VSIDO 32bit & 64bit ISO’s updated 2015-June-27 15:52 CST

VastOne

• Removed sysvinit and made sure systemd and systemctl are the absolute defaults on installation and booting
  • Removed several applications that had deprecated or were not needed (d-feet and tea)
  • Updated to the latest version of ceni that solves the missing Hardware Interfaces
  • Updated all applications to the latest SID levels

All files and torrents can be downloaded from the VSIDO Download page
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

QuoteRemoved sysvinit and made sure systemd and systemctl are the absolute defaults on installation and booting
Removed several applications that had deprecated or were not needed (d-feet and tea)

Cool. Thanks for that. No more afterinstall "clean-up".  ;D

PackRat

I just booted into vsido live session.

Get an error about vmware client not starting because the kernel service - or something like that - isn't installed.

No network connectivity and wicd not working. Killed wicd and used ceni to get a wired connection. My ethernet interfaces are listed as enp2s0 and wlp3s0.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ I was worried about that as an issue since the 'requirement change' happened regarding the need to have the VM client installed on every instance of the build... Was it a brief message and then cleared to boot?

thanks for the feedback Snap!

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

In all my VM tests WICD sees the network and the interfaces as enp0s2 and wlp0s3 and connects without issues. 

A network interface issue from a different network setting from VWare?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

The message last maybe 10 seconds after logging  in then clears.

Wicd wasn't working at all. I logged in expecting wireless - as usual - and no connectivity. Plugged in a cable and rebooted - nothing, logged out and back in to see if it picked up wired - nothing.

The new version of Ceni found and configured both cards though.

Edit - wicd had the cards listed as wlan0 and enp3s0. I manually changed them to enp2s0 and wlp3s0 and have connectivity via wicd; wired and wireless
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I appreciate that PackRat... In the settings for WICD, I have kept the defaults as the most basic in an attempt to match a majority of machines setups... If it were not for the ease of setting up wireless with WICD and the gui interface, I would shitcan it completely

Is the option to have no defaults for interfaces in the WICD settings realistic? 

Something to think about

Edit - The settings you changed WICD to should have been the default... Let me see where the malfunction happened and correct that and get back to you

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

For anyone needing to know how to make sure your WICD settings are correct, first do this in a terminal:

ifconfig -a

Get your wireless and ethernet names and make sure they are the same within WICD /  Preferences / Network Interfaces

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on June 29, 2015, 07:27:56 PM
Edit - wicd had the cards listed as wlan0 and enp3s0. I manually changed them to enp2s0 and wlp3s0 and have connectivity via wicd; wired and wireless

Can you verify that the names are enp0s2 and not enp2s0 please... If it is that much of a difference this can be a monster headache for standards

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Live session defaults for my system -

just change wicd to match and connectivity is good.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Thanks and yes I get that all one needs to do is change it, but there is no rhyme or reason for a 'default' anymore which means I am going to have to leave WICD preferences blank and have the users set it up following what we have outlined with ifconfig -a

This is troubling to me, why would your system have a naming convention of enp2s0 and mine be enp0s3?  So close but miles apart?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

We probably need to update the Ceni How To and add a WICD section to it and rename it as

Network Setup In VSIDO

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

dizzie

Greetings vsidoians

Have any of you tried this "hack" ?

edit this -> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules

And add this :

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff", NAME="net1"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa", NAME="net0"
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

jedi

Hey dizzie!  Long time no see!  Nice hack...

But...

Doesn't that bypass the built in security systemd provides when using the default net id's?  I've actually had one come up as 'enp0s17'!  As VSIDO is based on "SID", shouldn't users be able to do this anyway?  I would think anyone using a "SID" based distro would have the knowledge level to handle this pretty easily.  That being said, we have a "How To" on "Network Setup in VSIDO" for anyone having issues...
It can be found here, Network Setup in VSIDO!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous