Force Pithos to use LinuxLex-8 icon theme

VastOne

Is it possible in FluxBox and/or a .gnome or .gnome2 settings file to force an app like Pithos to use a different icon theme than what the devs have forces upon us?

You now have to have the gnome-icon-theme installed for the icons to correctly show up in Pithos ... which means the need to install a mass amount of icons to use a total of 4 on the app.. I call bullshit on this and want to correct it

Thanks
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

You would have to take a look at the fluxbox-apps man page to see if an icon can be set - I don't think that can be done.

The simplest thing to do might be to find an icon you like and substitute it for the pithos icon in the default icon theme.

If pithos accepts .Xresources entries, you can set an icon there (you can set a terminal icon for xterm, urxvt, etc ... there so the blue-gray box doesn't show in tint2).
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Sorry PackRat, I am referring to the internal icons used within the app.. the pause, play, and volume buttons...

If you remove the gnome-icon set, these icons are then blank within Pithos, I want to be able to change that and it seems that you could control that with some gtk settings that I have since forgotten

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

My best guess is that the icons are missing in LinuxLex-8 icon theme.
In that case I would look at the code and find which icons are used, and find them in gnome-icon-theme directories.
Then just a simple copy -> paste icons from gnome-icon-theme to LinuxLex-8 icon set directories.

misko_2083

https://github.com/pithos/pithos/blob/master/pithos/pithos.py
pithos is using next icons:
media-playback-pause-symbolic
media-playback-start-symbolic
pithos
pithos-rate-bg
pithos-album-default
not sure about the volume buttons

VastOne

Quote from: misko_2083 on January 13, 2016, 08:03:50 PM
My best guess is that the icons are missing in LinuxLex-8 icon theme.
In that case I would look at the code and find which icons are used, and find them in gnome-icon-theme directories.
Then just a simple copy -> paste icons from gnome-icon-theme to LinuxLex-8 icon set directories.

I have come to this same conclusion...

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

Welcome  :)

About forcing the applications to use a diferent icon set.
This is possible with Gtk2 apps.
Need to create a file /home/USERNAME/.themes/medit.gtkrc
#To set the Gtk theme
include "/usr/share/themes/dorian-theme-3.12/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

#To set the icon theme
gtk-icon-theme-name = "LinuxLex-8"

Then running the gtk2 app like medit with a prefix launches app with different theme and icon set.
GTK2_RC_FILES=/home/USERNAME/.themes/medit.gtkrc medit
To launch Gtk3+ app with a different theme:
GTK_THEME="dorian-theme-3.12" iceweasel
That would probably need to be wrapped for the desktop files.
/bin/sh -c 'GTK_THEME="dorian-theme-3.12" iceweasel'
/bin/sh -c 'GTK_THEME="dorian-theme-3.12" /usr/local/bin/menu.py'
Took me while to figure it out that the only way to force icons on a certain gtk3 app is to edit the theme settings.ini file and define which icon set will that theme use.
In my case /usr/share/themes/dorian-theme-3.12/settings.ini
adding next line to the file end, changes the icons for that theme.
gtk-icon-theme-name = HumanXMint
Also the font for that theme can be changed if needed. http://fluxbox-wiki.org/category/howtos/en/Using_gtk_themes.html
Now when I run iceweasel I have a different theme icons and font size applied on the browser.
GTK_THEME="dorian-theme-3.12" launch iceweasel
The icon in tint2 is also from a custom icon set. That can be changed because open source is awesome.  :)

VastOne

^ Man that is great information... I appreciate that!

I have found all the pertinent svg files that are all of the icons, I have moved them into the LinuxLex-8 directory and all os functional... tis a bastardized way I know but it saves a mass amount of space and blocks the need of two apps that have little use... 4 freaking app icons for all of this headache

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

Quote from: VastOne on January 14, 2016, 01:47:44 AM
I have found all the pertinent svg files that are all of the icons, I have moved them into the LinuxLex-8 directory and all os functional... tis a bastardized way I know but it saves a mass amount of space and blocks the need of two apps that have little use... 4 freaking app icons for all of this headache
8)
Yep, saves a lot of space and is probably worth of all the trouble. That's 4 icons but in many sizes.
LinuxLex-8 icon set was last updated in 2011. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=134229 It's no wonder it misses a few icons. :)

VastOne

^ I should invest in some effort in finding an icon replacement...

Any recommendations?  I am open to anything... as long as they are modern and not a monstrosity in size

Thanks

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

^ Lately many themes have 256x256 icons and those take 1/2 of the size. Cleaning themes from 256 icons would make them smaller.
Also theme designers pack multiple versions of the theme with 10 different folder colors. Base theme is like 50 MB and all the folder color variations add 70 MB or more.
When you look into what's packed you see that the theme is not that big.

Of all the themes Faenza is the best looking. Many distros use that one.
Numix is preety cool too.
https://github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Uniform%2B?content=173995

PackRat

Probably violates the monstrosly large criteria, but nouveGnomeGray icon set looks good with the dark theme VSIDO uses as default (nouveGnome for light themes, same artist). Actively developed and pretty complete sets.

The uniwhite icon set is smaller and also looks good with dark themes; seems to be pretty complete.

uniwhite icon theme -

The other question would be - do you want to use a set that is in the debian repos?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on January 14, 2016, 04:21:09 PM
Probably violates the monstrosly large criteria

Snip

The other question would be - do you want to use a set that is in the debian repos?

:D Big standards, no?

I worked a ton of hours to tweak LinuxLex to where we have it... and my criteria is simple, we have an intro level of icons that fit just what I (sucks I know, not we, but I am getting there and actually asking for help) need in an icon set... small (30 MiB) looks good (at least to me) and when a user is all installed, they can then go and get everything they want or need in any icon set of their choice

Having said all that, I am open to change... but it is a Yuge change to take on

My opinion, slap the hell out of me if you do not like it ....  :-*

As to whether or not they should be in the debian repos, it matters little to me... if they are it is a bonus, but any icon set will not be disqualified if they are not

I dev VSIDO

misko_2083

So hard to find a good looking theme under 30 megs :)
Oh wait, this one is small http://ubuntualive.blogspot.rs/2015/02/ultra-flat-icons-version-131-blue.html
This one is amazing but the size is 61 MB Square-Beam
Vibrancy-Colors are good loking icons. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Vibrancy+Colors?content=167771
44 MB just the main theme without all the extra colors on the folders and the dark themes  :D

VastOne

Of all I have looked at so far, Nitrux is looking the best...

Almost like phone icons... which can be really cool.  I use the Nano Icons on my Android and use all the grey scale ones and it is epic...

I dev VSIDO