July 2015 Screenshot Thread

Snap

A pager? No need. I prefer to use tint2 for this and many other things.  :P

Snap

Quote from: VastOne on July 30, 2015, 04:30:50 AM

RatMan, I am honored for your gifts and kinship. For years now you have done VSIDO and this community a great service I am damned proud of

Amen to that.

PackRat

@hudson- neat trick with bbpager. How about cross posting that in the Using Fluxbox as a Window Manager thread.

@Vastone & Snap- thanks
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

hudson

@PackRat - done  8)

@Snap - have you ever run two instances of tint2? I was going to look into that...one as pager, one as task manager

VastOne

VSIDO default OOTB runs two instances of tint2... the systray and the panel/launcher/taskbar

Not sure how much you have looked into the tint2 launchers hudson, but there is a VSIDO custom launch script that uses xdotool and wmctrl to have the panel/launcher/taskbar work just like cairo dock did... it effectively iconifies everything clicked so that multiple instances are not opened ... This same launch script is used on FluxBox menu items as well

ToZ helped with that script that you can read about here
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Did a clean install of Debian Testing a few weeks ago, and finally got around to upgrading to Sid:

spectrwm, moc, ttyload, urxvt.

off to land of git for gmusicbrowser and other toys now.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Just what is it about Fluxbox?  Like I said, I liked Cinnamon, BUT, it is no Fluxbox!  Fluxbox just makes me feel like I have so much more control.  I don't care about mem useage statistics, or cpu usage anymore as Linux has handily made a non-issue of it.  I've got a quad core i7 with 16Gbs of RAM and a 2Gb Nvidia video card in my lappy!  I could run KDE Plasma if I really wanted to.  Thing is, Fluxbox just gives me more freedom to make it how I want it!  And as far as I'm concerned, it has a serious BLING ability as well...

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

Snap

Quote@Snap - have you ever run two instances of tint2?

Yes. have a lot of different configs somewhere. But I always get back to a single one. Typically very simple too.

Quotettyload
Love this forum. You find and learn new things even in the scrots showing off thread.  :)

Snap

QuoteI've got a quad core i7 with 16Gbs of RAM and a 2Gb Nvidia video card in my lappy!  I could run KDE Plasma if I really wanted to.

That's it. The *nix community is highly concerned for old computers and extending their lives as much as possible. Which is really good. But when the time for a new machine comes. Man, who can say KDE is heavy and slow!!! The whole system with plenty of stuff installed (no restrictions) takes around 12 GB in / and RAM is in the 500 MB range, but can be easily rounded down to circa 330 MB. That still sounds like a lot for a 16 Gigs machine? No it's not and It flies. Literally. I never managed to pass 50% of CPU or RAM load with a KDE system in my current machine (AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 4.295GHz, 16 GB RAM). Whatever I do. And I really tried to stress it. (I'm not a video editor whatsoever)  :D

PackRat

some nostalgia to end July -

debian sid, blackbox, tint2 -

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

Clean and tidy. Love it.

Being a Fluxbox and OpenBox nut I haven't put my hands on BlackBox yet. That should be fixed.

hudson

@jedi - I don't know why, but personally I can't take Cinnamon/Gnome/Mate/Xfce...I think I don't really like desktops. And I'm use to popping up the menu anywhere on the screen. Maybe it all boils down to what you're use to.