Internet Connection

Gordon

Hi All.

I have just had a 50 Meg connection installed in the house, the only thing is it is very slow less than 1 Meg and I was wondering if there is something I am supposed to do in Linux. I have a dual boot with Windows 8 and I get about 16 Meg on that still slow but a lot better that Linux. Any ideas or help please ? :(
Cheers :D
Gordon
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H , 8 Gb Ram, Realtek RX550 Graphics,  VSIDO

PackRat

Wireless or hard line connection?
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Are you using multiple sites to test speeds?  I have seen similar issues such as this at one site but then see completely the opposite at the next

Make sure also that you have nothing prohibiting the tests such as noscript or adblock
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Gordon

Hi PackRat, VastOne

@ PackRat Wireless

@ VastOne Yes I have tried multiple sites and get different reading from them all but none of them give a high speed reading. All add-ons are disabled

Thanks for the replies folks  :)
Gordon

PackRat

Forgot to ask what wireless adapter if you're using wireless -

lspci

or

sudo lshw -C network   <-- detailed information of just your network interfaces

You can try doing a search using "slow wireless linux" - I got a lot of results for Ubuntu systems; most involved creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d for a particular card.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

as requested here goes

gordon@gordon:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Graphics Port 0)
00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI0)
00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI1)
00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI2)
00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI3)
00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB (OHCI4)
00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 IDE
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
02:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 04)
02:07.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)
02:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
gordon@gordon:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for gordon:
  *-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: f
       bus info: pci@0000:02:0f.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 10
       serial: 00:1f:d0:57:a5:e9
       size: 10Mbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
       resources: irq:23 ioport:dc00(size=256) memory:fdffd000-fdffd0ff memory:fde00000-fde1ffff
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       physical id: 1
       bus info: usb@1:3.4.3
       logical name: wlan0
       serial: 00:1b:2f:a2:10:82
       capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8187 driverversion=4.0.0-1-amd64 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.0.7 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
gordon@gordon:~$

Hope it helps, don't know what to expect myself'

My actual wireless dongle is a Netgear WG111v2

thanks for your assistance :)
Gordon

PackRat

QuoteMy actual wireless dongle is a Netgear WG111v2

I did a search for "slow wireless linux Netgear WG111v2" - there are a lot of pages for that particular device; and lots of threads on the Ubuntu forum. Seems to be a bit of a problematic wireless dongle. Most of what I found was circa 2007-2009 and involved the ndiswrapper to get it working so can't really recommend anything. You can try a search to see if you can find something more current that addresses just the speed.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat,

Thanks for that, never thought of searching for  "slow wireless linux Netgear WG111v2"  :-[ . Looks like I will have to buy a new dongle. Anything you can recommend ?
Gordon

PackRat

I've never used one so I can't recommend any.

You might want to go to the #!, Linux Mint or some other Debian forum and do a search for that dongle; see if someone got it working.

I did a quick search of usb wireless compatible with linux an found this. - Asus seems to be a good brand to look into.

If you decide to buy another one, you could probably find a couple with the specs you want and search to see if it's linux compatible.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat

Thanks for that and all your help, I will do a search and see what I come up with. Will let you know in the end.

Again thanks for the help  :)
Gordon

Gordon

Hi PackRat'

Thanks for that and all your help. I will do a search and let you know how I am progressing or not as the case may be.

Again thanks for the help  :)
Gordon

Gordon

Hi All

Back again with a slightly different query but still concerning internet connection.

I have just purchased an Edimax EW-7811DAC USB Adaptor after reading various articles this one seemed to be the best. Right I have downloaded the driver from realtex's site and after a lot of trying I manage to use the make command only to come up with errors , double dutch to me, so I downloaded it again only to come up with the errors again, so no idea what to do now, any help please ? :( The driver it seems to want is rtl8192c (cu) which on looking around  the system is mentioned but I don't know how to get it to work or even find out if it is install correctly. it is in the synaptic package manager which says it there. What's the next line of attack please ?
Gordon

PackRat

If you have the realtek firmpackage installed, the driver should be installed and the dongle working.

If you have to compile the driver, there should have been an INSTALL or README file included that will have the instructions to compile and install properly.

Did you download this driver, or were you actually directed to realtek's site?

Edit - unziping the driver from the edimax site and there is a realtek 8821/8812AU driver file. That's different from the realtek driver you mentioned.

Edit #2 - the clean command in this driver file looks to remove the 8192c driver before the 8821 driver gets compiled. Verify you have the current driver that needs to be installed. The driver package on the edimax site is 2014, the realtek 8192 driver is 2013.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Gordon

Hi PackRat.

I think I have tried both options but I will go back to Linux and try the site you have tagged again. I have probably mixed up the instructions knowing me still keep on going. Anyway thanks for the quick reply
Gordon

PackRat

Since you're building a kernel module, you will need to run make as root. Using sudo should work, but you may need to actually su to root.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo