VSIDO Build 2017

VastOne

In a discussion that started here this space is reserved to discuss the build process

I will be keeping a journal of the process here

Phase III of this endeavor is completed with the above toolset added except for Firefox or any browser at all

These are the files needed to get to the goal of Phase III which was to have a build to the point of a fsarchive and add specific tools.. think of these as Silos now as development goes forward.. this is the repeatable process I never had to do what I have really wanted in testing different setups and builds. 

xorg fluxbox lightdm spacefm lxappearance udevil medit xfce4-appfinder dbus-x11 bleachbit psmisc tint2 conky-all xfce4-terminal consolekit policykit-1 yad ncdu rsync squashfs-tools xorriso live-boot live-config live-boot-initramfs-tools live-config-systemd syslinux-common syslinux isolinux liblzo2-2 mtools libburn4 libisoburn1 libisofs6 libjte1 xdotool wmctrl gksu gparted live-tools user-setup xterm nitrogen mirage fsarchiver libcurses-perl libterm-readkey-perl libcurses-ui-perl libio-stty-perl libio-pty-perl libexpect-perl libnl-3-200 libpcsclite1 wpasupplicant scrot curl libgtk2-perl ntfs-3g p7zip-full xfsdump xfsprogs btrfs-progs btrfs-tools curlftpfs xfce4-screenshooter hardinfo bum grsync ssh-askpass lvm2 xarchiver fonts-liberation htop

and these refracta tools

refractainstaller-base_9.1.9-1_all.deb
refractainstaller-gui_9.1.9_all.deb
refractasnapshot-base_9.3.4_all.deb
refractasnapshot-gui_9.3.4_all.deb

also included is the default VSIDO /etc/skel which is the default desktop ... and all /usr/local/bin tools (hakerdefo goodies included!)

There is also an attachment of current installed apps on the released VSIDO to use as a checklist for apps

First bit of news:

New builds using mini.iso .. built using advanced install options and only the base software (no DM) just to the point of a tty login

The initial sizes are

x32 = 212.6 MiB fsarchive
x64 = 204.3 MiB fsarchive

which is close to ISO sizing

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Next up: fluxbox and lxdm to get to a login

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Ended up sticking with LightDM and here is an update...

I have built an x32 system to the level of lightdm, fluxbox, all of Xorg, spacefm, xfce4-terminal and xfce4-appfinder (f2 Run app) and the default /etc/skel and I would say 60% of the apps needed so far and refracta build suite. The remaining stuff though is the fat junk (Firefox and all of the media needed files)

First ISO build is a svelte 320 MiB ...  this is a good beginning but it did take all damned day and a LOT of brain bruising to remember shit I did 5 years ago to get things back as they are.. some are the same and others I shoehorned different ways

For me the hard part is done.. now it is just adding the basic tools to fill the menus ... I still have my doubts about whether this will be any smaller but it has been a fun challenge to get here

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Once the build process is done and you have cleaned the house by,
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove
dpkg --list | grep '^rcb' | awk '{ print $2 }' | xargs dpkg -P

The following will list the installed packages by size,
dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
Or if you use aptitude,
aptitude -O installsize -F'%p %I' search '~i'
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Will do.. thanks mate!

What would be cool is if I could fsarchive this x32 bit and restore it.. (I can) and covert that to x64

That would save a shit ton of time... wishful thinking

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Installed VSIDO 320 MiB and installed.. not a complete build but a enough to get an install ...

That's a small footprint... PackRat.. Now is when I need you to talk about what you would want as your base recovery CD and we build from there...

I could have the footprint stay right here and alter the login first run script to install the rest.. lot of possibilities..

I WANT INPUT!

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

For the the recovery CD, I just need the basic apps to edit text files and partition/format hard drives.

terminal (xterm is fine)
spacefm, udevil -> not sure about fuse
medit, nano
partitioning tools -> fdisk, cfdisk (I like the ncurses interface), the newer ones for gpt
gparted -> but with the file support for btrfs and xfs
ntfs-3g -> I have Windows machines  :'(
wget
curl
archive tool -> fsarchiver, p7zip-full
wicd -> or just ceni
firefox-esr -> not as buggy, doesn't get whacked by gtk

That's really all I can think of past the base system, coreutils stuff.

Do you use any specialty networking and forensics tools? Those are always handy to have. Hakerdefo probably has few favorites.

Just the basic gtk and icons, don't need any of the multimedia apps.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

Quote from: jedi on January 20, 2017, 12:54:03 AM
I want VSIDO...   :'(

+100  8)

VSIDO as is makes for a pretty good rescue/recovery/live session.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Have you ever tried to make a live session that boots inot RAM?

That's a handy feature sometimes.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I am slightly confused by this take on what I am doing

I am only strengthening what is already there..

As far as I know VSIDO is not changing at all

There may be some different build for specific reasons/users but I plan on going on with what is there for as long as it is supported

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I thought you were making a mini iso with minimal X. The  the user can build from there.

QuoteAs far as I know VSIDO is not changing at all

One change I think you should consider is replacing mirage with geeqie. Is mirage even developed anymore? Geeqie was the image viewer that supported raw photo format wasn't it?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ that is certainly one release I could put out..

Another is centered on your need for a specific recovery tool.. VSIDO now minus multimedia

This is also an exercise for me to have a better repeatable process and refine it .. at the same time I am building images with debian's live-build thanks to this epic DYI Distro How To from Ozitraveller

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 20, 2017, 01:57:32 AM
^ that is certainly one release I could put out..

That's what I [overly/] inferred. You were thinking of releasing the mini iso - like Siduction and Salix do; minimal X then users build what they need.

A network forensics and penetration testing install entry in the menu would be interesting. Although a unstable distro based forensics build seems to be a bit too bleeding edge.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

riV

hello VastOne
Fond of the word bare.  Bare strenghth is not mini,minimal, basic, or minus anything.

I also find it odd to find "ESR" on experimental[SID] builds. not consistent, except your mention of stability as the sole browser- removing one risk variable, but not cutting edge testing.  we are the risk takers and testers.