RIP Ian Murdock

hakerdefo

A shocker! Ian is dead! The founder of Debian project is no longer with us! Yesterday I read a series of tweets from Ian threatning suicide and complaining about police brutality. Back then I thought Ian's twitter account was compromised and didn't make much of it. Sadly a while back Docker's Ben Golub posted this sad news,

http://blog.docker.com/2015/12/ian-murdock/

And the following confirmed the sad news,

https://bits.debian.org/2015/12/mourning-ian-murdock.html

RIP Ian! Thoughts and prayers are with his near & dear ones!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

zbreaker

Horrible, a true tragedy.

Rest in Peace Ian, and solace to his family.

VastOne

Stunned by this and what will surface as to the reasons behind his death

A sad day
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

zephyr

A great loss to Linux and Debian, truly a brilliant fellow.

Rest in Peace Ian, and consolation to his family.

He will be truly missed by all.
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

jedi

So sad... :(
I too was following the twitter account, and when nothing appeared on his blog and as the hours went by I feared the worst.  My thoughts are with his family during this dark time...  RIP
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

statmonkey

Sometimes it takes a tragedy like this to put into perspective your personal problems.  I apologize for my not being around for a very long time but I knew if there would be one place where this could be discussed not as a news item but as people it would be here.  Ian's death, regardless of the circumstances is a HUGE shock.  I can't imagine the impact on those who worked with him and loved him.  My heart goes out to them.  I was working on a project a few years ago and corresponded with Ian when he was at Sun.  I found him helpful, humble and human. Like many others I followed him on twitter, like many others I saw his tweets and hoped it was fake or something like that.

The contributions that this person made to everyone who uses a computer, regardless of the OS, the success of open source and so many things related can not be underestimated.  Ian was a giant thinker/doer, who started a journey for millions of people. He was someone who did not seek the credit, limelight or notoriety for truly contributing something of value. He was a rare individual. RIP.

jedi

Quote from: statmonkey on December 31, 2015, 02:03:52 AM

The contributions that this person made to everyone who uses a computer, regardless of the OS, the success of open source and so many things related can not be underestimated.  Ian was a giant thinker/doer, who started a journey for millions of people. He was someone who did not seek the credit, limelight or notoriety for truly contributing something of value. He was a rare individual. RIP.

Statmonkey, so good to see you back!  So sad it's under such tragic circumstances.  I'm thinking that the enormity of his loss to the Linux world in general is pretty much incalculable.  Reading those tweets the other night, you could pretty much hear the desperation coming from him.  Words fail me...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

hakerdefo

You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

Found this today on the Debian Wiki
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

airtime

really sad .. I am just hearing about this thanks to the Vsido Community.  Debian is the longest running distro for me and my org.