x64 ISO with a different installer and need testing

Snap

I've been having a similar issue (the same?) with grub in other Debian based distros with other installers (either virtual or metal) for some time now. Sometimes it asks to replace grub with a new version and it doesn't come through. It typically installs but it doesn't get updated, so no boot. It has to be updated or re-installed afterwards but before rebooting. Sometimes it happens during a dist-upgrade too. So I don't think it's related to installers. Something else is borking grub. Not every time but it happens occasionally.

QuoteI have been using Linux Debian for a year and a half, don't know when I am not considered a noob, but everyday I solve a mystery, and it's always right out front of me,

Two years on Linux here. I still feel like a noob...  ::)  But it's always fun... and endless learning.

jedi

Technically and officially after 30 days of continuous use you may no longer consider yourself a n00b!  By this time you've learned the important part of "how to search" for you problem.  Actually I'm just making that up.  The first time I tried it was like 1993, and I'm still a n00b too!!!  I just don't want to post anything here till I've had a chance to converse with the 'wise one' VastOne.  What the two of us were experiencing was just weirdness that may have been of my making.  We're still not even sure this is/was a problem.  Think Don Quixote and windmills!
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous

zephyr

Both of you must be night owls being up at this time, I have been doing this up all night stuff for 30 years. But, yea you are both right about noobs, either you embrace the fact that Linux development is on-going, and the changes often, plenty to experience. It is enjoyable, and rewarding to reach a goal of accomplishing something that you pursue, not wanting for someone to do it for you. Back to the issue again, I think it is wise to try and see if this phenomena is present in the next distro. I will make a point to download, and do a metal install, that is all I do, and install with USB. Debian has done weird stuff on upgrades, like when Liquorix was down, I couldn't update until I comment out(#) Liquorix in the sources list. It seemed to prevent the update completely. Liquorix not being not available should have not held up the whole process.  Maybe it is systemd? Switched from SourceForge was for what reason? Bad downloads maybe, don't know. But, owe to help anyway I can assist. Thanks-zephyr   
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

Digit

QuoteDo you install to metal?  VirtualBox?  A secondary partition, or hard-drive?

i used to do a lot of my testing in virtualbox, for the convenience.  but have since got a machine dedicated for testing on metal.  it has 4 partitions, mostly used cyclically, sometimes one or two getting held onto for a bit longer.   i think currently there are 3 vsido installs on it.   all from cd burned using wodim (or maybe that last one used cdrecord or something else i forget).