xfce4-terminal and fluxbox apps

Snap

I forget things way faster than learning them. I think I managed to get this working once but I cannot remember how (if I ever did it)

Is there a way to get the xfce4-terminal centered when opened normal but on the top screen when opened as dropdown? The apps file is the one that always drives me crazy. The trickiest par of fluxbox IMHO.

PackRat

here you go:

[app] (name=xfce4-terminal) (class=Xfce4-terminal) (role=xfce4-terminal-dropdown)
  [Position] (TOPCENTER) {0 0}
  [Deco] {0x5e0}
  [Layer] {2}
  [Alpha] {255}
[end]
[app] (name=xfce4-terminal) (class=Xfce4-terminal)
  [Dimensions] {80% 89%}
  [Position] (CENTER) {0 0}
  [Deco] {0x66f}
  [Minimized] {no}
  [Maximized] {no}
  [Fullscreen] {no}
  [Layer] {8}
  [Alpha] {255}
[end]

Change the [DECO] lines to {NORMAL} if you want all your borders, buttons etc ... You will find the [DECO] options in the fluxbox-style man page.

If you want your xfce4-terminals grouped together, then add one line to the stanza:

[group]  (workspace=[current])
[app] (name=xfce4-terminal) (class=Xfce4-terminal)
<rest of stuff>
[end]

As far as setting up the apps file, right clicking on the title bar brings up the WindowMenu; the Remember section writes information to the ~/.fluxbox/apps file. Once you get the windows set up like you want, just activate the WindowMenu and have fluxbox remember the set up.

Learn the apps file and window grouping and you will unleash the elegance of fluxbox.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Nice assist PackRat

I am damned glad to have your expertise with us here

Thank you
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

No problemo.

And since we are talking xfce4-terminal here I will add that many apps - including xfce4-terminal, thunar, and (I think) spacefm, will open with a unique role attribute. When using the Remember section of the WindowMenu, that role is captured. So for example, xfce4-terminal entry will look like -

[app] (name=xfce4-terminal) (class=Xfce4-terminal) (role=<Some Unique Text>)

since the role is unique, the xfce4-terminals will not group. Just delete the "(role=<Some Unique Text>)" from the line and all will be good. Applies to any app that does it.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

PackRat you are a Linux GOD!!!  We are so lucky to have you here.  Adding that to my apps file has made my VSIDO truly perfect now!  Thank-you for that!   :)
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

Great explanation, Ratman. You've made my day! Big thanks.

Snap

QuoteLearn the apps file and window grouping and you will unleash the elegance of fluxbox.

For sure.

The problem is that when I stop tweaking it for a while I competely forget how to deal with it and have to start from the bottom up again. Crap memory around here.

jedi

Seriously PackRat...
Big thanks.  I'm understanding that apps file better every day now!  Adjusted it so my drop-down terminal shows up in the upper left corner!  Love it!!!  8)

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

Me too. Finally learning the apps file. Still fighting with conky positioning, but for the most part I'm starting to have all the windows the way I want them (unlike jedi, xfce4-terminal pops top center).  ;D

Thanks again, PackRat.