bash-me-up (Bash Startup Files Setup Made Easy)

hakerdefo

Quote from: PackRat on January 11, 2017, 07:59:07 PM
So then you also have 4 (?) / partitions?

So when you successfully log in via lightdm, you are reading the original Debian /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile files?
That is my guess too PackRat. The not working /etc/profile would contain the line 28,
export -f pathremove pathprepend pathappend
While the working partition /etc/profile won't have that line. It is most likely dash vs bash thingy to my tired mind.
Tired Cheers ;)
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Of those / partitions yes

And obviously anything on /home/vastone is run from there

Partition ABCDE are identical and VSIDO installs of this build machine and all of them are VastOne only login

Each of these have Partition F in fstab linked to /home

Partition F is /home/vastone ...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

The ONLY thing I am saying is.. we keep looking at /home/vastone files as the issue

But on another login of /home/vastone there are not any issues (Only difference is /root which did NOT have these files installed to)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 11, 2017, 08:05:22 PM
Quote from: PackRat on January 11, 2017, 07:59:07 PM
So then you also have 4 (?) / partitions?

So when you successfully log in via lightdm, you are reading the original Debian /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile files?
That is my guess too PackRat. The not working /etc/profile would contain the line 28,
export -f pathremove pathprepend pathappend
While the working partition /etc/profile won't have that line. It is most likely dash vs bash thingy to my tired mind.
Tired Cheers ;)

How did you get around the dash issue on your system then? You running bash as shell?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I didn't get around anything.. I just rebooted to another partition and it worked

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I am going to reverse this completely and hope that there is a backout way to get back to a good login with the bup files.. If not I am going to restore a fsarchive file.. this seems to be getting everyone frustrated

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 11, 2017, 08:08:15 PM
The ONLY thing I am saying is.. we keep looking at /home/vastone files as the issue

But on another login of /home/vastone there are not any issues (Only difference is /root which did NOT have these files installed to)

You can log in, but you don't have your original bash environment - the user .bashrc has been replaced so no alaises or anything, correct?

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on January 11, 2017, 08:11:11 PM
I didn't get around anything.. I just rebooted to another partition and it worked

No you.

I want to know what hakerdefo did to get around it - if he uses bash from the get go, or changed it for his scripts to work.

Using dash is system default for Debian now isn't it? If these scripts fail because of dash, they may not be viable for your average Debian user.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

rm .bashrc
rm .bash_profile
rm .bash_logout
rm .profile
sudo rm /etc/profile
sudo rm /etc/bashrc
mv .bashrc.bup .bashrc
mv .bash_profile.bup .bash_profile
mv .bash_logout.bup .bash_logout
sudo mv /etc/profile.bup /etc/profile
sudo mv /etc/bash.bashrc.bup /etc/bash.bashrc

Any you should be back to the original. Sorry for the bash-it-up caused troubles :(

Cheers!!!

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 11, 2017, 08:18:48 PM
Quote from: VastOne on January 11, 2017, 08:08:15 PM

You can log in, but you don't have your original bash environment - the user .bashrc has been replaced so no alaises or anything, correct?

Correct.. all the changes to my /home/vastone are still there and I have to back them out to get it to work the way I had it

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Quote from: PackRat on January 11, 2017, 08:22:34 PM

No you.

I want to know what hakerdefo did to get around it - if he uses bash from the get go, or changed it for his scripts to work.

Using dash is system default for Debian now isn't it? If these scripts fail because of dash, they may not be viable for your average Debian user.
That is the funny part. I tested this on Debian wheezy with startx, Ubuntu 16.04 with LightDM, Salix with GDM, Ubuntu Precise with LXDM and never faced login problem after installing bash-it-up.
And it also worked for VastOne on this partition via startx, didn't it?
Confusing, ain't it?

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 11, 2017, 08:25:26 PM

Any you should be back to the original. Sorry for the bash-it-up caused troubles :(

Cheers!!!

No troubles.. just a roadblock. I am not having the best of days AND I have a very different setup than most people sot it is most likely my issue

Keep plugging at it hakerdefo.. please!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 11, 2017, 08:25:26 PM
rm .bashrc
rm .bash_profile
rm .bash_logout
rm .profile
sudo rm /etc/profile
sudo rm /etc/bashrc
mv .bashrc.bup .bashrc
mv .bash_profile.bup .bash_profile
mv .bash_logout.bup .bash_logout
sudo mv /etc/profile.bup /etc/profile
sudo mv /etc/bash.bashrc.bup /etc/bash.bashrc

Cheers!!!

I made these changes and now am back to normal

I will now install a brand new VSIDO and let it have it's own home directory and boot to it and install the script and test from there

Whew

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: hakerdefo on January 11, 2017, 08:32:18 PM
Quote from: PackRat on January 11, 2017, 08:22:34 PM

No you.

That is the funny part. I tested this on Debian wheezy with startx, Ubuntu 16.04 with LightDM, Salix with GDM, Ubuntu Precise with LXDM and never faced login problem after installing bash-it-up.
And it also worked for VastOne on this partition via startx, didn't it?
Confusing, ain't it?

I am sure there are files I have tweaked or have over the long history of this /home/vastone directory that caused this issue

As noted on another thread, I rebuilt the other server yesterday that had been running VSIDO 2 which is about 4 years old...

I am a creature of habit but not afraid to install anything at anytime and forget about it a month later.. this is my blessing and my curse

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

@VastOne Looking forward to your experiment on fresh install of VSIDO and your feedback :)
Cheers!!!