higher than normal memory usage

crippledmonk

I installed vsido deb kernel (3.7-trunk-amd64) installed on Dell Desktop {optiplex 745}. Intel Core2 Duo, 2 GB ram, 80GB HDD. Fresh install of vsido, ran apt-get update & also did dist-upgrade.

I've noticed conky shows high mem usage (244MiB range). This did drop a lot if I purge the lightdm. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

FYI - I tried to play with autostart.sh and etc but to no avial so reset back to normal including re-install of lightdm and using xfce. As of this posting with xfce4-terminal open and irssi running, and chromium to post this I'm at 244.

Thanks
Todd

VastOne

Hi Todd,

Welcome to VSIDO and the Community!

Do you also still have wicd handling your network? That is 45 MiB wasted there...

I have disabled wicd and use /etc/network/interfaces instead for my network I also use the Liquorix kernel with Xfce 4.10 which is slightly heavier than OB.  I have 2 Conky's 2 Tint2 panels that load on startup and with all that I am 111Mib in use when I login

Check in Boot Up Manager to see if there is anything loading that should not be.  Also check in Task Manager to see what is using memory

dizzie has also managed to get his OB setting down to 85 MiB on bootup, I am sure he will chime in here and give some pointers
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

^ @ VastOne - Are you going to write a little HowTo?

HowTo: Delete WICD & use Network Interface

My  /etc/network/interfaces says:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Stay Home

VastOne

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Sector11

been there, done that.  Thank you.
Stay Home