I'm thinking Iceweasel replacement

PackRat

Quote from: Snap on February 23, 2015, 09:17:53 AM
This is the obvious "best" solution for those that Chrome/ium never floated their boats (me). Too bad that two huge browsers side by side are needed. One of them just to watch videos.

As far as this goes, can't one user have iceweasel/firefox set up with multiple profiles? So anyone can have iceweasel non-flash for everyday use, and iceweasel with flash for videos.

Pretty sure I have seen that done for privacy issues - a mozilla profile that is set up for privacy or actually in a sandbox.

Edit - Confirmed.

1. Create a directory for your flash profile (optional)
2. Run iceweasel -P to create the profile, store the information in the directory created
3. Make sure the profile you want started by default is checked - default is to switch to new one
4. Run iceweasel -P <Name of Profile> to start iceweasel with the flash video profile
5. Create a plugins directory in the new iceweasel profile directory created in Step 1.
6. Install flash plugin to directory created in Step 5.

Should now have a flash-enabled iceweasel profile for watching videos; make menu entries, key bindings as needed.
I am tired of talk that comes to nothing.
-- Chief Joseph

...the sun, the darkness, the winds are all listening to what we have to say.
-- Geronimo

Snap

That sounds like a nice idea. Thanks, Packrat.

Snap

Don't know if this one was mentioned before in the browser threads. I'm trying the DebianJoe's Roaster from the BBQ. (The topic is here).

It's lightweight, very simple, easily customizable and very fast. Don't know if it uses flash at all. it seems not. Or at least I see no hints of flash installed in my system. It plays videos in html5. wget and youtube-dl are integrated. It's less annoying and faster playing youtube html5 in HQ than in iceweasel. It really worths a try. Been checking a few site; Vimeo, etc... and for now no need for flash.

VastOne

You really have to register to read something there?  DAFUQ?

Wow...

I will take your word on it Snap... what is the browsers name?

Found it on the github site.. thanks Snap
VSIDO      VSIDO Change Blog    

I dev VSIDO

Snap

QuoteYou really have to register to read something there?  DAFUQ?

Ooops, Yes. Sorry. I didn't noticed that. The bbq works only if logged in.

Snap

Html5 still plays much worse than flash (stutters, flickers and throttles... sadly). Or at least I've never managed to make it smooth in my systems. But at least this works more or less decently without the risky flash on sight.

Snap

BTW, This seems to be a must for this naked browser.

Snap

Been testing the hackerdefo's script vs adblock edge. It works quite fine but still some ads appear in certain ad heavy sites. adblock edge seems to block a bit more. It seems to work fine fot youtube which is what I was after mainly. Anyway in terrible sites like the gearslutz forums noscript is a must. I wonder if something like noscript would be added to roaster. I'm a total python noob...

Regarding flash. No need for it in many sites and roaster does a good job, but there are still flash only websites out there (sigh!). A cooking site (terrible BTW) I sometimes visit if I miss the daily recipe chapter on TV, doesn't work without flash.  :'(

PackRat

-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

Looks good but doesn't this kind of kill it for us linux dweebs?

I dev VSIDO

PackRat

That's nice, what brought up that page, you request a dev build?

I went directly to their git page, there are build instructions for linux there.

I think the real deal killer is the:

Quoteutilize a user's browsing history to fit them into standard advertising segments – and then provide that segment information to websites and advertisers.

followed by -

QuoteOf course, to make that approach work, Brave would act as a gatekeeper and take a cut of the ad money, which is what would fund the company.

sounds like a pay-to-play scheme in the works for advertisers.
-- Chief Joseph

-- Geronimo

VastOne

^ Feck That Shites....

Not nearly enough to get me to chase that rabbit

I dev VSIDO

hakerdefo

Browser is one of the most important part of any modern and usable distribution. And let's face it, there are not many browsers out there. Firefox & family, Chrome & family, Opera & family. That's it! Other browsers just suck one way or another, big times! Firefox (Iceweasel) is the best available option for us. Period.
Cheers!!!
You Can't Always Git What You Want

VastOne

^ I tend to agree but Iceweasel is such a damned resource hog most of the time... I get tired of my puter sounding like a freaking jet engine

>:(

I dev VSIDO

airtime

Quote from: VastOne on January 27, 2016, 02:31:27 AM
^ Feck That Shites....

Not nearly enough to get me to chase that rabbit

I am with you on this .