(SOLVED) Dialogue box issues

VastOne

Quote from: misko_2083 on June 02, 2016, 02:24:54 AM
Looks like a gtk 3 issue.
If there was an update, Gtk 3.20 breaks many  themes.
The ones that work with 3.20:
https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes/tree/master/Zukitwo
https://github.com/andreisergiu98/arc-flatabulous-theme

The first one does not have any files to download from github

The second one requires libgtk-3-dev to install which requires 128 MiB of NEW gtk3 shit to install...

Me NO WANT TO INSTALL GTK3 shit to get a menu to fucking work

Sorry for yelling and the language...

Nothing to see here, carry on...

???
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: VastOne on June 07, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
The second one requires libgtk-3-dev to install which requires 128 MiB of NEW gtk3 shit to install...

???

I think there is a lot to see here!!  I want to rename it from GTK+ to GTK-

I just checked, and I've been using VSIDO since mid 2012 sometime.  No problems at all.  That the gtk+ team did this with no thought in mind for the end user goes beyond the pale.  When they made the decision to move to CSS, they should also have made the move to provide theme developers at a minimum, some way to "rescue" their current themes rather than just abandoning ALL of them to the dust-bin of history.  They had to know it was going to break lots of things.  If they didn't, then shame on them, and if they did, and did it anyway, then shame on us as a community.
I've looked at a lot of themes over the last few months.  As PackRat mentioned, this first popped up in Arch (which I just so happened to be running at the time, to my great chagrin, and at great cost) it also happened everywhere else.  This was not an issue of 'sometime' breakage in an unstable (re: Sid) distro.  This was breakage on a level that affected most all distro's!  That is why I was "ranting and raving" and "yelling and screaming" with my earlier post.
Hey, if I compile an RC version of the Kernel, and it breaks my OS, then it's my bad!  If I do an upgrade on my distro, and YOU (gtk+ dev's) broke my distro, then WTF?
As I type this, I'm hoping I've come up with a workable solution.  I've been pondering since I saw the 'apt-pinning' post VastOne made above. (or somewhere close by!)  It triggered a thought...  (I haven't rebooted yet, so it may have all been a huge SELF-DESTRUCT, crash and burn kind of thing!) :(
I'll post back here after a reboot and let you all know the results, and if it works, I'll tell what I did...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

misko_2083

Quote from: VastOne on June 07, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
The first one does not have any files to download from github

???
Sorry wrong link for the first theme
https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes
About the second theme:
libgtk-3-dev, pkg-config, automake and autoconf are dependancies for the build. Since the theme supports various versions of gtk, the version installed on the system needs to be detected in order to build the themes. Depending on the version of libgtk-3-dev autogen.sh script takes care of all of the preparation activities for you, dealing with dozens of configuration issues. Once you build and install, the themes are in in /usr/share/themes/ directory
You can copy those themes and use them on another computer without the libgtk-3-dev and other deps installed.
The only dependancies needed to display the themes properly are "gtk2-engines-murrine" and "gnome-themes-standard" packages.

As for Gtk 3.20, yeah, the devs are making things more complicated.
Hopefully, the Gtk 4 will bring the theme stability as the devs promised.

misko_2083

Quote from: PackRat on June 02, 2016, 02:54:04 PM
QuoteSome claim similar with firefox.

Firefox 46.x and above, yes. The 45.x.x ESR series that Debian is packaging is good (on my systems anyway).
Many themes will become deprecated because of all this changes.
Firefox is becoming heavy.
Found a lightweight open source browser.

https://minbrowser.github.io/min/

Some description here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/05/minimal-web-browser-linux

The interface is a little strange, you need some time to get use to it.
It's preety fast, especialy when playing youtube videos (but no flash).
Speaking of youtube, I've changed the script damo from BunsenLabs made so that it can do multiple downloads.
It's the yad youtube-dl wrapper that cleans up *.part files if you cancel the download.
https://github.com/Misko-2083/scripts/blob/master/youtube
lol
This is going way off the subject...  :D

hakerdefo

Quote from: misko_2083 on June 08, 2016, 12:22:56 PM
Quote from: PackRat on June 02, 2016, 02:54:04 PM
QuoteSome claim similar with firefox.

Firefox 46.x and above, yes. The 45.x.x ESR series that Debian is packaging is good (on my systems anyway).
Many themes will become deprecated because of all this changes.
Firefox is becoming heavy.
Found a lightweight open source browser.

https://minbrowser.github.io/min/

Some description here:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/05/minimal-web-browser-linux

The interface is a little strange, you need some time to get use to it.
It's preety fast, especialy when playing youtube videos (but no flash).
Speaking of youtube, I've changed the script damo from BunsenLabs made so that it can do multiple downloads.
It's the yad youtube-dl wrapper that cleans up *.part files if you cancel the download.
https://github.com/Misko-2083/scripts/blob/master/youtube
lol
This is going way off the subject...  :D
Does the deb package of Min work on Debian? And that youtube script is a nice one!
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

hakerdefo

Quote from: misko_2083 on June 08, 2016, 11:26:29 AM
...The only dependancies needed to display the themes properly are "gtk2-engines-murrine" and "gnome-themes-standard" packages.
They could be the reasons why the themes that are supposed to work with latest GTK are not working on vsido.

http://vsido.org/index.php?topic=1178.msg13292#msg13292

I tested an old ISO of vsido and these two packages were missing!
Cheers!!!

VastOne

^ I install them in the current builds and test them... same failures

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Quote from: jediI'll post back here after a reboot and let you all know the results, and if it works, I'll tell what I did...

Sorry for the delay!

What I did...

Installed a PRE Mar17_VSIDO ISO.  Allowed no updates.  It wanted to update over 700 items. (ugh...)

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: In a terminal, immediately after installing an older version of VSIDO as pointed out above, (Mar 17th or before!!!!)

sudo echo "libgtk-3-0" hold | sudo dpkg --set-selections

This puts GTK+ '3.18.9-1' on HOLD until such time as you decide you want to upgrade to GTK+ 3.20.  To determine your current version of GTK+, run the following command;

sudo dpkg-query -W libgtk-3-bin

I did not run the vsido-welcome script.  I installed manually all the things I use personally.  Everything is running perfectly with no issues at all.  To me this was an easy fix as VSIDO installs in less than 5 minutes and you can have everything back the way you like by simply backing up your data and restoring when done!

I did do an 'update' and a 'dist-upgrade' when I finished the above.  Took a long time to complete, as I have a rather slow connection, but it did complete and everything is now up-to-date with the exception of GTK+, which is of course 'holding' at 3.18.9-1   8)

When you do your 'dist-upgrades', you should now see the above in your terminal.

This is an extreme 'fix' I know, but I was not going to go another day without my VSIDO, and running my favorite themes!  As always, if you decide to go this route, MAKE SURE you have backed up your data!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

???  W H A T?   ???
How can you not have been keeping your previous ISO images as historical keep-sakes?  :D

If the above route is how you want to go, and you have no 'older' ISO to utilize, then we will certainly make one available for download at the VSIDO download page.  Just ask and it will done...

It WILL be a very long FIRST, 'dist-upgrade', so be warned!

For those wondering, I've been going for several days this way now and all is VSIDO perfection!  8)
Forum Netiquette

hakerdefo

Hey jedi,
Thanks for this workaround!
Cheers!!!

emninger

Quote from: VastOne on June 10, 2016, 02:07:43 AM
^ I install them in the current builds and test them... same failures

I don't know, if i got all right, but the starting problem for sure is a a gtk3 one (the same happens for many themes manjaro comunity driven edition used to use). Though, one the which seems to handle that problem fine seems to be vertex, which can be found here: https://github.com/horst3180/vertex-theme

Cheers.

VastOne

Hello emninger and welcome to VSIDO and our community, we are glad to have you

I have switched VSIDO to Vertex-Dark, it is a very nice theme and solves the basic gtk3 things that were missing (specifically password dialogue box and spacefm views)

It does not however correct any bash / yad / glade scripts... these are all still not showing as their dialogue boxes as they should

I am going to finally release new ISO's with these themes and instructions on how to install VSIDO with these issues, including images

Thanks for pointing out Vertex, it is nice... (If someone else had already suggested it, I apologize for the slight)

;D

I dev VSIDO

emninger

Glad once out of hundred, i could be a bit useful.  ;) In any case, gtk3 is a mess ... :-( :-(

Personally, i try to stay as close as possible with gtk2 ;) (OTOH, i really do not have any experience with qt4 or 5; once, when i played a bit around with lxqt i was not so affascinated, but ... )

Snap

Qt is currently a bit of a mess too. The transition to Qt5 is still going and far from complete. The mix of Qt4 and Qt5 is not as crazy as the GTKs blend and in most cases it's really hard to avoid mixing them both with GTK too. I like Qt and I often do "experiments" to build systems mostly Qt, but IMO trying to stay as much GTK2 as possible is the best toolkit option these days.

VastOne

Can finally mark this damn thing solved... and I am mad as hell about it

The installers use sudo...

When I was testing themes I was changing the normal user themes expecting the menus to work

See my mistake?

sudo lxappearance and now all menus on installation ISO's look normal again (as soon as I build the next ones)

This has been a major mind fuck for me for 6 months... and a damned garage trip solved it by I will not say (Jedi) who

Mad as hell...  :'(

I dev VSIDO