISTRIB_CODENAME=VSIDO
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="VSIDO (A Debian Sid Distribution)"
You Can't Always Git What You Want

hakerdefo

Regarding "vsido-welcome" perhaps time for a new one.
Give me the categories-packages list you would like to see in the "vsido-welcome" script and I can give you a new script :)

hakerdefo

@Snap
consolekit can be dropped but polkit is required.

VastOne

I am taking a bit of a break from the complete heads down mode I have been in for several weeks. I am a wee bit tired

When I feel up to it again I will begin work with the login script

I need to golf and ride my bike.. that would solve a lot

Fucking winter
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: Snap on January 29, 2017, 07:57:40 AM
Amazing activity here, folks. That's how a team works! I really like the idea of this fat trimmed Vsido release.

This snap has always been my goal with VSIDO.. to have a think tank type philosophy and a working direction to build from..

I just want to be the 'creator' not the creation... What I have done over the last three weeks is to build (finally) a repeatable and functional build environment.. Now it is easy to implement things and start over just as fast as it is to install VSIDO.. you cannot imagine how different this is now.. For years I have 'hoped' nothing broke the build environment because it was the original creation and honestly I was not sure I could get it back outside of fsarchives.. but that is not a healthy environment depending on others and outside scripts to keep a build alive

That has changed now.. and after a little bit of a break to catch my breath, I want to get back at several different areas where we can all make VSIDO leaner, meaner and better than ever

Thank you all for being a part of this think tank

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 29, 2017, 08:13:15 AM
@PackRat,
lsb-release problem could arise because of either of these two,
First the package "lsb - release" is missing.
Second there is a synax problem in "/etc/lsb-release" file. The correct synatx goes something like this,

DISTRIB_ID=Debian
DISTRIB_CODENAME=VSIDO
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="VSIDO (A Debian Sid Distribution)"

It's installed by default.

original file:

DISTRIB_ID=VSIDO V-Ger x32
DISTRIB_RELEASE=V-Ger
DISTRIB_CODENAME=V-Ger
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian V-SID-O"

I think that first line should be in quotes - like the last line. I changed it to:

DISTRIB_ID=VSIDO
DISTRIB_RELEASE=V-Ger
DISTRIB_CODENAME=V-Ger
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Debian V-SID-O"

and did a dist-upgrade, icluding a kernel upgrade, and didn't see the error. I should have quoted that line, will try that next upgrade.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

That first line was the only line with a space in it and not quoted... I am guessing that was the issue and will test and modify it

Thanks Packrat

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

I don't have the latest VSIDO ISO so can anyone post the output of the following commands from the latest version,

cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
cat /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults

PackRat

cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
#
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/downloads"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/images"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/videos"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/bin"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/tmp"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/backup"

$ cat /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults
# Default settings for user directories
#
# The values are relative pathnames from the home directory and
# will be translated on a per-path-element basis into the users locale
DESKTOP=Desktop
DOWNLOAD=Downloads
TEMPLATES=Templates
PUBLICSHARE=Public
DOCUMENTS=Documents
MUSIC=Music
PICTURES=Pictures
VIDEOS=Videos
# Another alternative is:
#MUSIC=Documents/Music
#PICTURES=Documents/Pictures
#VIDEOS=Documents/Videos
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

/etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults is the actual default but is overridden by the initial /etc/skel copy on the very first login of a new user 

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I have accomplished all that I wanted to do with these builds and processes..

I have a new repeatable build phase by phase process that is also documented

Phase I - Base of VSIDO with a new build of Debian Sid with just the etc/skel and /usr/local/bin and a few other areas (icons and cfg files) inact..these are the guts that are added to give VSIDO the look and assembly

Phase II was to add the most basic back Fluxbox, X11, terminal, SpaceFM

Phase III began the process of what apps were necessary for Network setup and Internet and fundamental tools for restoring or Recovery CD

Phase IV I just completed adding back the basics for multimedia. GMusicBrowser is and installed and is now ully functional. MPV is the video player that also acts as the audio device for music playback in GMB. I was not aware at how powerful MPV was as a media player. In short, it just plays everything

What is shocking to me is that adding the two of those and getting a VSIDO Multimedia build only added 12 more MiB to the ISO's. What I thought would be the most difficult was actually the easiest

They are now uploaded to the test site and are fully functional. I have also cleaned up all the menus..

This could be released as a replacement for VSIDO if I wanted to go that route.. It is more than 200 MiB's smaller than the current full version ISO's

x32 is 374 MiB
x64 is 371 MiB

Mission accomplished

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Looks good. Real quick boot time to live session.

The menu entry for mpv won't work. You can't just launch mpv, it needs some options (basically what to play).

launch mpv

will silently fail, run that in a terminal and you'll see some options along with:

Usage:   mpv [options] [url|path/]filename

launch mpv <path to my music directory>     # will start playing files in music (video) directory

launch mpv <path to music/video file>         # will play a particular file

launch mpv dvd://                                       # will play a dvd if libdvdcss is installed

There are some examples in the man page and on their websites for the various options.

Or you can install a frontend for mpv - smplayer which is qt based, or gnome-mpv which is gtk.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Correct... I had that listed to edit and forgot it..

Thanks

I dev VSIDO