Network and all cards/hardware GONE

VastOne

^ I agree, the debian wiki is extremely lacking

I have tried all the proposed methods to get ethx back as the defaults and keep failing

For some reasons, I am not at all surprised
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Hi there VastOne! I think you can achieve the same without changing your '/etc/network/interfaces' file via udev rules.
sudo ifconfig
And note down MAC addresse(s) of your ethernet device(s).  The output after "HWaddr" is the physical hardware address. For example '00:1A:2B:B3:12:21'.
Next open your text editor with sudo and create a file like this,

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1A:2B:B3:12:21", NAME="eth0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1B:2C:B4:23:32", NAME="eth1"

Change value of 'ATTR{address}==' with the MAC address of your device and change value of 'NAME=' with the desired interface name for that device.
Save the file in '/etc/udev/rules.d' directory with the name '70-persistent-net.rules'. In case the file exists rename the original file to '70-persistent-net.rules.bak'.
Reboot and check.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

aibo

Quote from: PackRat on June 20, 2015, 04:22:07 PM
Predictable Network Interfaces - systemd

Why not using solution 1 or 4 from the official documentation PackRat posted? Don't they work on sid?

VastOne

@aibo & @hakerdefo

I have tried all of the mentioned solutions verbatim without success

I dev VSIDO

paxmark1

Yeah, it got wonky for me with ceni  and wifi after systemd 215-18 and the jump to 220-x. I did delay on that jump.  I have gone to connman to configure wifi (eth0 is dhcp and it does it automagically for me) on 2 testing and one sid(uction) machine  Others posting elsewhere who used ceni are going to the cli of network-manager or configuring the networking service of systemd.   All 3 have a specific service set up for systemd to use, just don't use 2 services.  So far connman (using the interface connmanctl) works on (1)my testing wayland-weston hdd, (2)a sparky testing kde on a netbook (using the qt gui cmst for connman) and (3) on an amd netbox with sid(uction) and lxqt.  ceni is just not going to function that well with systemd, and my guess for wicd (I did take a peek at the git page) is that it is not that well suited for systemd either. 

I think an analogy is that the usage of init 3 and init 5 in a tty worked for a while with systemd, but now starting weeks ago using init3 and 5 for me  killed eth0 and then later polkit and I would have to restart the internet in ~/. 

One possible undocumented thing about connman is that using "connman agent on" does not work to enter the script to enter your psk phrase.  However using the interreactive interface connmanctl <enter>  new line > agent on  will bring up the script to enter the name of the passphrase after you ask to connect the wifi service. 

peace

VastOne

@paxmark1

Thanks for that information and detail

I will definitely look into connman as more of a solution especially now that it appears ceni is dead

This all feels as if devs are just saying Fuck It and giving up on projects that need to be run with or altered for systemd.  Is this collusion?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

More fun... (If I had not shaved my head today ... I would just pull all my hair our one by one)

loaded connman

ran connmanctl

exited out to learn more about it (was expecting a script or menu system)

Now my network is deader than hell ...

Removed connman thinking it would restore to old

NOPE

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Got my network back... for whatever reasons connman removed all resolv.conf information

I restored the settings and am back up

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Seems like moving to connman is a popular choice right now ... hit an miss though (it never worked for me the 2-3 times I tried it).

QuoteThis all feels as if devs are just saying Fuck It and giving up on projects that need to be run with or altered for systemd.  Is this collusion?

I don't think it's collusion. Now that systemd has progressed well beyond an init system and keeps evolving, (unpaid) devs aren't going to spend the time trying to keep pace. They will drop side projects, or move into non-systemd OS's.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I ended up digging  into systemd-networkd and figured it all out... I am now running a bond setup using simple scripts within the structure of systemd-networkd

It is actually simple and elegant in it's design

When I get around to it, I will write up what I did for this type of bond and network setup

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

It works with wired and wireless on my laptop.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

I'll point this out here since I don't want to start a whole new thread about it.

Now that Debian has moved to the systemd convention of naming network interfaces enp0s3 etc .... any custom firewall rules you were using are most likely not working because the firewall was configured for eth0, wlan0 etc ... If I'm not mistaken, iptables just fails silently in the background it the interface doesn't exist.

Something to keep in mind when updating to the latest builds and restoring backups of your system configuration.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: VastOne on June 25, 2015, 02:34:14 AM
I ended up digging  into systemd-networkd and figured it all out... I am now running a bond setup using simple scripts within the structure of systemd-networkd

Quote from: PackRat on July 07, 2015, 06:52:32 PM
I'll point this out here since I don't want to start a whole new thread about it.

Now that Debian has moved to the systemd convention of naming network interfaces enp0s3 etc .... any custom firewall rules you were using are most likely not working because the firewall was configured for eth0, wlan0 etc ... If I'm not mistaken, iptables just fails silently in the background it the interface doesn't exist.

Something to keep in mind when updating to the latest builds and restoring backups of your system configuration.

Some more weed for the pipes we must now smoke....

I upgraded to the latest SID Debian kernel (4.0.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.0.7-1 (2015-07-06) and booted to NO FUCKING NETWORK!

Good ole ifconfig -a shows ... wait for it, wait for it... YOU GUESSED IT! eth0 and wlan0 ARE BACK

And I have just officially gone insane!

Even though I specifically setup systemd-networkd to be the 'official' gatekeeper and network starter here, it failed due to these name changes again

What in the hell is Debian/Systemd/udev doing?

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I know what they are doing...

They know they have the freaks over at VSIDO Linux to test and bait this shit on

(Mad dev laughter in the background) ... 'Go ahead Lennart and do it, those guys will figure the shit out anyway'

Ian Jackson is also in the background laughing his ass off right now with the biggest shit eating I TOLD YOU SO grin ever seen

I dev VSIDO