TRIOS linstaller questions

VastOne

VSIDO linstaller_latest.log on hastebin

Also an image of what I am installing to via the Manual Partition Manager

I do see errors around the grub install portion in the log. This time I did not get a grub_rescue menu as I thought I might... I got the grub menu from the secondary sdb partition... I ran sudo update-grub there and it found the new install cleanly and I booted to it with no issues with eth0 and wlan0, the network was setup and functioning as it should

So obviously the installation to the mbr is failing on some installs, several in a row now for me

And with that I will get some much needed rest...
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

filip

Judging from the log, GRUB is installed to the mbr and updated. However "refind" installation failed, allthough it doesn't explain the issue, since it's the last step in the process ( install grub --> update-grub --> install refind )...

@MBR location:

Linstaller uses a "grub-mkdevicemap" to find out which drive is first, so the issue here might be that "sdX" it finds is not the primary boot drive set in BIOS.
But let's just eliminate "refind" first, see how it goes, and if needed dig further from there.  :)

VastOne

This could very well have something to do with VirtualBox... I have come to this conclusion because I have seen some very strange uuid and partition mount behavior in the past from these virtual-box build platforms I use

Like these issues I am seeing with linstaller, the uuid/mount issues have been random as well

I am going to test the install on some metal machines I have to see if I can replicate it there

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Regarding the grub issue, and after correcting an issue within VirtualBox ... I am no longer able to recreate the grub-rescue problem.

I am also not seeing issues installing to metal drives ...

I will now move onto logging what is happening when you go with default settings and the eth0/wlan0 settings are not applied correctly

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Here is the log. I am able to recreate this issue every time by choosing and excepting the 'default' partition setup

For whatever reasons, this grub install is not implementing the default setup of net.ifnames=0 that is there on the livecd session and is default within the VSIDO squashfs

I can recreate it every time.. If this issue is solved, I believe we can use this installer

Edit -

Confirmed that by manually editing and adding net.ifnames=0 to the grub boot line on startup does work as it should creating eth0/wlan0

Looking at the post installation, the correct parameters for net.ifnames=0 are setup within /boot/grub/grub.cfg file so there appears to be no logic as to why it is not applied during the setup of grub

Looking at the installation, the correct parameters for net.ifnames=0 ARE NOT setup within /boot/grub/grub.cfg for the partition that was built during the install, checking uuid's confirmed this ... so in the creation of grub.cfg, the settings of net.ifnames=0 is not applied to the install during the 'easy' option of installing to partitions

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

^ @log refind isn't a big issue here
commenting out that line containing refind, that are used to display a message update a progress bar fixes that.
I think this here might be an issue:
  /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
  WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to internal scanning.

misko_2083

Quote from: VastOne on January 29, 2016, 04:07:18 PM
Here is the log. I am able to recreate this issue every time by choosing and excepting the 'default' partition setup

For whatever reasons, this grub install is not implementing the default setup of net.ifnames=0 that is there on the livecd session and is default within the VSIDO squashfs

I can recreate it every time.. If this issue is solved, I believe we can use this installer
Found it. :)
Line 189
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-installer/blob/master/linstaller/modules/bootloader/inst/__init__.py
need to change that from
sys.stdout.write("GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"quiet resume=%s\"\n" % swap)
to
sys.stdout.write("GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=\"net.ifnames=0 quiet resume=%s\"\n" % swap)
And it should work. The function changes /etc/default/grub

Edit:
Tested and it worked here.  :D
Also here:
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-installer/blob/master/linstaller/modules/bootloader/inst/glade/__init__.py
I've commented out lines # 53, 54, and 55 and refind error isn't in the installation log after the install.

VastOne

^ These collaborations are what FOSS should be all about... I cannot tell you and Filip how damned happy it makes me to work with you.

The fact that we have an installer that is now fully functional with VSIDO is besides the point, the friendship and trust developed here is for a lifetime

Great work!

VSIDO Nation Salutes You

I dev VSIDO

filip

@Misko:

Good find & quick fix!  :)

@all:

I'll include a "custom_kernel_args" seed, that can be used to add any kind of argument(s) to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX".

So, in this case you would just add to "visudo-base":
[module:bootloader]
bootloader = grub
custom_kernel_args = net.ifnames=0

You could also add multiple, space separated args ( no quotes! ):
custom_kernel_args = net.ifnames=0 god.mode=True enable.bugs=False

...without worrying that it'll get overwriten on update. :)

I'm currently testing, although it looks good so far:
[trios-user@TRIOS][~]$ cat /linstaller/target/etc/default/grub | grep "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/sbin/openrc test=entry blah=0"
[trios-user@TRIOS][/linstaller/target/etc/default]$

( ^rebooting excluded :D )

Once I'm sure that there are no regressions, I'll push it to testing branch @git ( might take a bit of time, since a full install is needed for every test run ). :)

Quote from: VastOne on January 29, 2016, 08:37:31 PM
^ These collaborations are what FOSS should be all about... I cannot tell you and Filip how damned happy it makes me to work with you.

The fact that we have an installer that is now fully functional with VSIDO is besides the point, the friendship and trust developed here is for a lifetime

Great work!

VSIDO Nation Salutes You

In that name

VastOne

^ Fantastic... Let me know when they are there and I can begin the testing.  Also keep in mind I am available at any time for any type of testing your team may need.  I do not know code as well as you all but I can track down issues and troubleshoot as well as anyone... though Miska is incredible and tough to beat!  :)

And by the way ...

a 2:50 install of a fully functional Linux Distro is incredible IMO

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Both the x32 and x64 ISO's have been built and tested with the changes made and both function as they should with eth0 and wlan0 as the default no matter what method you choose to install

I will post these ISO's shortly for testing

and did I say 2:50?

I meant 2:36

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

To whomever resized the Spock Images saluting...

Thank you!    8)

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I have done a makeover on the Download Page that now reflects the VSIDO Test ISO Downloads

Please grab the latest version of the ISO's that is specifically for testing a new installer

If you find the tint2 all wacky when you first boot to a live-cd log out and back in using a password of live.  This brings you back in clean and tint2 is where it should be

This is due to some recent changes to X11 and should be corrected soon...

I dev VSIDO

filip

Quote from: VastOne on January 29, 2016, 09:56:05 PM
^ Fantastic... Let me know when they are there and I can begin the testing.  Also keep in mind I am available at any time for any type of testing your team may need.  I do not know code as well as you all but I can track down issues and troubleshoot as well as anyone... though Miska is incredible and tough to beat!  :)

And by the way ...

a 2:50 install of a fully functional Linux Distro is incredible IMO

Should be good to go. :)
More details in commit message:
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-installer/commit/eed7c7a9f86cf1184e25e30cf0f0736da7f57660

@testing:
Tnx! :)
I'll let you know if/when help is needed.
Although right now, "trios-info" tool could use some wider testing, and besides that, you may find it usefull.
It's a system information tool, with CLI & GTK interfaces that can also generate nifty system reports ( hardware, repo's, install log etc ) which can be saved to file and/or uploaded to pastebin.
CLI variant can also take screenshots of itself and upload them to imgr, and also works in TTY ( very usefull when someone has X or VGA issues since it provides an easy way to upload system/hw info ).
https://gitlab.com/trios-linux/trios-info

@speed:
Mostly comes from the fact that squashfs is decompressed directly onto target partition, instead of mounting it separately and copying file by file ( like LMDE installer does, for example ). :)
Though there's nothing wrong with LMDE's approach, it's just slower ( on hdd's atleast ).

Quote from: VastOne on January 30, 2016, 02:28:42 AM
I have done a makeover on the Download Page that now reflects the VSIDO Test ISO Downloads

Please grab the latest version of the ISO's that is specifically for testing a new installer

If you find the tint2 all wacky when you first boot to a live-cd log out and back in using a password of live.  This brings you back in clean and tint2 is where it should be

This is due to some recent changes to X11 and should be corrected soon...

Downloading. :)

Btw, don't tell me that X11 issue comes from the fact that it's compiled with systemd support, which landed in Sid recently ( if I'm not mistaken )?  ???

PackRat

^ triosinfo is a sweet little tool.

Are python3 and python3-gobject the only dependencies needed for full functionality?

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo