Network and all cards/hardware GONE

VastOne

It did not make these changes on the build systems, enp0s3 is still in play...

However, I do have the rules in place on this system to 'rebrand' everything to eth0 and wlan0 so my guess is is that the kernel matched the needs of udev/systemd and those functions are  now working

I will let you know Lennart
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

QuoteIan Jackson is also in the background laughing his ass off right now with the biggest shit eating I TOLD YOU SO grin ever seen

No doubt

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I told you all I would keep you updated...

I have had a file for quite a while that resides in /etc/udev/rules.d called 70-persistent-net.rules

I had to create this file quite sometime ago because something changed my eth0 to eth1 and made a mess so this kept my ethx's in order

70-persistent-net.rules

# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
# program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
#
# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
# line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:24:1d:76:86:86", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8168 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:24:1d:76:86:84", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x1814:0x0201 (rt2500pci)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:12:17:66:73:91", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"

# PCI device 0x1186:0x1300 (8139too)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:13:46:31:22:fd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth2"

# USB device 0x:0x (zd1211rw)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:22:2d:4b:23:fd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan1"

As I assumed, I deleted this file and rebooted back into my systemd network

So as hakerdefo pointed out in his earlier post, this is the solution but it obviously had been blocked until the latest kernel had 'allowed' it again...

We seem to be working on so many different changing levels...

Debian
Debian SID (Yes very distinctively different than Debian)
Systemd devs
Kernel Devs

I believe this is the life of SID now and may be this way until all this irons out and standards are once again hammered into place

I live for this... I complain a lot, but this is fun and a challenge... I believe we are the core users who are figuring all this shit out and this work is being seen and people are taking notice

For all who do assist and work to make it right for VSIDO and then the rest of this bizarre ecosystem, I salute you all!

I dev VSIDO

Snap

PackRat

Quote<snip> I have had a file for quite a while that resides in /etc/udev/rules.d called 70-persistent-net.rules

<snip> I live for this... I complain a lot, but this is fun and a challenge... I believe we are the core users who are figuring all this shit out and this work is being seen and people are taking notice

I went the opposite way and commented the 70-persistent-net.rules out so on reboot my interfaces would have the new nomenclature (getting use to the systemd way). Interesting that ceni had no issue with detecting them (wired and wireless on desktop and laptop), but systemd-networkd just barfed. Using ceni configured interfaces on both computers for now since I don't do much roaming with the laptop anymore.

I'm sure it's a relatively simple fix to get systemd-networkd to recognize the new interface name, but that can wait.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I used this page to setup my systemd-networkd bond

From that I gleaned that if you ran

systemctl enable systemd-networkd
systemctl start systemd-networkd

then your systemd network would auto start and all would be good

When my device names switched back to eth0 and wlan0, this file

/etc/systemd/network/10-create-bond0.network:

[Match]
Name=enp1*

[Network]
Bond=bond0

auto changed to

[Match]
Name=eth*

[Network]
Bond=bond0

Which is good, but I do not believe systemd-networkd is auto starting.  Once I changed that file back to show the original enp1 value, I did a

systemctl enable systemd-networkd
systemctl start systemd-networkd

and the network came up

Way too much manipulations to get a simple network going

This arch wiki page starting with Configuration examples is great for setting up systemd-networkd config files

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on July 08, 2015, 05:40:21 PM

I went the opposite way and commented the 70-persistent-net.rules out so on reboot my interfaces would have the new nomenclature (getting use to the systemd way). Interesting that ceni had no issue with detecting them (wired and wireless on desktop and laptop), but systemd-networkd just barfed. Using ceni configured interfaces on both computers for now since I don't do much roaming with the laptop anymore.

I'm sure it's a relatively simple fix to get systemd-networkd to recognize the new interface name, but that can wait.

I think we both did the same thing, removing what was in 70-persistent-net.rules letting systemd-networkd take over

Ceni is on board now with the name changes and systemd-networkd/udev changes and saves it all to /e/n/i which seems to take precedence over whatever is in /etc/systemd/network

I think systemd-networkd is barfing because it may not be starting on a reboot...

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I did all the file editing and systemctl restart steps you outlined; systemd-netword just did not recognize the device name change. After doing the basics, I disabled systemd-networkd, rebooted, and ran ceni to get a working network.

I also find it interesting that my desktop devices are enp2s0 and wlp3s0 while the laptop is eno1 and wlo1 - got me curious on how those device names actually get generated - other than the "en" and "wl" part.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo