kmod breaks pppoe

Snap

What to do with this upgrade? Got a bug warning finally!  :P  It breaks pppoe. I made a clone of a vsido system into a virtual machine to check what it breaks, dist-upgraded (kmod included) and at boot some lines complained about the network but it scrolls too fast to read it properly. In the end the network still works fine. So, should I hold the package or forget about it and go ahead? I'm not sure if I'm using pppoe anyway. I'm far from a networking expert.

PackRat

How do you connect to the internet? pppoe is usually associated with DSL connections.

kmod is kernel related, might want to wait a bit on your upgrade to see if it sorts itself out.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

lwfitz

Where are you? If in the US are you on the west coast or east? Whos is your internet provider?

In the US, Verizon uses DHCP on the West coast and PPOE on the East. AT&T uses PPOE and DHCP on both coasts, and most other major internet providers are DHCP (time warner, charter, cox... etc).

If you have a static IP then you are PPOE but if your internet provider assigns your IP dynamically (it changes from time to time) then you are on DHCP.

If you still arent sure then just do as PackRat suggested and wait a few days to see if this gets fixed.
Don't Be A Dick!

Snap

Spain. No idea of what my ISP uses. Anyway it was a test on a VM. I just held the package pinning it and using aptitude to keep the installed version.

Snap

More than fixed it's getting worse. Keep holding it for now.