Network and all cards/hardware GONE

VastOne

Gone Baby Gone

Updated yesterday on the build machine...

Since then NO NADA ZERO network... no matter what interface I put in the machine, it does not register

ceni sees no hardware interfaces at all

No errors, nothing obvious anyway...

I have only just now calmed down enough just to begin troubleshootiing.. I am pissed!  First VirtualBox and now the network? 

I can boot to any other partition on the same machine and have a perfect network with all cards and usb wifi dongles seen

Just not the build partition

Attack please.... let me know what you want to see
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

It may be related to this issues... Not sure, but it seems similar

Wired Network Manager weirdness

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Connected again.. this is the build partition... I just kept plugging and unplugging the cat5 and it suddenly came up... tried several different cables, routers and ports already so that is not the issue

Ceni still sees no hardware interfaces, this is still an issue

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Your network interfaces show with either:

ip link

or

ifconfig -a

if so, they have the typical names - eth0, wlan0 etc ... Pretty sure the default for systemd is to give the interfaces names like eno1 etc ... and Debian reverts back to the old standard (Arch does not).

What distro(s) are on your other partitions?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

All partitions are VSIDO in some varying stages... (I have so little time for anything other than VSIDO)

Several are current installs of VSIDO and/or just prior to the last dist-upgrade of this build partition

eth2 below is another card I added to eliminate this as an onboard realtek / mod issue

vastone@vsido:~$ ifconfig -a

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:1d:76:86:84 
          inet addr:10.0.1.22  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::224:1dff:fe76:8684/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:619404 errors:0 dropped:11 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:349360 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:710369622 (677.4 MiB)  TX bytes:31410915 (29.9 MiB)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:1d:76:86:86 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:46:31:22:fd 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:2168 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2168 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:216012 (210.9 KiB)  TX bytes:216012 (210.9 KiB)

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

I forgot to ask in my previous post - how do you manage your network ceni or wicd?

wicd (and gnome network-manager) are incompatible with the /etc/network/interfaces file. I've actually had a similar issue (fedora and debian) where the (gnome or wicd) network manager service fails if there is a /etc/network/interfaces file and the result is there is no network. Usually the system hangs for a bit until the service fails then finishes booting with no network connectivity. I can't recall if the devices - eth0, eth1 etc .. are not created in that scenario; if true ceni would not be able to list them.

If you're using wicd, you can fix the problem by just removing/renaming the /etc/network/interfaces file; if you're using ceni, you'll have to disbale the wicd service and purge the configuration files.

So eth0 and eth1 are onboard ethernet not pci cards?

Is there a kernel version difference between your build partition and the other installs? Gordon also seems to be having an issue with a realtek module at the moment. Boot into a partition that has network conectivity and get the results of:

lsmod      <-- or lsmod | grep rt

and

lspci | grep Ethernet

Should be able to get the required realtek module needed for your ethernet. You can then try modprobe on the effected build and see if it loads.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

I do mine the old school way of just editing and managing /e/n/i ... I do use ceni to check issues such as these but not to save anything

Yes, eth0 and eth1 are onboard. I did in fact have a similar issue about a month ago on my duplicate machine that runs all the backup services (www, files, music, etc) ... it resolved itself eventually (through updates) but I did have to add the same NIC to that machine that is now eth2 on this one just to get to the internet... Unlike this machine, it loaded right away and I had no issues

There are no kernel version that are different on the partitions that do work, the only difference is that they were not updated to the latest SID levels

I will get the lsmod and lspci results soon and post them

From this partition (one with issues)

vastone@vsido:~$ lspci | grep Ethernet

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
05:06.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Info from second partition with same kernel

vsido@vsido:~$ lspci | grep Ethernet

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
05:06.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

This all appears to be a systemd issue... on the boot of the other partition I noticed a halt on the systemd load as it paused with a time out and red flag until ifup eth0 loaded, which it eventually did

I rebooted to this partition and did not see a pause, and did not have any connectivity, all was down and dead again

I ran

sudo ifup eth0

and am now connected...

I am getting a wee bit tired of all the shit lately of debian and/or systemd (since one depends on the other, are they the same now?)

dizzie posted a script on how on arch you can go from systemd to openrc in 28 seconds... when that is ported to debian, I will experiment

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Looks like realtek - or whoever maintains their drivers for linux - are dropping the rt fro the name.

lsmod | grep 81  <-- grep 84[code]

should list the modules that need loading for that chip.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

dizzie posted a script on how on arch you can go from systemd to openrc in 28 seconds... when that is ported to debian, I will experiment

But would you lose access to the debian repos since systemd will be embedded as a dependency? Part of the experiment, I guess.

That will suck big time if intermittent hardware outages are a side effect of systemd - almost a step backwards to the days when most distros weren't hardware compatible OOTB.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

dizzie

Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on June 05, 2015, 06:41:36 PM

But would you lose access to the debian repos since systemd will be embedded as a dependency? Part of the experiment, I guess.

That will suck big time if intermittent hardware outages are a side effect of systemd - almost a step backwards to the days when most distros weren't hardware compatible OOTB.

There is no experiment, for all my huffing and puffing, we are dedicated to debian... They need to take notice though, IMO ... how is the issue, what venue I mean

It does in fact feel like the old days again, and maintaining a broken distro is not my desire of fun

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Decided to try a dist-upgrade on my second and duplicate hw machine ... been holding off on it due to the nature of things... Grave warnings regarding serious bugs with systemd updates from listbugs... I will hold off a bit longer

I know we live in SID, I know this is the nature of this beast, but it seems to have gotten worse lately ... with no real explanations

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

You ever get more information on this issue? Especially -

Quoteceni sees no hardware interfaces at all

I don't roam too much anymore with the laptop so I was going to disable the wicd service and use ceni to configure my network - saves a lot of memory.

Epic fail.

Ceni does not see the network cards - eth0 and wlan0 - as hardware interfaces, but rather logical interfaces; and no longer scans for wireless networks. I used the current iso to get into a live session. Ceni worked fine - so this is a recent change - and I created a /etc/network/interfaces file to copy over to the harddrive. It worked (so it's a work around for now).

Tried to do a search and got some hits but nothing pertinent.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo