GTK killed ROXTerm

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want

PackRat

That's unfortunate; a lot of users preferred roxterm.

The same bug #125 affects gnome-terminal as well.

So far, the current version of gtk3 has only messed up the pull down and context menus of sakura.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

So two of the Vsido terminals F***ed up. Thankfully xfce remains GTK2 for now thus xfce4-terminal keeps going strong.

DeepDayze

Lilyterm has promise but GTK3 and VTE 2.91 also broke that one as well. Why aare the GTK3 devs breaking things that have worked well!!!!???!!!

DeepDayze

I saw that roxterm has been removed from Debian...sad to see it go. Haven't seen a decent terminal like roxterm, and the tabs are great.

Snap

QuoteWhy aare the GTK3 devs breaking things that have worked well!!!!???!!!

Because their "we only care about Gnome, f*** the rest" attitude.

DeepDayze

Quote from: Snap on July 05, 2016, 05:33:32 AM
QuoteWhy aare the GTK3 devs breaking things that have worked well!!!!???!!!

Because their "we only care about Gnome, f*** the rest" attitude.

That sure is the wrong attitude for the GNOME devs to have, which sounds much like Microsoft  :o

emninger

It's all about this. All this systemd & related hassle has only one goal, create some kind of (RH) monpoly starting from the linux world - and make the foss developers work, in the end, for free for the profits of RH (very similar to how Mac OS started from BSD).

So, i wouldn't say, it's a *WRON* attitude. Rather, it is a *LOGICAL* attitude of a profit oriented company trying to transform as much as possible of the foss efforts to their private profits.  All FOSS oriented linux distros should have abbandoned gnome since a long time (like slackware e.g. did). In the end, the RH bullies probably will be successful, it's sad but it's working that way. The confort is: When it comes to compare closed systems, windows or macos are far superior to gnome. In the linux world the desktop environment probably is the minor important part, compared to server installations and i doubt that systemd is an improvement for server setups. Ok, i finish here ... Sorry.

DeepDayze

A good opportunity to see the lightweight WM's such as fluxbox, openbox and JWM get more traction.  These WM's are fast and light and stable without all the unnecessary frills.