(SOLVED) Dialogue box issues

VastOne

I am seeing issues with dialogue boxes not showing lines around boxes as they should and even complete boxes appearing to disappear because of this...

It seems like an icon issue but I cannot decipher what is missing or has been removed

Could use an assist on this one...

I will get an image in a minute to show what I mean
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This is what it is supposed to look like

This is now what it looks like

Unacceptable....

I dev VSIDO

Snap

I don't know what the installer uses for the dialogs. Obviously it's not dialog. Is it zenity (or anything else GTK3)? If it is the case, the issues might be coming from that side. GTK3 is giving problems once again.

VastOne

The installer uses Glade... this is just one example though. When any password dialog box comes up for anything (spacefm, synaptic, etc) you see the same thing

Funny though, the vsido-exit dialog box is fine

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I also tried the Semplice Zuki themes and found nothing worked

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Give the following a go. Rumoured to be working with latest gtk versions. And yes, it is a gtk issue. Theme maintainers need to update their themes big time.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Horst3180/Debian_8.0/all/arc-theme_1464640864.d9d1772_all.deb

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Thanks for the file and info hakerdefo but it still does not solve the issue...

It affects both the glade and yad installer scripts making installation if VSIDO all but impossible

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

What does the vsido-exit script use? I see in the script that it imports pygtk and gtk. Is this a python vs. glade/yad difference, or can your installer scripts be changed so that they function the same way?

Change the installer to gtk2 is what I'm thinking here, maybe.

times like this make me wish I could actually code.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

vsido-exit is a bash script that works on the same principals that keeps fluxbox themes working through this... if you change the fluxbox theme, that then changes the vsido-exit. I raise this point just to say that both the exit script and fluxbox themes seem to be hardened against this kind of change and maybe better coded

I know nothing of this type of coding either... and that is the frustration. I can see it, I can identify it but I cannot fix it

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

Looks like a gtk 3 issue.
If there was an update, Gtk 3.20 breaks many  themes.
The ones that work with 3.20:
https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes/tree/master/Zukitwo
https://github.com/andreisergiu98/arc-flatabulous-theme

Snap

Quotevsido-exit is a bash script

Have you changed it, boss? It used to be a python script. And if I'm not wrong it loads (asks for?) GTK2.

QuoteI raise this point just to say that both the exit script and fluxbox themes seem to be hardened against this kind of change and maybe better coded

That's one of the great things about fluxbox. The styles themselves are toolkit agnostic, pretty simple and coded in a small bunch of plain text. That's just great features, IMO.

QuoteI know nothing of this type of coding either... and that is the frustration. I can see it, I can identify it but I cannot fix it

Me neither...  ::)
Hope GTK3 settles down a bit soon. Personally I try to avoid GTK3 like the pest in all my systems due to the constant breakages and funny behaviors. Way before this nasty last update.

misko_2083

QuoteI know nothing of this type of coding either... and that is the frustration. I can see it, I can identify it but I cannot fix it

Me neither...  ::)
Hope GTK3 settles down a bit soon. Personally I try to avoid GTK3 like the pest in all my systems due to the constant breakages and funny behaviors. Way before this nasty last update.
Downloaded the test iso and tested the installer. It's definitely the theme. Buttons and dialogs are there and can be used/clicked.
The same thing with yad since it uses Gtk 3. Some claim similar with firefox.
The Gtk had a major update with 3.20. Everything went to CSS. All the themes need to get ported.

PackRat

QuoteSome claim similar with firefox.

Firefox 46.x and above, yes. The 45.x.x ESR series that Debian is packaging is good (on my systems anyway).
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Yes, the switch to GTK3 happened with the Firefox 46. Any older versions are GTK2. (The reason why I switched to Palemoon).

PackRat

From this epic rant -

Quote....they've broken everything prior to gtk3 3.20...

begs the question, can you use apt-pinning or something to keep Vsido downgraded/frozen to gtk 3.1x so that the themes and your dialogue boxes work as intended and get your iso's released until the gtk3 issue is resolved?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo