vsido-exit stopped working - partially

Snap

After last update, a quite big one since I wasn't dist-upgrading regularly due to my recent HD problems, vsido-exit is not fully working. Only logout works. Not reboot or power off. I suspect of lightdm. Got an update and I found surprising that it doesn't autologin or selects my username as it should. The user field is blank. Then found this about the exit. Anyone else or it's only here?

zephyr

@Snap: My VSIDO install too, can't login.  Has all the issues that you commented on. I guess it's is the d-u that broke the camels back. Didn't see a lightdm update with the d-u, might have missed it. 

Other sid distro installs not effected with the d-u.

Cheers
zephyr
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

Did either of you choose to allow for the new lightdm config file or choose to keep your old one?

I am not seeing this issue but I always retain my config when there is a new lightdm update
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

...Also, I am not seeing the issues with rebooting, logging out or powering off with vsido-exit and the login is the same in lightdm at the start (login name is there and works)
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Been updating regularly.  There was a lightdm update a couple of weeks ago.  I am having no issues exiting, rebooting, or powering off. 
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zephyr

@VastOne & jedi: Remember the last lightdm update in the same time frame as you and opt for the keeping the old. I don't remember seeing lightdm at all on this update. I think it is something else but not sure what to attribute it to. When I booted up, had ugly lightdm and user name not present, would not accept my password. Have been using VSIDO daily and d-u about twice daily, and everything has been going quite smoothly, until the last one. So, it wasn't like it was a large catchup d-u.

Cheers
Zephyr

jedi

Quote from: zephyr on September 22, 2015, 03:04:41 AM
@VastOne & jedi: Remember the last lightdm update in the same time frame as you and opt for the keeping the old. I don't remember seeing lightdm at all on this update.

Hey zephyr, I may have misspoke about the timeframe of my last d-u.  It may have been a couple of days ago.  I have family visiting from MO. and haven't been as active "computer-wise" as I'd like to be.  There was definitely an update within the last couple weeks, and I'm showing another one tonight as shown below.  After the d-u, all was still in great working order!

Me keeping the lightdm.conf file as is...

And also a quick note, there was a dbus-daemon update tonight as well?  Probably has nothing to do with anything.  Anyway, a couple of reboots and a total power-off later and I'm still able to use the vsido-exit menu feature just fine.  Including logout...

To fix the lightdm issue your having, open as root the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and scroll down to the [SeatDefaults] section of the .conf file and uncomment the line that says greeter-hide-users=false
making sure it says false.  This will cause lightdm to remember the username that logged in the last time so all you'll have to do on the next boot is to type in your password.
To change the background, as root, in /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf scroll down to the [greeter] section and uncomment the background or user-background (I can't remember, it is one or both of them anyway) and you can point to any image at any location as long as the image has "read" permission for "Others".
You should then be good to go!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zephyr

@jedi: Thanks for the info, have already prepared another drive for install because I was going to blame another Seagate 1 Tb drive for the misfortune. I ran into that early this year and really a bad hd can cause strange issues.  Thanks

Cheers
zephyr

Snap

Did either of you choose to allow for the new lightdm config file or choose to keep your old one?

Yup, I guess this is it. I think I chose y. Gotta poke those configs....
Thanks, boss.

Snap

have already prepared another drive for install because I was going to blame another Seagate 1 Tb drive for the misfortune. I ran into that early this year and really a bad hd can cause strange issues.

Huh, I'm afraid of my main Seagate 1 TB disk too. I'm hearing noises I never heard before, but maybe it's only this computer is finally silent. You cannot hear it. The old GPU fan spinning like crazy didn't alowed me to hear the disks or anything else. Cross my fingers.  ::)

HDs are not what they used to be. I haven't had a single HD failure from the day one I started using my very first PowerMac 7200 until five years ago or thereabouts (and about twenty different rigs). From that point I saw at least an HD dying per year. Usually more than one. It's not related with brands or price tags. Quality has dropped globally, IMHO. I still have a nice lot of old IDE drives for my Alesis HD24 hard disk recorder that keep working flawlesly. Some are about 10 years old. I cannot imagine current disks living that long.

Snap

Back on topic. I didn't noticed there was a dbus upgrade too. That makes more sense borking the exit than lightdm. I guess I hit Y too... gotta check that dbus too.

lwfitz

Quote from: VastOne on September 22, 2015, 01:39:25 AM

I am not seeing this issue but I always retain my config when there is a new lightdm update

You hit it right on the nose. The new config has issues and is the cause. I had this on my old install but when I reinstalled I chose to keep my config during the upgrade and all is good again
Don't Be A Dick!

Snap

Busy with other things but finally trying to get over this issue. It seems that the new dbus upgrade is setup to work with systmed-logind instead of consolekit (as per vsido defaults). I guess this is what made vsido-exit stop working. This script asks dbus to call consolekit for shutdown and reboot, but consolekit is not running. systemd-logind is now managing the session. The script must be edited for the new conditions (need to find the right commands yet) or try to revert back to consolekit for the session management.

One question just for curiosity, Why vsido keeps using consolekit intead of systemd-logind? And before changing all these settings, any relevant reason to keep going with consolekit?

I made a dirty provisional workaround for this problem. I enabled my user in /etc/sudoers to shutdown and reboot without a password and then repaced the relevant vsido-exit lines for sudo reboot and sudo shutdown -h now.

PackRat

You can give this a try this for now; I edited an exit script from the BunsenLabs distro and made it window manager agnostic - uses systemd commands.

#!/usr/bin/env python
#
# Adapted from the original cb-exit script by <corenominal>
#
# Changed to support for systemd
# Added an Openbox --reconfigure option
#
########################################################################
# If you want a shutdown sound then uncomment and edit line 71
#
# If you want the dialog undecorated by Openbox, the add the following lines to the
# <applications> section in rc.xml
#
# <application class="Bl-exit" name="bl-exit" type="normal">
#          <decor>no</decor>
#          <focus>yes</focus>
#          <layer>normal</layer>
# </application>
#
#
# <damo>  February 2015
#

import pygtk
pygtk.require('2.0')
import gtk
import os
import getpass

class bl_exit:
def disable_buttons(self):
self.cancel.set_sensitive(False)
self.logout.set_sensitive(False)
# self.reconfigure.set_sensitive(False)
self.suspend.set_sensitive(False)
self.reboot.set_sensitive(False)
self.shutdown.set_sensitive(False)

def cancel_action(self,btn):
self.disable_buttons()
gtk.main_quit()

# def logout_action(self,btn):
# self.disable_buttons()
# self.status.set_label("Exiting Openbox, please standby...")
# os.system("openbox --exit")

# def reconfigure_action(self,btn):
# self.disable_buttons()
# os.system("openbox --reconfigure")
# gtk.main_quit()

def logout_action(self,btn):
self.disable_buttons()
for line in os.popen("wmctrl -m"):
parts = line.split()
if parts[0] == "Name:":
wmName = parts[1].lower()
self.status.set_label("Exiting " + wmName + ", please standby...")
os.system("killall " + wmName)

def suspend_action(self,btn):
self.disable_buttons()
self.status.set_label("Suspending, please standby...")
os.system("cb-lock")
os.system("systemctl suspend")
gtk.main_quit()

def reboot_action(self,btn):
self.disable_buttons()
self.status.set_label("Rebooting, please standby...")
os.system("systemctl reboot")

def shutdown_action(self,btn):
self.disable_buttons()
self.status.set_label("Shutting down, please standby...")
# add shutdown sound here
#os.system("aplay /path/to/exit.wav")
os.system("systemctl poweroff")

def create_window(self):
self.window = gtk.Window()
title = "Log out " + getpass.getuser() + "? Choose an option:"
self.window.set_title(title)
self.window.set_border_width(5)
self.window.set_size_request(500, 60)
self.window.set_resizable(False)
self.window.set_keep_above(True)
self.window.stick
self.window.set_position(1)
self.window.connect("delete_event", gtk.main_quit)
windowicon = self.window.render_icon(gtk.STOCK_QUIT, gtk.ICON_SIZE_MENU)
self.window.set_icon(windowicon)

#Create HBox for buttons
self.button_box = gtk.HBox()
self.button_box.show()

#Cancel button
self.cancel = gtk.Button(stock = gtk.STOCK_CANCEL)
self.cancel.set_border_width(4)
self.cancel.connect("clicked", self.cancel_action)
self.button_box.pack_start(self.cancel)
self.cancel.show()

#Logout button
self.logout = gtk.Button("_Log out")
self.logout.set_border_width(4)
self.logout.connect("clicked", self.logout_action)
self.button_box.pack_start(self.logout)
self.logout.show()

#Shutdown button
self.shutdown = gtk.Button("_Power off")
self.shutdown.set_border_width(4)
self.shutdown.connect("clicked", self.shutdown_action)
self.button_box.pack_start(self.shutdown)
self.shutdown.show()

#Reboot button
self.reboot = gtk.Button("Re_boot")
self.reboot.set_border_width(4)
self.reboot.connect("clicked", self.reboot_action)
self.button_box.pack_start(self.reboot)
self.reboot.show()

#Openbox reconfigure button
# self.reconfigure = gtk.Button("Recon_figure")
# self.reconfigure.set_border_width(4)
# self.reconfigure.connect("clicked", self.reconfigure_action)
# self.button_box.pack_start(self.reconfigure)
# self.reconfigure.show()

#Suspend button
self.suspend = gtk.Button("_Suspend")
self.suspend.set_border_width(4)
self.suspend.connect("clicked", self.suspend_action)
self.button_box.pack_start(self.suspend)
self.suspend.show()

#Create HBox for status label
self.label_box = gtk.HBox()
self.label_box.show()
self.status = gtk.Label()
self.status.show()
self.label_box.pack_start(self.status)

#Create VBox and pack the above HBox's
self.vbox = gtk.VBox()
self.vbox.pack_start(self.button_box)
self.vbox.show()

self.window.add(self.vbox)
self.window.show()

def __init__(self):
self.create_window()

def main():
    gtk.main()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    go = bl_exit()
    main()
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

Ah, yes. systemctl. I already forgot that. Thanks, PackRat.

The drawback of my dirty workaround is that it only works for my user (or the allowed users/sudoers if any). Though WM agnostic too, It's not systemwide like systemctl. For a single user account system (aside root) it works fine too.