Window Decorations?

jedi

Hi all, just wondering what, if anything, I can do to get my themes working on Spacefm?  If I switch to Adwaita, all is good.  Adwaita sucks!  Too bright for my tender eyes.  I like the dark themes as they don't cause me to have migraines...

Check this out, and any advice appreciated!   :'(

???

The menubar (File, Edit, View, etc) is all smashed together.  No sliders to scroll with, don't recognize the icons on the tabs, but pretty sure they aren't LinuxLex-8 which is my default icons.  Theme is Dorian-theme-slate-3.14.

8)

Menubar in Medit looking normal...

???

Transmission looking bad as well.  I have added the line to Trolltech.conf

[Qt]
style=GTK+

to no avail.

(p.s. uhmmmm, this is on an Arch Linux build.  Long story.  Sad ending.  Much mental anguish involved, as well as a large sum of non-returnable funds...)   :'(
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Is that spacefm or spacefm-gtk3?

Looks like your having issues with gtk3 - I can't duplicate your error - but I have this issue every now and then where some apps do not use the gtk theme properly.

Have you tried selecting a different font?

Did this issue start after an upgrade?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

SpaceFM 1.0.5.  Not sure about the upgrade part...  :o
Pretty sure it is the gtk3 version of SpaceFM...
I know for sure that it is Transmission-gtk...
I thought Medit was a gtk app as well?  Other odd things occur, like check boxes that are blank, you can read the text next to it, however, when you put a check mark in the box, the text next to it turns invisible!  The right-click menus, and the menus in the menubar have no borders and are quite small.  Not in Medit though.  The same behavior happens in both Transmission and SpaceFM.

I totally blanked the drive, (gdisk /dev/*** x z y y) which totally zapps it of all data.  Then did a fresh install of Arch.  Same results.  Only Fluxbox, Lightdm, and compton for compositing.  Using lxappearance to set the themes and the fonts and icons.  Happens no matter what theme or icon set.  Fonts make no difference.  The weird part that screams out GTK+ issue is that the Adwaita theme (default theme for gtk3) turns it all back to normal.  It is just to bright of a theme for me.

I went as far as to install the 'Xfce4-appearance-setting' app with the same results.  Also tried the Xfce4-settings-manager to no avail.  Totally lost and puzzled...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

jedi

Oh yeah, the volume icon in my tint2 bar only allows me to utilize the right-click button to see the preferences.  I can not adjust the volume with it anymore.  This all started at the same time.  On the previous install of Arch I had Gnome 3 installed.  Once I got Fluxbox to my satisfaction, I uninstalled Gnome.  That was when I first noticed it I suppose.

However, on this install, I did not install Gnome at all.  It is a horrendous WM.  Probably more bloat than KDE now.  I'm not going to install KDE just to find out though!  :D  This install I did only as I said above, Fluxbox, Lightdm, and compton...
Forum Netiquette

jedi

Here is a shot of SpaceFM with the Adwaita theme.  After a reboot using the Adwaita theme, the volume icon in tint2 works as well again.  Weird...

Forum Netiquette

PackRat

QuoteOnce I got Fluxbox to my satisfaction, I uninstalled Gnome

That may have taken the gtk3 engine with it.

So this is all on Arch (Strike #1 if that's the case  :D)?

You may be missing gtk3 altogether then - minimal distros do this sort of thing (Arch, Slackware and Void anyway) it installs the app but the gtk engine isn't a dependency. Make sure you have the gtk-murrine-engine and gtk3 installed. You may also need to get the gtk3-unico engine from the AUR - gtk3 and gnome-common are dependencies you can install with pacman.

Some older apps that are not integrated into Gnome - like medit - are fine with gtk2. Happens to me all the time, medit will be fine (as long as the murrine engine is installed) but the the Gnome apps like transmission and evince look horrible (I actually use atril from the mate desktop for pdf just for the aesthetics). GTK3 is a bit of a bomb IMO.

Also if you're using Arch, something may have just borked during an upgrade. Try the system upgrade again to see if a fix came through.

If you change to the Raleigh theme, do you get a nice unified Win 2000 retro look?
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Yes, GTK + GTK3 GTK2 are installed.  This is a fresh new install that never had Gnome in the first place.  However, I do see that when I installed gtk3 it did not install the gtk-engine-murrine.  Just installed it and will let you know momentarily...
Forum Netiquette

jedi

No difference what-so-ever...    :'(
Forum Netiquette

PackRat

From the Arch Forum; posted yesterday -

The problem really starts to manifest with dark themes. I have tried so many over the last couple of days, and since the gtk3 update, they all have problems.

Looks like some gtk3 upgrades are coming through and several themes are borked

Sidebar Comment - Am I the only one that finds it humorous that Arch users will downgrade the kernel to get a gtk theme working? Some classic work arounds in their forum.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Wow, thanks for that PackRat!  Out of all my searching, I had not run across that thread.  I was to busy thinking I had broken something rather than an upgrade had caused it...

Thanks again.  Out of the dozens and dozens of themes I have that are dark themes, only the "Black-n-Blue-GTK" theme works.  I can live with it until this gets fixed.  Someone added some 'fixed' themes to the wiki over there, so I'll give a couple a try.

Yep, the new ones posted on their wiki are working for me.  Sure hope they get this cleared up.  I've spent years collecting the themes I have and would shudder to think they're useless now!!!  :D
Forum Netiquette

Snap

QuoteLooks like some gtk3 upgrades are coming through and several themes are borked

Nothing new under the sun.  ::)

I don't understand why more and more stuff keeps migrating to GTK3 knowing the constant problems and breakages coming update after update over the years. Even former icons of the GTK2 stability like Mate are now GTK3...