PMRP - Poor Man's Radio Player

hakerdefo

I was confused whether to post this as update to 'RADIO VSIDO - VSIDO's very own Internet radio player' or to start a new thread? But after some consideration I decided to start it as a new topic.
* So here it is. PMRP - Poor Man's Radio Player. Probably the best bash based Internet radio player in the world.
* Over 250 hand-picked radio stations spanning across different genres and subjects. Whatever you feel like listening to, you'll find it in PMRP.
* Better menus for easier navigation-selection of radio stations.
* Currently playing track information (If available).
Installing PMRP is easy. PMRP uses mpg123 as the back-end so first install it,

sudo apt-get install mpg123

I've attached pmrp here so download it first.

Download PMRP

And save it somewhere in your $PATH with the name 'pmrp' and 'chmod 755' it.
That's it! Open terminal, run 'pmrp', and enjoy from over 250 radio stations.
As usual view-review-comments are welcome.
Cheers!!!

You Can't Always Git What You Want

Snap

IIRC, mpg123 is amongst the Vsido defaults.

Cool, hackerdefo! Downloading and checking

VastOne

Fantastic work... This is brilliant

I appreciate the ambient inclusions.. It is a genre I listen to quite a bit, keeps me calm as I dev..

Listening to and recording PMRP - Electronic - Chill One in one tab and recording with the How To : Record effortlessly from terminal in VSIDO/Linux in another tab while building the next ISO's in VirtualBox

Ya gotta fucking love VSIDO!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

jedi

W  O  W!!!

color me blown-away!  Listening to 'Air Lounge'...
outstanding little radio player hakerdefoe!  very nice work!   8)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

Awesome piece of work. Excellent mix of music.

Need to add:

sakura -e pmrp

to the VSIDO fluxbox menu.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

hakerdefo

Quote from: VastOne on August 07, 2015, 12:07:28 AM
Fantastic work... This is brilliant

I appreciate the ambient inclusions.. It is a genre I listen to quite a bit, keeps me calm as I dev..

Listening to and recording PMRP - Electronic - Chill One in one tab and recording with the How To : Record effortlessly from terminal in VSIDO/Linux in another tab while building the next ISO's in VirtualBox

Ya gotta fucking love VSIDO!
Yeah Ya fuc**ng Gotta  8)
By the way VastOne, 'Station  Categories' -> '14 Rock' -> '14 pinkfloydteguz' was added keeping in mind a certain Mr. Terry Ganus.
Cheers!!!

hakerdefo

@jedi @PackRat Thanks for encouraging words!
Cheers!!!

seppalta

A very nice script-application!  I took the liberty of upgrading the classical music (my music passion) category and adding a small folk music category.  You can get the result with wget http://lxlinux.com/pmrp .

Snap

Nice addition. Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, are you the man behind the http://lxlinux.com/ site? Great job!. It made my day a few times when tweaking OB. One of my main bookmarked references for Openbox.

seppalta

"are you the man behind the http://lxlinux.com/ site?"  Yes, and happy to hear that you use it.   It is my Linux Toolbox, or Memory Bank - saves a lot of searching!  Just add new things as they cross my path and try to keep the rest up-to-date.  Will put up a section on pmrp, a really well put-together app, and lightweight, too, soon. 

Oh!  I corrected (today Wed, Aug. 12) in the lxlinux version a typo (by me) at the end of the classics section: "13) clear Muzic ;;" should be "33) clear Muzic ;;".    Cheers.

Snap

Quotesaves a lot of searching!

Ideed!

Thanks for the correction.

PackRat

Quote from: seppalta on August 12, 2015, 06:37:51 AM
....... and adding a small folk music category.

Irish pub folk songs - now that is classical music -  8)
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

seppalta

I made another small change in the pmrp script to accommodate those who might want quick availability of the station link, for example, to rip what is playing.  By replacing the following line in each station section, echo -e "$BLUE PMRP $NC -> $BLUE Classical $NC -> $BLUE $Name01 $NC:", with  echo -e "$BLUE PMRP $NC -> $BLUE Classical $NC -> $BLUE $Name01 $NC -> $BLUE $link01 $NC:".   This will then display the link on the main page.  I only made the change for classical stations, since I rarely use the others.

Digit

gave this a whirl.  unuseable on my bandwidth.  is there a way to get it to only use the low bandwidth streams?

*gone back to my own even-more-poor man's radio player for now.*

misko_2083

Excelent script hakerdeko.

I'm going to play with yad and this.

#!/bin/bash

mpg123 --remote --fifo /tmp/pipem --utf8 --title --preload 1 --buffer 768 --smooth &
PID="$!"

if [ ! -e "/tmp/pipem" ]; then
  mkfifo /tmp/pipem
fi
sleep 1

function load () {
  echo "load http://relay.181.fm:8134" > /tmp/pipem
}
export -f load

function pause () {
  echo "pause" > /tmp/pipem
}
export -f pause

function stop () {
  echo "stop" > /tmp/pipem
}
export -f stop

yad --form --button "exit!gtk-no:1" \
    --field "load:btn" 'bash -c load' \
    --field "pause:btn" 'bash -c pause' \
    --field "stop:btn" 'bash -c stop'

if [[ $? == 1 || $? == 252 ]]; then
  echo stop > /tmp/pipem
  kill $PID
  rm /tmp/pipem
fi

Categories could go into notebook tabs. I doubt it would all fit. There are tons of stations and categories in PMRP. :)
As for displaying what's playing, separate --text-info window is the only way.