Synaptic disapears

Lex-Linux

So, When I do settings > synaptic package manger, the password dialog opens, I enter my passwd, click the ok button then poof! nada!!
                                                                             ???

VastOne

In terminal run this

su-to-root -X -c synaptic

then post the output please
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

On a new install, I cannot reproduce the problem

Is it possible you might have caps locks on?

I dev VSIDO

Lex-Linux

caps lock is not on.

dan@sidbox:~$ su-to-root -X -c synaptic

(gksu:24794): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "equinox",

(gksu:24794): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "equinox",

(gksu:24794): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(gksu:24794): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

VastOne

Did it ask for and you did put in your password?

Edit - those errors are normal errors

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Do you use a mouse wheel?  A turn of a mouse wheel can switch you to the next desktop... Is it possible that synaptic is open on another desktop?

I dev VSIDO

Lex-Linux

Only have one workspace. HP Laptop i386, so no mouse wheel.

Lex-Linux

OOOPS! think I broke something
:-[

Lex-Linux

Quote from: VastOne on May 30, 2016, 03:16:50 AM
Did it ask for and you did put in your password?

Edit - those errors are normal errors

Yes it did. I provided the passwd then the errors happened.

Snap

Quotethe password dialog opens, I enter my passwd, click the ok button then poof! nada!!

Just to discard it. When you say my password you mean your user password? su-to-root is typically set for  the root's password.

Lex-Linux

Quote from: Snap on May 30, 2016, 06:54:48 AM
Quotethe password dialog opens, I enter my passwd, click the ok button then poof! nada!!

Just to discard it. When you say my password you mean your user password? su-to-root is typically set for  the root's password.

I did not change the default, for the root password during installation. The su-to-root command, root's password doesn't change anything.

I can start synaptic from the cli so it really is not a huge issue. Trying to open synaptic from the menu is still a no go.

VastOne

Has this happened before or after your initial dist-upgrade?

I dev VSIDO

Lex-Linux

To the best of my knowledge, it has been like this since after the initial install. I've been using the command line to install, then thought I would use synaptic, to look up a package or two, and that is when I noticed.

VastOne

I have installed the same ISO on several machines including on an hp laptop and I cannot reproduce the error. I am hoping to hear from PackRat soon to get some input from him from a FluxBox perspective...

The right click menu has a  FluxBox submenu and within there is a FluxBox Menu Editor. Open that and find Synaptic and verify the command is in fact

I dev VSIDO

Lex-Linux

verified.