uefi Test ISO

VastOne

I have uploaded a test ISO that has the ability to install via uefi if everything is setup correctly

It is part of the Alternative Installer which is the refracta installer. Simply run it and follow the directions

I do not have anything uefi so I am at an extreme disadvantage in trying to test this. According to this uefi topic on the Gentoo forum you must have a couple of things setup via the bios or the uefi grub will not install correctly. I am seeing that message

grub2-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory

because I do not have the correct uefi setup

So what I need is anyone with uefi to test and let me know if this works

You can get the ISO from the VSIDO Download Page Test area
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

One note on this ISO during the grub install

If the uefi grub installation fails you will get this message

By clicking Continue a normal version of grub2 is installed and the installation completes successfully

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Let you know as soon as the download is complete!  Haven't been paying attention as well as I should be obviously...  ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

VastOne

Sounds good.. I do have efi capabilities in VirtualBox that I have never enabled before now and I am testing it as well that way

Not the same but at least I can see some of the things you will

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Downloading and will install in the morning
Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

Excellent... Thanks Luke

I dev VSIDO

lwfitz

Ive downloaded twice and am unable to boot. I boot to my usb and everything looks fine, then the screen goes black and never comes back up. Any ideas?
Don't Be A Dick!

PackRat

@lwfitz -

Does your UEFI computer recognize the USB as a UEFI boot device? Our Toshiba does not, I believe, so booting from USB is whacked if it happens at all. Try burning a CD/DVD if you have one.

Also, is Windows installed on that computer? for some reason, I have to boot Windows, then reboot to get a CD to boot. That's something internal to Windows - in addition to the speed boot which needs to be disabled.

Verify your BIOS is set up correctly.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

Hey lwfitz, sounds suspiciously like a video thing.  If you go to the advanced options in the grub boot menu on the live cd, VastOne has conveniently added a menu entry for automatically using the 'nomodeset' option.  Conversely, you can hit the 'e' at the initial grub selection on boot and type in 'nomodeset' at the end of the 'Linux' line in grub.  Try this and see if it works.  Even with my new lappy, it all worked for me no problem...   ???

Good luck and nice to see you in here!!!   :P
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

lwfitz

Ive got his board

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/

and it doesnt give much as far as bios settings/uefi. Basically just force bios or keep current.

If it wasnt seeing as an efi device im assuming it wouldnt boot at all because it wouldnt know what to do.

I think Jedi is on the right track with it being a graphics issue.

This is my card

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1060-6G/

BTW no luck with what you said either Jedi.

Thanks guys Ill keep on it and see if I can get booted
Don't Be A Dick!

hakerdefo

Quote from: lwfitz on October 15, 2016, 08:48:37 PM
Ive downloaded twice and am unable to boot. I boot to my usb and everything looks fine, then the screen goes black and never comes back up. Any ideas?
Hi there,
BIOS > Advanced menu > Video Settings > Internal Graphics > IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI
Above is approximated BIOS menu workflow but it should be close enough for your board. Important bit is to select "IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI" as your primary display adapter. Save the settings. Next move HDMI cable from graphics card port to the onboard HDMI port. Reboot using the VSIDO USB and complete the install. Reboot into the installed VSIDO and download NVIDIA driver installer. After the download completes, move to a tty and stop the display manager. Install the NVIDIA driver. Reboot into BIOS once the driver installation is complete and  select "GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI" as your primary display adapter. Save the settings. move HDMI cable from onboard HDMI port to the graphics card port. Reboot with your fingers crossed ;)

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

lwfitz

^ Genius! Ill try that shortly. The animals need to get fed :-D

It is interesting though that I didnt have this issue with any other version.

Edit:

I forgot I didnt have this video card when I installed last time. I had an ATI card and that one had its own issues.
Don't Be A Dick!

lwfitz

OK that worked great and got me booted up.

I've never setup uefi before, do I need to designate a fat partition for the bootloader or does the installer do this?
Has anyone got this to work? I keep getting a grub install error.

Don't Be A Dick!

VastOne

You have linux on this computer already lwfitz?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

lwfitz Check out this page for an EFI explanation with this installer

Also, Jedi has successfully installed it and knows a ton more than I do about EFI

I dev VSIDO