Questions about SpaceFM

Snap

1- As default Vsido doesn't run the spacefm daemon at startup. What's the reason behind avoiding the daemon mode? Saving resources? I'm all curious.

2- I've seen in an antiX screencast that the different spacefm panes are selected just hovering over them instead of clicking (Fluxbox as the WM).  I'd like to have spacefm behaving like that. Is it a Fluxbox tweak or a spacefm thing?

VastOne

Regarding the SpaceFM daemon, I have never used it nor do I know of the need for it. Explain why we should use it please

I'll defer to the FluxBox experts on your second question
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Well, I tried it in daemon mode a while ago (in antiX) and I really didn't noticed the benefits or drawbacks... or i cannot remember them. Just wondering what the daemon mode would give.

I'm going to clone my vsido install and setup SpaceFM in it's full glory. I mean, daemon, session management (mainly to replace nitrogen... I guess) and every plugin available installed (or most of them). I'll report back if I find anything interesting or remarkable.

PackRat

Regarding #2, are the panes within a single instance of spacefm - it's a spacefm setting then. If it is two instances of spacefm, it sounds like Mouse foucus (sloppy focus) which is controlled by the window manager - fluxbox in this case.

I have never run spaceFM in daemon mode because I just need the file manager to copy/move/delete files every now and then. If your work flow is file-manager centric you may see some benefits.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

from the online documentation -

Daemon Mode - Keep SpaceFM always running
Run SpaceFM in the background as a daemon to auto-mount and auto-open devices, and quickly open browser windows on demand. *

It's always automonted removable drives on my systems; auto-open could be handy.

Looking forward to your test results - be sure to compare the resource usage.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

Quote from: PackRat on July 31, 2015, 02:35:55 PM
Regarding #2, are the panes within a single instance of spacefm - it's a spacefm setting then. If it is two instances of spacefm, it sounds like Mouse foucus (sloppy focus) which is controlled by the window manager - fluxbox in this case.

I have never run spaceFM in daemon mode because I just need the file manager to copy/move/delete files every now and then. If your work flow is file-manager centric you may see some benefits.

It's a single instance so it must be a spcefm thing. I'll try to find how the antix folks do it.

Yup, I'm quite file-manager centric. I cannot avoid moving, dropping and reorganizing things and getting all tidy and clean over and over again. Rather compulsive-obsessive... 

Snap

Quote from: PackRat on July 31, 2015, 02:40:18 PM
from the online documentation -

Daemon Mode - Keep SpaceFM always running
Run SpaceFM in the background as a daemon to auto-mount and auto-open devices, and quickly open browser windows on demand. *

It's always automonted removable drives on my systems; auto-open could be handy.

Looking forward to your test results - be sure to compare the resource usage.

I guess I didn't noticed a thing when running spacefm in daemon mode in antix because I virtually always run one instance of a file manager, a terminal and typically an editor too. Other apps come and go, but these three run almost at all times whatever the system. In my particular case, it seems the daemon mode won't be specially useful. Anyway. I'll check and compare resources usage.

PS, though as you say, auto-open could be handy. Perhaps a valid reason to have it running. Resources impact will tell.

VastOne

Quote from: Snap on August 01, 2015, 03:47:06 AM

I guess I didn't noticed a thing when running spacefm in daemon mode in antix because I virtually always run one instance of a file manager, a terminal and typically an editor too.

Now that I resemble... :D

That is me in Dev mode within VirtualBox
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

But I have a furrier beard and don't dev a thing.  :D

Now the results:

After a fresh boot the systems idle @ 117 MB and 114 MB with and without the spacefm daemon running respectively. Everything else equal.

htop - daemon running - no opened spacefm instance

htop - daemon runing - one spacefm instance open (two panes with some tabs per pane)

htop - daemon not running - one spacefm instance open (same same)

The impact is not specially big.

In my personal case, maybe I'll leave it running just for the auto-open feature, but having spacefm openened and usually tabbed with the terminal and the editor doesn't make too much sense either.

Regarding session management I cannot make it work. Ignores to set a wallpaper and nothing else happens in the desktop. I remembered I've tried it in the past with the same results. Maybe Fluxbox overrides it all. I really don't know. Will install and check antix. I think I remember they made it work. Will also check the pane hovering focus there and report back.

Snap

I cannot make the mnttools plugin sshfs option work. Does it work for anyone or is it only here? Any tips?

BTW, I can connect via CLI (openssh) but not to the same server with the spacefm plugin.

Snap

if running mnttools directly in CLI it reports

read: Connection reset by peer

Snap

Tired of this. I give up after hours fighting the mnttools sshfs thing. Fuck this plugin! Since i can connect to my local network via ssh directly from SpaceFM, who the heck needs that plugin after all? what's the purpose?  Just wanted to see it working, but won't waste any single minute more with it. Uninstall mode: ON.