VSIDO new linstaller Discussion

VastOne

Adding smtube adds 56 MiB of space to the disk translating into another 20 MiB growth on the ISO's

It was removed because of this and will not be going back on...

After all the testing and adoption of the new installer is complete, I am going to open a discussion on what should be a part of the after install vsido-welcome script... that is dated and this would be a perfect choice to add to it

Anyone who wants to champion that effort, you have my one hundred percent support and following.. 

In other words, I could really use the help...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

@PackRat: You are right. I'm too used to su-to-root, so I hardly ever use sudo for anything.

QuoteAfter all the testing and adoption of the new installer is complete, I am going to open a discussion on what should be a part of the after install vsido-welcome script... that is dated and this would be a perfect choice to add to it

About the welcome script, I think the it didn't popped up after these two last installs. I might be wrong. I have a pretty crap memory.

filip

Quote from: VastOne on January 31, 2016, 12:30:26 AM
@Filip

Thank you for the feedback.  Regarding VBox Guest Additions, they fall just outside of the 'need vs want' space saving situation... They take up a huge space on an ISO for a small amount of people to benefit from.. I like them too and set them up if I need them... it is that easy, but it is not feasible to have them on the ISO

Interesting that a logout did not resolve the tint2/X issue.. on every test I ran with it that worked.  The install worked and that is what matters.. By restarting FluxBox from the right click menu options you can reset tint2 as well

I am a huge fan of IgnorantGuru, the dev of SpaceFM and several other incredible viable tools.. We have used SpaceFM from day one here and really I could not see ever using any other file manager

We already use SMTube as part of SMPlayer ...

Apt is that way by design knocking off 40 MiB of space on the ISO using bleachbit before building does this... Sorry!

Great feedback!

@vbox:

Yeah, I tought it's probably a space issue.

@IG:
Indeed. Guy has really awesome ideas, and even more awesome way of implementing them in practice ( I'm talking about spacefm primarily ).
Making the thing lightweight, fast and simple like it is, and at the same time having the level of customization and advanced features it has, is beyond words really.

I, for example, do most of the dev work inside it. Since using plugins I can do a lot of stuff, ranging from building packages, interacting with git, having an app menu, comparing files etc, all without the need to frequently switch to other applications or terminal(s).

@apt:

I tought it perhaps got left out unintentionally.
Certanly not a problem, and there's certanly no need to be sorry! :)

Quote from: PackRat on February 01, 2016, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: VastOne on February 01, 2016, 04:00:13 AM
^ That is new... I have only seen it as of today and only in using the Automatic partitioning option.. Did you use that one or Manual partitioning?

I always use manual partitioning.

The hidden grub timeout is set for 2 seconds - which is probably enough time to use the key binding to get to the menu if you want to boot a different kernel or rescue mode - what is that key combo, ESC? However, since VSIDO is somewhat unique in installing memtest by default, you may want to go back to the usual visible grub menu option.

@Snap - yes, not having any users in the sudoers file is the norm if you enable the root password during install - the fine print after you switch the button to "on" points out that sudo for users is disabled when root password is enabled.

GRUB is hidden by default, if there are no other OS's found.
However, this behaviour can be disabled with a seed.
[module:bootloader]
should_hide_menu = False

:)

Btw, (holding) "Shift" is the key to display GRUB.

@root pass:

I'm looking into what can be done about it, but it seems that both Debconf and user-setup were designed around Debian default of not having a root pass at all ( empty one ), or there is a bug in either one.
I might be wrong though, so when I have a more definitive answer, I'll let you know. :)

VastOne

Quote from: Snap on February 02, 2016, 07:02:36 AM

@PackRat: You are right. I'm too used to su-to-root, so I hardly ever use sudo for anything.

About the welcome script, I think the it didn't popped up after these two last installs. I might be wrong. I have a pretty crap memory.

@snap

If you elect to change the root pw from the installer, it will fail as it is designed to work with sudo enabled.  I would hear more about su-to-root as a possible replacement specific to vsido-welcome needs (and anything/everything else related to sudo)

Quote from: filip on February 02, 2016, 02:43:51 PM

should_hide_menu = False

@root pass:

I'm looking into what can be done about it, but it seems that both Debconf and user-setup were designed around Debian default of not having a root pass at all ( empty one ), or there is a bug in either one.
I might be wrong though, so when I have a more definitive answer, I'll let you know. :)

I will add the seed for grub to show up, that is the expected or 'normal' behaviour we here have been used to

On the root pw issue, is it a problem enough to change it?  The message during install is clear enough in stating the sudo functions will be removed and it is recommended NOT doing that.  IMO, anyone with knowledge enough to make this choice 'should' know the consequences behind this choice.  It is especially important to make the decision to enable root on a 'when needed' moment IMO.

Perhaps adding a more information on how easy it is to enable root password after install (ie sudo passwd root)

I am not sure what the solution is but like the discussion about it and encourage more

@filip, I did find a slick fix for fluxbox on the tint2 issue on the live-cd.  I hope you got to see this as well

I dev VSIDO

filip

Quote from: VastOne on February 02, 2016, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Snap on February 02, 2016, 07:02:36 AM

@snap

If you elect to change the root pw from the installer, it will fail as it is designed to work with sudo enabled.  I would hear more about su-to-root as a possible replacement specific to vsido-welcome needs (and anything/everything else related to sudo)

Quote from: filip on February 02, 2016, 02:43:51 PM

should_hide_menu = False

@root pass:

I will add the seed for grub to show up, that is the expected or 'normal' behaviour we here have been used to

On the root pw issue, is it a problem enough to change it?  The message during install is clear enough in stating the sudo functions will be removed and it is recommended NOT doing that.  IMO, anyone with knowledge enough to make this choice 'should' know the consequences behind this choice.  It is especially important to make the decision to enable root on a 'when needed' moment IMO.

Perhaps adding a more information on how easy it is to enable root password after install (ie sudo passwd root)

I am not sure what the solution is but like the discussion about it and encourage more

@filip, I did find a slick fix for fluxbox on the tint2 issue on the live-cd.  I hope you got to see this as well

Good idea on adding info about enabling root after install. I'll add to the installer as well. :)

@su-to-root:

I guess you guys probably know about it, but I'll mention it just in case.
sudo -i
... can be used for the same "effect". Meaning that you get a root (login)/prompt, same as with "su".

@Flux:

I've seen it, but didn't have time to download.
Will do later today & report back. :)

Snap

QuoteIf you elect to change the root pw from the installer, it will fail as it is designed to work with sudo enabled.  I would hear more about su-to-root as a possible replacement specific to vsido-welcome needs (and anything/everything else related to sudo)

Yeah, my fault. Rushing and not reading everything. I always use different passwords for root and users. I asummed on the fly it was just that, setting a root pasword instead of disabling sudo.

I don't like the current (rather global) tendency of comodity at the cost of security/privacy. In the case of sudo and Linux, enabling sudo for everything even without a password. I prefer to allow sudo to just logout and shutdown passwordless. The rest is in charge of su-to-root set as su. I totally favor su-to-root into the welcome script.

PS, if the root password remains unchanged and left as live default ie; vsido. IMHO, a warning in the installer should be needed. Just in case.

Snap

BTW, new iso installed good.

VastOne

Thank you snap, that is very good information that I agree with

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

DeepDayze

Quote from: Snap on February 03, 2016, 07:59:44 AM
QuoteIf you elect to change the root pw from the installer, it will fail as it is designed to work with sudo enabled.  I would hear more about su-to-root as a possible replacement specific to vsido-welcome needs (and anything/everything else related to sudo)

Yeah, my fault. Rushing and not reading everything. I always use different passwords for root and users. I asummed on the fly it was just that, setting a root pasword instead of disabling sudo.

I don't like the current (rather global) tendency of comodity at the cost of security/privacy. In the case of sudo and Linux, enabling sudo for everything even without a password. I prefer to allow sudo to just logout and shutdown passwordless. The rest is in charge of su-to-root set as su. I totally favor su-to-root into the welcome script.

PS, if the root password remains unchanged and left as live default ie; vsido. IMHO, a warning in the installer should be needed. Just in case.

To me, I use sudo only for my main user account. Other accounts I create on my system won't necessarily be set up with sudo access. I do set sudo to prompt for password while letting shutdown/reboot be the only operations that can be done w/o any password via sudo.