SSD going bad? nVidia weirdness?

VastOne

:D  :D  :D

FUCK CONKY!

I used the cdrom (yes to /dev/sr0) all day yesterday burning burning and burning and every single one completely syccessful... thought it might be the issue as well since I had not used it in forever.. it still could be a faulty wire but again very hard to trace

Been up 16 hours now on same troubled partition and not a single blemish

I suck at trying to figure out that ridiculous error file also but that sure does look like an X killing issue... could very well be a spacefm issue too..

I am seeing more failures of commands in spacefm but I think it is due more to heightened security.. backup up and restoring via fsarchive only work now from a root spacefm / xterm combination .. they used to work flawlessly with normal spacefm and terminal.. trouble with this one too is there is no error. It just does not work and comes back to spacefm.. but taking the exact same command spacefm uses and run it in a terminal works.. I also just tried changing to xterm as the terminal in settings and it failed too.. so it has something to do with the hand off of permissions between spacefm and terminal

EDIT - Moved the above to it's own thread

Thanks for digging through that file and finding this nugget
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on December 29, 2016, 05:45:01 PM

QuoteIt's a very short beep that has no pattern at all.

I thought it was a single beep that repeats (original post).

It does repeat but there is not length or sound pattern to it and it will stop completely at different times..

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Next time it happens I will video it on my phone...  :-\

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on December 29, 2016, 05:54:58 PM

Set up your webcam and video the entire room  :D

QuoteNext bit of weirdness with this machine over the last year or so is just a complete random logout..

that predates your current nVidia card doesn't it?

QuoteI have been on this partition now for over 3 hours and hammering the hell out of it by building ISO's at the same time as fsarchiver is both saving and restoring so 100% CPU and MEM and I cannot bust it

That sort of CPU and MEM usage the norm during this procedure? Maybe you have something on board that triggers a shutdown of sorts - like a critical temp. My HP laptop will do that if the CPU temp hits the critical - but I actually have to reboot and get a Thermal Shutdown message. Maybe something just pushed it over the edge yesterday, but today is All Quiet on the VSIDO Front.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on December 29, 2016, 07:09:08 PM
Quote from: VastOne on December 29, 2016, 05:54:58 PM

Set up your webcam and video the entire room  :D

QuoteNext bit of weirdness with this machine over the last year or so is just a complete random logout..

that predates your current nVidia card doesn't it?

QuoteI have been on this partition now for over 3 hours and hammering the hell out of it by building ISO's at the same time as fsarchiver is both saving and restoring so 100% CPU and MEM and I cannot bust it

That sort of CPU and MEM usage the norm during this procedure? Maybe you have something on board that triggers a shutdown of sorts - like a critical temp. My HP laptop will do that if the CPU temp hits the critical - but I actually have to reboot and get a Thermal Shutdown message. Maybe something just pushed it over the edge yesterday, but today is All Quiet on the VSIDO Front.

I am looking for some Poltergeist type cameras as we speak ...  :)

I have always had the same hardware .. it is the nVidia driver is all that is new... I am of the opinion that if I went back to the nouveau drivers I would go back to seeing the logout phenomenon and not a black out

As a matter of fact I have two identical machines and the other one never does this

Regarding 100% CPU and MEM .. I did this on purpose yesterday to point out that I do not believe that temp is the issue.. I am a type of person who sleeps with windows open when it is less than 32 degrees.. I like cold.. My room is always cold... even when building and spiking CPU and MEM to 100% the temps of everything I observe (CPU,MB, GPU and HD) all stay within norms...

So what I proved yesterday was that elevating or maxing out this machine never once caused it to barf or stop or even complain... it worked perfectly. Conversely it makes tracing this once again a near impossible task

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Circling back to this again I have not seen it happen in a week now..

It could have very well been an obscure X app or file that updated on any level

It could have been a particle of dust or even an electrical polyp...  ::)   

A mystery perhaps never solved...

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Quote from: PackRatSet up your webcam and video the entire room  :D

PLEASE DONT DO THIS!  Vastonecams.com is a terrible idea!

My first thought was a temperature as well but unless conky is giving you bad data then you are probably safe there. Have you tested the power supply?

Generally with an ssd failure there will be some freezing or boot issues right before the drive fails. There wont be a whole lot of warning. At least thats my experience. 

Don't Be A Dick!