Wayland and Weston

PackRat

Anyone been tinkering with wayland?

been messing around with it a bit just to have a look; tried the maui project live cd as well.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

A bit a while ago on a Debian netintall and tried Maui too. But those attempts where only in Virtualbox and it didn't felt very smooth that way, Is that on baremetal?

PackRat

Yes. You can install weston (the compositor) and xwayland (compatibility layer) from the repos then start weston from the command line instead of startx. If you're using gtk-3 apps/themes the libwayland files should already be installed. X-apps work, but re-sizing windows was a pain. I did manage to lock up the system a couple of times; but it all may have been user error. Weston has some internal keybindings so I may have done something inadvertantly.

Wayland doesn't run well in VM - from what little I have read, it has to do with the video drivers.

That screen shot is actually weston running in an x-session; I don't have an app to take a screenshot in a native wayland session; gnome-screenshooter may work.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

E20 + VSIDO + Wayland:

too unstable so couldn't give it a long look.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Quote from: PackRat on March 11, 2016, 10:48:26 PM
E20 + VSIDO + Wayland:
too unstable so couldn't give it a long look.

That's too bad.  Looks pretty nice, and sleek!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

It should be good once it's finished. Maybe I should say "If it's finished" - I remember when Xvesa was going to replace Xorg  :D

The weston window manager was actually pretty nice. Plain text configuration file, looks to have some decent features built in.

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

I've been hearing that wayland is about to replace the Xserver since I switched to Linux three years ago and it doesn't seem to be happening soon as of today.