Network and all cards/hardware GONE

VastOne

Hey PackRat...

No, I have not found the reasoning behind this issue... I did correct my failures by bonding the two nics and a ifup bond0 works flawlessly on bootup where ifup eth0 still fails.  I have noticed activity on the ifupdown tools coming from the devs but nothing yet fixes that issue

On the ceni side, it is broken and going to the Siduction Ceni Repo and getting the latest version does nothing to correct it.  I will log into there later and file a bug report

VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Still seeing the same thing as you PackRat (and I am parking an image)

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

VastOne, under '/etc/init.d' directory do you have any network related init scripts aside from 'networking', like 'networking.save' and 'networking~' ? If yes remove 'networking.save' and 'networking~' files and reboot.
Just a shot in the dark!
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

hakerdefo

And regarding the boot up process and extra time taken to bring the network interfaces up you can supposedly solve it by a simple modification in the '/etc/network/interfaces' file. In this file replace all instances of 'auto' with 'allow-hotplug'. For example change,

allow-auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

to

allow-hotplug lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save the file and reboot. I didn't test this. It's another shot in the dark!
Cheers!!!

hakerdefo

This article though not directly related, could be useful,
Switching to systemd-networkd
It's past midnight here, so I got to but knowing VastOne he won't give up easily! All the best!
Cheers!!!

dizzie

Got both Debian and Arch to run with OpenRC, some systemd crud still hiding, means I need more testing boss  8)
But it looks very doable, but but but(t) who would be interested in a systemd free system? For the general user, systemd is fine, and less annoying  ;)

As for Ceni, I know you have, but I still have to ask? Got all the firmware drivers installed?
Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

VastOne

@hakerdefo, nothing other than networking in init.d and I have known about the allow-hotplug issue for a while and had that set. Keep in mind that these very same configs are in other partitions and work fine including all firmware drivers @dizzie

This is my /e/n/i

#auto lo
#iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
# address 10.0.1.22
# broadcast 10.255.255.255
# gateway 10.0.1.1
# netmask 255.0.0.0
# network 10.0.0.0

# The primary network interface 10.0.01 network
allow-hotplug eth0
allow-hotplug eth1
allow-hotplug bond0

auto bond0

iface bond0 inet static
        address 10.0.1.22
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        network 10.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.255.255.255
        gateway 10.0.1.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        # dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
        # dns-search example.com

up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
        down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1

As you see, the bond0 is nothing different than what eth0 should be doing, except that it works on bootup and eth0 does not

This is beyond bizzare

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I would file a bug report for ceni, but it is taking too long to get approved to make a bug report over on Siduction

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Hey VastOne try this. First stop networking,
sudo invoke-rc.d networking stop
Backup your current config,
sudo mv /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.bak
And save the following as your new '/etc/network/interfaces' file,

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
address 10.0.1.22
netmask 255.0.0.0
network 10.0.0.0
broadcast 10.255.255.255
gateway 10.0.1.1
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_mode active-backup
bond_miimon 100
bond_downdelay 200
bond_updelay 200

Start networking,
sudo invoke-rc.d networking start
Now what does ifconfig show?
ifconfig -a
Cheers!!!

blaze

Ran into this crap too. Installed wicd-curses, and got things working again.
blazingaway

VastOne

Latest kernel (4.0.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.0.5-1 (2015-06-16)) and/or latest systemd has killed the network within V-Box

This shit is getting old

Blaze, wicd-curses?  I will have to give it a try.  WICD in VSIDO sees no eth0 available or any card for that matter

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Turns out udev is renaming eth0 as enp0s3 ... ifconfig -a shows it as enp0s3 in /e/n/i

Changing that in /e/n/i and WICD preferences corrected it

Fuck me WHAT IS WRONG WITH eth0?  BEEN THAT FUCKING WAY FOREVER

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Predictable Network Interfaces - systemd

I for one have not seen the problem he describes since Redhat 6/7 (the original pre-Fedora versions) - which would be old technology, not new. I have never seen anyone have this issue in a help forum.

If I was really cynical, I would say it's a systemd work around for a persistent Red Hat bug -  :P

You can set up your computers to keep the eth[X] and wlan[X] nomenclature - with a udev rule, I believe - maybe the Sid udev rule got broken during an update? My recent clean install of Debian Testing has eth0, eth1.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

I believe I am seeing it because I do have multiple nics in all my production machines. That is good knowledge PackRat I appreciate that article, thanks man

The issue with this I have is why not have some simple message on a your udev update that says 'hey if you have multiple network cards you might want to be aware that there will be or could be a possible name change and oh by the way just do a iconfig -a and check the new name.'?

Nothing like that ever happened, tis the new world order

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

That would have been nice.

What also needs to happen is Debian get off the snide and update/improve their wiki so it's on par with the  Arch wiki - especially as it pertains to systemd. The distros are just different enough under the hood that the Arch wiki doesn't give you all the answers.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo