I'm thinking Iceweasel replacement

dizzie

Reclaim your culture, it's within your reach!

My Blog | Facebook | Twitter | G+ | VSIDO |

hakerdefo

My script uses Dan Pollock's hosts file as one of it's sources.
Here is a nice advert blocking extension that sadly skips most peoples radars,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bluhell-firewall/

Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

Snap

Thanks for that, hackerdefo. Much appreciated.

zephyr

^ Ran a d-u little after midnight, browser failed. Changed iceweasel to firefox in menu, and it now works. 

Read a couple weeks back in DW that Debian might be switching back to FireFox, I would guess with sid first. My stable and testing installs are not affected.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160222

@ hakerdefo: Thanks for the link to bluhell, simple and it works!

Z
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

VastOne

Good to see Mozilla and Debian resolve this (finally)...

Interesting thing, all the settings I 'wanted' to work in Iceweasel never would recently ... things like font sizes and remembering zoom levels on pages failed

In firefox they are working as they should AND it seems to run in a lot less memory... I am not sure how this is so but it is
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

^ Yup. they say it's all the same code except the branding, but they behave differently.

Snap

Just did the change. Removed Iceweasel aurora, deleted the line sources list and Firefox came in. You are right. Font sizes behave now.

Snap

It also feels faster... weird. Anyway Iceweasel is the past. Firefox lives in the Debian repos now.

jenom

I have downloaded and installed Pale Moon following link to Linux on their website
only a 22.8 Mb download
Added the Deb 8 repos , and just did apt-get install palemoon
plays youtube videos and secure enough to log into a bank website and pay my bills
runs fast and menus looks like as the older firefox menus
so my vote goes to  PaleMoon

zephyr

^ thanks jenom!

Have been aware of Pale Moon for a while, decided to give it a shot!

Installed Pale Moon and impressed with it so far, uses flash and you-tube works just fine.

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Astevenpusser&package=palemoon

Used wget for install and didn't notice the Debian installer package at bottom of page, hidden past scroll. Going to test this for a while and see how it works out.

Greetings to everyone! : )

Z
CROWZ / STAR / Devuan / refracta / VSIDO

Snap

Been using it exclusively (well, qutebrowser tests aside) for a month or so. I miss nothing from Firefox/Iceweasel. It feels like an old FF, but it gives you all you need without the "fancy stuff" Mozilla added in newer versions. I don't use flash, whatsoever. But I have no need for it.

Regarding the source I've got it directly from their servers instead. Updates are not as frequent as the Mozilla ones. Manual updating is not a mess.

PackRat

I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

PackRat

Is icecat in the debian repos (eldest is on the vsido/win7 machine right now)?

In paranoid mode today and went to this site today which is linked in the "secure firefox" thread on the Void forum. I'll check it out later when the Void repos are back online, maybe IceCat is more in tune with VSIDO philosophy?

The other articles in the "musings" section are a good read, the systemd rant is epic.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

PackRat

Waterfox project

Pretty smooth browser.

IceCat was way too slow and cranked up the cpu usage.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

jedi

Wow, icecat on arch isn't so bad. 4 tabs open plus the e-book reader program that runs with calibre, less than 800Mb's. Oh and spacefm with 6 tabs open. Have to check out how it runs on my VSIDO install...
Forum Netiquette

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."  Anonymous