Crunchbang

VastOne

Interesting that the 1.3.7 version of FluxBox has been available since February and is still stuck in Experimental

I will test it for a couple of weeks and if it is stable I will include it in the next round of ISO builds
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quote from: VastOne on July 30, 2015, 09:22:03 PM
Interesting that the 1.3.7 version of FluxBox has been available since February and is still stuck in Experimental

I will test it for a couple of weeks and if it is stable I will include it in the next round of ISO builds

I upgrade to the git version of fluxbox - 1.3.7 - after every clean install; it's awesome.

@hudson - openbox is still being developed; read the Download page and look at their git repository to track development. I don't think they have posted to the News section for years now. Pace of development is slow for both since they were originally based on blackbox (o.6/0.7) which was already mature code. Both are solid wm's that pretty much do what you need them to do.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

VastOne

Quote from: PackRat on July 30, 2015, 11:31:45 PM
Quote from: VastOne on July 30, 2015, 09:22:03 PM

I upgrade to the git version of fluxbox - 1.3.7 - after every clean install; it's awesome.

good enough for me, 1.3.7 is now the default in VSIDO

Thanks PackRat

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of a mass development discussion in the GoodBye to Crunchbang thread?

I Lub It!

I dev VSIDO

Snap

Quoteregarding Fluxbox's speed, you might want to try this in your init file:

session.screen0.menuMode: Click
session.autoRaiseDelay: 0

Yep, I already did that. I saw your tip somewhere else.  ;)

Snap

This give a memory comparison of the various wm's:
https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/

I know that article and saved the chart some time ago. Don't get me wrong. I was on Crunchbang for a long while (we have to say the word Crunchbang from time to time in this thread to stay on topic, don't we?) and love OpenBox too, but I prefer what FluxBox gives for only a very small HD, speed and RAM penalty. In my Crunchbang days I had both WMs installed. FB pulled me back twice. You know, that learning curve... OB is much easier. But FB ended up being my WM to go.

FB itself is what brought me here. Vsido is one of the very few distros having FB as default. Not many choices out there while plenty of OB distros everywhere. Thankfully Vsido is awesome on it's own. For me Vsido has three pillars: Debian Sid made easy, FluxBox & SpaceFM. I don't miss Crunchbang or OB at all.

PackRat

Quote from: Snap on July 31, 2015, 06:50:57 AM
Quoteregarding Fluxbox's speed, you might want to try this in your init file:

session.screen0.menuMode: Click
session.autoRaiseDelay: 0

Yep, I already did that. I saw your tip somewhere else.  ;)

as a general FYI for anyone who reads this conversation, keep in mind that many items in the ~/.fluxbox/init file can be interrelated - session.autoRaiseDelay: 0 also needs session.autoRaise: true (which is the default). And I think it may only work with Mouse (sloppy) focus. What is your focus policy set to Snap?

The fluxbox man page is actually one worth reading start to finish.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

Snap

True. I didn't noticed any difference to say the truth. My focus policy was click to focus, of course... just discovered it now and understood why the suggested change did nothing. No auto rise.

QuoteThe fluxbox man page is actually one worth reading start to finish.

It can be said louder but not clearer. Thanks for the slap on the face. Going through it.

Quoteman fluxbox > ~/documents/man-fluxbox

Just to have it always on hand as a tab in medit along with the fluxbox config files in their respective tabs. The init file is a bit tricky to follow. Then the search button and F3 become your friends.

hudson

Thanks for the heads up PackRat...I'm going to have to go through all of the init settings one day...learn one trick and get five problems!

Snap, I followed your same trajectory. Crunchbang and Openbox were great and I used them forever. But now I'm enjoying Fluxbox...especially the dynamite man pages and easy config files...makes things so much simpler.

I totally disagree with corenominal...Crunchbang made running Linux so much easier. Learning the ins and outs of Debian is a total bitch (for me, at least). With Crunchbang I installed and configured in less than a week and ran it for years. I think Debian took a few months for me to be content with it.

Snap

I stepped out from crunchbang when Wheezy started to show its age about year ago. I made a mess of my system having lots of stuff from the backports and compiled stuff needing different libs. Moved to SolydXK while it was rolling and tracking testing. (Now it follows stable though Jessie is still fresh). It still is my main sytem. Too lazy to install and configure everything from scratch. I'll do it some day but not too soon. Currently my workflow is a bit crazy... or absurd. Vsido is always running as a virtual machine on top of SolydK. I do some work in Vsido and some in SolydK. I constantly switch from one to the other with no criterium. Sometimes I surf the web on Vsido, sometimes on SolydK. So many times when playing music, edit pictures or whatever I do, I do it from the guest instead of the host... Crazy...

QuoteI totally disagree with corenominal...Crunchbang made running Linux so much easier. Learning the ins and outs of Debian is a total bitch (for me, at least). With Crunchbang I installed and configured in less than a week and ran it for years. I think Debian took a few months for me to be content with it.

Yep, otherwise we all be using vanilla Debian instead of Debian based distros. The Debian defaults are raw and minimal. People use to talk about what a mess is installing and configuring Arch. Well, for me the only difference is that Debian has an installer. Once installed you have the same kind of raw and crude system needing a lot of work to be done. But folks keep saying that Debian is easier.

hudson

Looking over SolydXK, I think that would of been a wiser choice for me. I didn't know better, so I went with straight Debian. It was nice to find out I could get the 13 DVD's and have all software local. But, to configure, you need to deal with:

- display manager
- window manager
- gtk themes
- fonts
- multimedia codecs
- notifications
- automounting disks
- microcode
- device drivers
- etc, etc

it's really not that hard to install everything, the work is in finding out what you need and making it all look good. Several times I thought I'd just bail to Windows (if only Windows had workspaces) or OS X. I mean, it gets to be a kind of madness setting all this stuff up! But, I shouldn't complain now...the end result is a lovely system you can use for the next five years.

PackRat

#! successor Bunsen Labs now has it's own site and forum.

Need to re-register if interested in joining and were a previous #! forum member.

Good luck to them.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ thanks for that, glad to see them bid farewell to the coat tails of #! and it can now really RIP peacefully .... :) :)

I dev VSIDO

ostrolek

Hello, VastOne, you've been doing this distro for so long and I didn't know. It was Snap, who showed me the way. I thank him for that. You won't recognize my nick, for it is new. I joined #! forums at the same time as you had. I had dropped #!, Debian and gone the Ubuntu way, trying out everything there, and finally stopping with the Ubuntu base on Openbox, which stayed with me for quite a while. I also have Arch with OB. I was using some of the #! scripts on them, some adapted for systemd. I am not a coder, but I used commonsense. Then, I heard of the demise of #!, but I was not that keen to jump back. Later, when I joined, I found how jumpy the mods/devs over there. Oh, Hudson would tell more about that. Joined the Bunsen forum for fun, and I'm glad I did so, as I found Snap, who directed me here. Better late than never.

I've also a Debian Sid on OB. I really like OB, but here I'm going to learn FB here. First I'd read the forums, then only I'll start asking questions. I'm already downloading Vsido 64 bit. Hello to all the guys here!

PackRat

Hello ostrolek.

Enjoy the forums
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo