Crunchbang

hudson

This is an old topic, but I just wanted to add I found some people over at the Cruchbang forums very rude...I had the bright idea...hey, why not BunsenLabs with Fluxbox...so I posted it in the "Ideas and Suggestions" section of their forum and some of the guys with 3k posts started calling me a troll! I mean, come on...I can't post a thread in the "Ideas and Suggestions" forum without being called a troll!

Anyway, will never go back there again.

VastOne

Welcome to VSIDO hudson, we are damned glad to have you... I sincerely believe that will never happen to you here, if it does let me know

We like Fluxbox and have some serious talented people who share without question...

Enjoy!
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

And if you decide to use OpenBox we won't bash you. Instead, We ask for "screenshots or it never hapened"  :P

VastOne

^ +1 Well said Snap 8)

I dev VSIDO

hudson

thanks VastOne and Snap!

jedi

Actually hudson, I think if you go to the Fluxbox homepage, you'll find VSIDO listed as one of the top distro's that come ootb with Fluxbox!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

ozitraveller

Quote from: jedi on July 29, 2015, 07:47:19 AM
Actually hudson, I think if you go to the Fluxbox homepage, you'll find VSIDO listed as one of the top distro's that come ootb with Fluxbox!

@jedi : I just checked the fluxbox site, and don't see VSIDO mentioned anywhere. :(

jedi

Quote from: ozitraveller on July 29, 2015, 11:10:40 PM
@jedi : I just checked the fluxbox site, and don't see VSIDO mentioned anywhere. :(

:o No kidding?   :o  Wow, I thought they once listed the distro's that used it by default, and we were at the top of the list!   :'(

Eating my words now in case anyone is wondering!!!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

jedi

@PackRat, thanks for that!  I was sure we were tops somewhere besides here...
Forum Netiquette

VastOne

That is an intersting site now. It talks of getting help but points to a wiki that is incomplete and has no help. It would behoove whoever is running that site to point to places such as VSIDO for help since we have an abundance of users using FluxBox and sharing that wealth of knowledge...

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

Quotewiki that is incomplete and has no help

You mean the new github page wiki? You're right it's a bit of a pain. The search box at the bottom will usually get you where you need to go, but the old one with the Table of Contents was much better.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

hudson

before I joined I would google some Fluxbox topic and land at the Vsido forums. Fluxbox's wiki seems to need more work but they have great man pages. Here's a fun fact:

Openbox 3.4.11 released - last update: Feb 08, 2010 - 7:49 pm UTC
http://openbox.org/wiki/Openbox:News

Fluxbox 1.3.7 - Bam! Zero Bugs!!11! - Sun Feb 08 12:57:55 UTC 2015
http://www.fluxbox.org/news/

exactly five years later! of course, it just means Openbox is stable...there are lots of benefits to running Openbox...written in C, smaller and faster, etc.

Snap

Package: openbox
Version: 3.6.1-1
Installed-Size: 1205

Package: fluxbox
Version: 1.3.7-1~exp1
Installed-Size: 4064

Yep, noticeable lighter... But can anyone tell fluxbox is not stable? I haven't found issues yet.

Regarding speed I can only speak from my own subjective experience. Yes, Openbox feels a tad faster and snappier, but FB is damn fast too. Fast enough for me. I don't care sacrificing a tiny bit of speed for features.

hudson

hey Snap, I meant Openbox is stable and finished...that's not so bad. But Fluxbox is still being developed, so that's nice too.

regarding Fluxbox's speed, you might want to try this in your init file:

session.screen0.menuMode: Click
session.autoRaiseDelay: 0

This give a memory comparison of the various wm's:
https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops/