SSD going bad? nVidia weirdness?

VastOne

On this main build machine I am starting to see something I have never seen before and I want to discuss it

The setup is it is on a SSD archive that is also the master grub partition (sda1)

/home is on the same SSD just on a separate partition (sda2)

those two partitions comprise the entire SSD

After being on for 15-20 minutes the screen will go black and there will be a single beep repetitive about every 15 seconds and the only thing I can do is fat finger 5 second restart

I have several fsarchives of this partition and loaded on this same machine and boot to them and DO NOT see this issue when I boot to a non SSD partition

The only other thing that is new is the nVidia drivers but as stated I am not seeing this on any partition that also runs nVidia

Thoughts please
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

I think it looks like an overheating issue. Most likely the graphics card is overheating. It could also be CPU fan. Open the side cover up and inspect whether the graphics card fan and CPU fan are working. If they are functioning fine then the next thing you can do is remove the graphics card and test the machine with its onboard display.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Running the exact same setup hardware and VSIDO build on different drive does not cause this to happen

Also, conky tells me that the GPU temp is stable and maintains a 44-45° temp. I also sit literally 2 feet away from this server and can instantly tell heat and power changes due to radiant heat and sounds... none of this is happening

I do not think it is a heat issue..

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I loaded some tools (smartmontools and gsmartcontrol) tools specific to drive and ssd testing..

This is the output and shows basically everything is cool with the ssd

smartctl 6.6 2016-05-31 r4324 [x86_64-linux-4.8.0-2-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     SAMSUNG MZ7TD128HAFV-000L1
Serial Number:    S14TNSAF831740
LU WWN Device Id: 5 002538 500000000
Add. Product Id:  00000000
Firmware Version: DXT05L0Q
User Capacity:    128,035,676,160 bytes [128 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4c
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Dec 28 14:18:46 2016 CST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity
was never started.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
without error or no self-test has ever
been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: (65476) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
Suspend Offline collection upon new
command.
Offline surface scan supported.
Self-test supported.
No Conveyance Self-test supported.
Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
power-saving mode.
Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: (  30) minutes.
SCT capabilities:        (0x003d) SCT Status supported.
SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
SCT Feature Control supported.
SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 1
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   097   097   000    Old_age   Always       -       15028
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       235
175 Program_Fail_Count_Chip 0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
176 Erase_Fail_Count_Chip   0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
177 Wear_Leveling_Count     0x0013   091   091   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       105
178 Used_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Chip  0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
179 Used_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot   0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
180 Unused_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot 0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       3120
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
182 Erase_Fail_Count_Total  0x0032   100   100   010    Old_age   Always       -       0
183 Runtime_Bad_Block       0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0033   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0032   071   060   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   253   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x003a   199   199   000    Old_age   Always       -       859634
234 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
235 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
236 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       64
237 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       105
238 Unknown_Attribute       0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     15028         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
  255        0    65535  Read_scanning was never started
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

So I am still at a loss

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

So far over the last hour on the actual problem partition I have not seen the issue at all... Yesterday it was happening on every boot to it, today it has yet to happen

Will keep y'all updated

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteAfter a long power outage I am back online  .. nasty storms still all around in the Midwest

You happen to be logged into the SSD partition in question when your power went out? How's your power grid been since you got your power back; any random blackouts around town, or your lights flickering a bit?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Good thoughts there Ratman but no that does not seem to be the cause.. Of course I cannot gauge the grid completely but the power does seem to be up to 100%

I have been on this partition now for over 3 hours and hammering the hell out of it by building ISO's at the same time as fsarchiver is both saving and restoring so 100% CPU and MEM and I cannot bust it

I am beginning to think it just might be something with a timeout setting on sleep mode for either the system or monitor... It is most likely associated with nVidia but I cannot trace it

It does seem though like the system is trying to sleep when this happens and gets stuck ... the trouble though is I do not have anything at all like that setup to engage

Next bit of weirdness with this machine over the last year or so is just a complete random logout.. Out of the blue and never when I am active on the machine.. It is like that is what is trying to happen again but instead of logging out it gets stuck and cannot move.. In my mind this is absolutely related to what is going on right now.. but since it was never really anything but a nuisance when it logged out before I never followed through on it

Thanks for assisting.. I appreciate it

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

just a complete random logout.

That sounds like Xorg or fluxbox (I'm assuming that is what you're using during this procedure) barfed.

Have you looked at your .xsession-errors file lately? Also, if you (or anyone incase you know about this) take a look at the ~/fluxbox/startup file there is a way to start fluxbox so that it creates it's own log file in ~/.fluxbox. That file is actually handy; I recommend everyone use it.

Edit - actually I think the line may be:

# or if you want to keep a log:
exec fluxbox -log

just put the absolute path and file name to the logfile in there -

# or if you want to keep a log:
exec fluxbox -log "$HOME/.fluxbox/log"
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Just did a reboot and have a shorter xsessions-errors that I posted on hastebin

This is the one before, much larger and  with more detail and also on hastebin

I will also start the logging process.. Hard to reproduce it as busy as I am today on the computer but I will let it sit idle for an hour to see if it will in fact do the same thing again

Thanks for the heads up on all of the RatMan...

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Got the log file setup.. you know something I can do to create an error that would show up to verify it is functional?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Not really. I haven't had fluxbox crash in several years. Last time I had errors in that log, tint2 was not working with the latest git version of fluxbox compiled on Debian Sid.

About all you can do is keep on working away without making any changes to your system files and see if the computer acts up again.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Appears so.. I stayed off for exactly one hour and it did not happen.. but the logout stuff has always been completely random .. I would see it 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks and then never see it again for a month...

Kind of hard to trace...  :'(

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

A long beep of about 15 seconds after 15 odd minutes is most likely a cause of overheated CPU/GPU. Software or driver problems don't/can't trigger beeps so logs won't help you here. And it neither is a bad SSD. Going faulty drive also don't/can't trigger beeps.
Try looking into your MOBO's BIOS beep codes to pin-point the issue. You can easily search for beep codes and their meanings on Google/DuckDuckGo.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

It's not a long beep. It's a very short beep that has no pattern at all. There is no time pattern with it either

I have already Google enough to know this is one unique issue

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

@vastone - from your long .xsession-error file:

SPAWN=/bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-vastone-63301765.tmp/5361c8e5-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 2762
mount changed: /dev/sr0
async child finished  pid=2762
udev changed: /dev/sr0

Automount: /usr/bin/udevil mount /dev/sr0 -o 'noexec,nosuid,noatime'

TASK_COMMAND(0x555f2176a150)=/usr/bin/udevil mount /dev/sr0 -o 'noexec,nosuid,noatime'
SPAWN=/bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-vastone-63301765.tmp/42e1be5c-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 2847
mount changed: /dev/sr0

Auto Open Tab for /dev/sr0 in /media/snapshot-live-cd
async child finished  pid=2847
method return time=1482975925.849519 sender=:1.26 -> destination=:1.25 serial=7 reply_serial=2
conky: conky: received SIGINT or SIGTERM to terminate. bye!
received SIGINT or SIGTERM to terminate. bye!
XIO:  fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server ":0"
      after 372157 requests (372157 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server ":0"
      after 26881 requests (26881 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Error: Couldn't connect to XServer:0

Is that your error at the end when the screen goes blank? (I pretty much suck at interpreting this particular file)

What is your /dev/sr0? On any of my systems that is always the cdrom/dvdrom drive. You using that during this particular procedure? Maybe you have a cdrom going bad or loose cable.

QuoteIt's a very short beep that has no pattern at all.

I thought it was a single beep that repeats (original post).
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo