(Solved) lxdm is broken, had to replace it with lightdm

VastOne

I have an open bug report here but it seems to be not taken seriously since it cannot be reproduced.

Perhaps we can solve this for them... Is anyone on any SID version now that can load and run lxdm and test it as well? If you use the latest VSIDO fsarchive download you will need to download lxdm to see the issue
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

More intel on this, I reran
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lxdm and booted to the blank screen as shown below but when I go to tty1 (ctrl alt f1) and login, startx  happens as if it were logging in from any login manager and I am started at my normal desktop...

This is interesting and may provide more opportunities to isolate and/or solve.

I dev VSIDO

riV

Hello VastOne
Three themes lxdm 5.3-5; Industrial works.
VSIDO and VSIDO_Plain are a lockout. cannot open display.
startx did not work.

sudo cat for the [display]theme= to get current setting in lxdm.conf
from current setting to Industrial is one of these.
change to Industrial theme run command and reboot. (?) 
sudo sed -i "s/VSIDO_Plain/Industrial/" /etc/lxdm/lxdm.confsudo sed -i "s/VSIDO/Industrial/" /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf

VastOne

Quote from: riV on November 25, 2023, 09:08:45 AMHello VastOne
Three themes lxdm 5.3-5; Industrial works.
VSIDO and VSIDO_Plain are a lockout. cannot open display.
startx did not work.

Thanks riV that did solve it, but as bad as Industrial looks I think I will just eliminate a greeter. Do you know if Industrial is the only one that works?

I dev VSIDO

riV

Hello VastOne
Good that you will test lxdm. refigured.
<sudo lxdm-config> Background set color black middle-choice using
Theme lxdm Trisample data theme Name=VSIDO3
destination /usr/share/lxdm/themes/
trial sample in . z i p
https://sabercathost.com/a6c3/themelxdmVSIDO3.zip

VastOne

Hello riV

I reconfigured using lxdm-config and set the background color to black but
I extracted the zip and in lxdm.conf made VSIDO3 the default theme

Still no good.. I did not change the background image, should that have been removed?

I dev VSIDO

riV

Hello VastOne
VSIDO3 lxdm theme
lxdm-config Background set to (None) and checking the Default selection shows the wave.svg background with the spacefm icon that is named login.png.
lxdm-config Background set to (None) and checking the black color selection shows black background with the spacefm icon that is named login.png.
lxdm-config Background set to (None) and checking that first selection Background (None)  shows the wave.svg background with the spacefm icon that is named login.png.(?)
Thanks for trying.
I see that in /lxdm/lxdm.conf there is a "bg=" still set to /usr/share/images/desktop-base/vsido_login.png, but it is properly somehow ignoring that and working correctly according to lxdm-config setting. I wonder if you need to change path or comment out that "bg= ... image desktop-base"?
Only one instance/ one machine here to test. Machine is working with lxdm. lightdm is not installed; I embraced lxdm with confidence and lxdm is working with either Industrial theme or VSIDO3 theme.

VastOne

Thanks riV .. I have tried multiple different instances and configs to the point that I cant even get Industrial to work anymore and honestly I am to the point of just saying the hell with it and staying with lightdm even though I think lxdm is so much better..

I am going to uninstall lxdm and wipe away all instances of any config files and try this all again

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Hey riV I did get VSIDO3 to work so I am making progress! Will keep this thread updated

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

I got VSIDO3 working and back to the way I was when all this started.. Basically you have to have whatever login.png file in the root of VSIDO3 directory ... So I used gIMP and created a blank png file that I have attached to this ... It is simply a dummy login.png with nothing but a transparent background.

I dev VSIDO

riV

with a transparent background we will see the penguins? the ram? cpu?
Good progress; Your "foot is in the door" to lxdm.
Awwwwww, spacefm folder dummy login image now a blank.
We look forward to seeing your next lxdm theme that grows from dummy blank.

The [140x140] size will autoalign on lxdm; trial of different sizes to experience different autoalign outcome. (?) with transparent you will not see the image jump between username and password as it autoaligns to the single box.

riV

lxdm 0.5.3-5 on vsido
Caps Lock state indicator during password.
upward arrow
Hello VastOne and Everyone

VastOne

Quote from: riV on November 27, 2023, 02:49:46 AMwith a transparent background we will see the penguins? the ram? cpu?
Good progress; Your "foot is in the door" to lxdm.
Awwwwww, spacefm folder dummy login image now a blank.
We look forward to seeing your next lxdm theme that grows from dummy blank.

The [140x140] size will autoalign on lxdm; trial of different sizes to experience different autoalign outcome. (?) with transparent you will not see the image jump between username and password as it autoaligns to the single box.

I am working on it and will have it ready on the next release of the VSIDO FSA's. This is a working version of it now

I dev VSIDO

VastOne

Worked on this quite a bit today and came up with what I decided to go with as the default login screen now.. The attached file just needs to be saved in /usr/share/images/desktop-base directory and it's already pointed to that file in /etc/lxdm/default.conf

I dev VSIDO

jedi

Great and timely fix guys much appreciated.  I had already gone my own route around this minor irritant and found my way back home to lxdm in less than 12 hours!

Nice job riV and VastOne!  Always a smart guy around to fix our stuff just because we're using your SID!  ???
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous